Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Batteries

Andart

Reaction score
Ok here is an interesting test .
I have been very I'll and have not flown mavic pro for well over a year , I put away with 4 batteries fully charged , I am getting it out and dusting it off .
Will batteries be dead?
Unaffected?
Shortened life?
Fat?
Unaffected?

We will soon see I will post details .
Fingers cross

Viking

Reaction score
Those batteries has certainly discharge down to 50% or so. After that they might be stabilized and to wake them up wouldn’t be so difficult.

ryszardx

Reaction score
Charge them normally and see if they fully charge. You may check them in DJI Go and see status.

Andart

Reaction score
First update as I opened the bag I pressed button on drone and all four green lights lit up .

apeel

Reaction score
I’m curious. How much charge was showing. I often wonder after letting them discharge to safe storage levels (say 50-60%) how long you can leave them in storage without having to touch up the charge? A month? Several months? a year ? Anyone know the answer can chime in please?

old man mavic

Fly safe,Fly responsibly,Fly happy
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I’m curious. How much charge was showing. I often wonder after letting them discharge to safe storage levels (say 50-60%) how long you can leave them in storage without having to touch up the charge? A month? Several months? a year ? Anyone know the answer can chime in please?
ideally recharge them once a month and then discharge them to storage level this way you keep the chemicals in the cells in good condition

Reactions: apeel

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Adelaide, South Australia, the great southern land
First update as I opened the bag I pressed button on drone and all four green lights lit up .
Well THAT shouldn't happen !!??
Are all of them like that ?

What should have happened . . .
If you didn't change the auto discharge # of days down from 10, they should have discharged to about 55 - 60 % around that 10 days mark from last activation (turned off, charging, or press of a button etc), then they should naturally deplete to an unknown (to me) status, as they will very slowly lose charge just sitting there too.

I'd say after a year, you could probably expect to be down to a fairly low % SOC, I'm going to guess it could be down to a dangerously low level or say 5 - 10 %, let's hope all your batteries are ok.

Here's what I'd do now . . .

I'd check them thoroughly for any swelling.
If the look and fit into the M1P ok, I'd then put them on charge, preferably one at a time, and charge in close proximity to you (while working on something in the same room etc, on the computer, or whatever.
Feel the battery every now and then to check if getting overly warm to hot.
(Mine are usually pretty cool to touch when charging, a lot cooler than when discharging !! Anyone else find this ?)
Once all charged, check for swelling and fit again.
If ok, I'd take all out for a fly.
Run each battery in turn for a 15 - 20 min flight, you should be down to about 20% SOC.
While flying, check for any cell deviations in the Go4 app with each battery while it hovers in sight.
Check battery straight away after landing to see how warm / hot it is, it should be fairly warm but not too hot.
Go through the recharge thing again monitoring / swelling closely, if all appears normal you should be ok.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

WithTheBirds

Reaction score
Well THAT shouldn't happen !!??
Are all of them like that ?

What should have happened . . .
If you didn't change the auto discharge # of days down from 10, they should have discharged to about 55 - 60 % around that 10 days mark from last activation (turned off, charging, or press of a button etc), then they should naturally deplete to an unknown (to me) status, as they will very slowly lose charge just sitting there too.

I'd say after a year, you could probably expect to be down to a fairly low % SOC, I'm going to guess it could be down to a dangerously low level or say 5 - 10 %, let's hope all your batteries are ok.

Here's what I'd do now . . .

I'd check them thoroughly for any swelling.
If the look and fit into the M1P ok, I'd then put them on charge, preferably one at a time, and charge in close proximity to you (while working on something in the same room etc, on the computer, or whatever.
Feel the battery every now and then to check if getting overly warm to hot.
(Mine are usually pretty cool to touch when charging, a lot cooler than when discharging !! Anyone else find this ?)
Once all charged, check for swelling and fit again.
If ok, I'd take all out for a fly.
Run each battery in turn for a 15 - 20 min flight, you should be down to about 20% SOC.
While flying, check for any cell deviations in the Go4 app with each battery while it hovers in sight.
Check battery straight away after landing to see how warm / hot it is, it should be fairly warm but not too hot.
Go through the recharge thing again monitoring / swelling closely, if all appears normal you should be ok.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
5-10% isn't dangerously low.

It is pointless trying to guess what the actual level might be. Even in hibernation mode the battery monitoring SOC uses some power while routinely performing measurements and logging. Hibernation is a low power state however shipping mode is the only condition where the SOC is fully shut down.

Self discharge of any LiPO will vary subject to temperature and cell condition.

Reactions: old man mavic

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
5-10% isn't dangerously low.
I think it is for long term storage like this.
Not so much flying down to say 5% occasionally, then recharging fully if flying again soon, or up to about 50% for storage.

I've often seen opinion on LIPOs that flying to 5% all the time will have an effect on battery life, but then this may be others opinions, some may be informed (others not) but the places and number of times I have read this leads me to think there is probably something correct in it.

This article for example https://www.dronethusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/The-Ultimate-LiPo-Drone-Battery-Care-Guide-Dronethusiast.pdf
States a few times through it that running your Lipos down too far regularly will damage them, cause resistance, which builds that vicious cycle of further degradation.
Eg. Regardless of quality, over-discharging lithium polymer batteries is the most common cause of puffing, so hopefully this emphasises the problem and reminds you just how damaging it is to flatten your batteries!
and
A battery that is flattened every time it’s used, may only last 40-50 cycles, so aim for no more than 80% or certainly a resting voltage of 3.6V or more per cell and you’ll get a lot more from your cells.

One thing I've seen on Youtube is vids of ways to "restore you lipo from low voltage", not something that sounds like a good thing to have to do.
This is something one could expect to happen after a year or so, with natural battery depletion.

WithTheBirds

Reaction score
I think it is for long term storage like this.
Not so much flying down to say 5% occasionally, then recharging fully if flying again soon, or up to about 50% for storage.

I've often seen opinion on LIPOs that flying to 5% all the time will have an effect on battery life, but then this may be others opinions, some may be informed (others not) but the places and number of times I have read this leads me to think there is probably something correct in it.

This article for example https://www.dronethusiast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/The-Ultimate-LiPo-Drone-Battery-Care-Guide-Dronethusiast.pdf
States a few times through it that running your Lipos down too far regularly will damage them, cause resistance, which builds that vicious cycle of further degradation.
Eg. Regardless of quality, over-discharging lithium polymer batteries is the most common cause of puffing, so hopefully this emphasises the problem and reminds you just how damaging it is to flatten your batteries!
and
A battery that is flattened every time it’s used, may only last 40-50 cycles, so aim for no more than 80% or certainly a resting voltage of 3.6V or more per cell and you’ll get a lot more from your cells.

One thing I've seen on Youtube is vids of ways to "restore you lipo from low voltage", not something that sounds like a good thing to have to do.
This is something one could expect to happen after a year or so, with natural battery depletion.
Consistently flying down to low SOC will reduce service life- no question. Storing at lower SOC has actually been demonstrated to be beneficial. The risk is that left unattended self discharge might take the cell to total depletion, higher charge levels provide a sensible safety margin.

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Consistently flying down to low SOC will reduce service life- no question. Storing at lower SOC has actually been demonstrated to be beneficial. The risk is that left unattended self discharge might take the cell to total depletion, higher charge levels provide a sensible safety margin.
Pretty sure ideal storage level is around 50%, maybe down to 20 or 30%, it gives some leeway if you aren't flying for a while, as can happen with people living with extremes of climates (heat and cold / rain / snow etc).
Either that or have to get them out to check once a month, onto a charger to top off if needed.

It'd be interesting to hear back form the OP as to level in other batteries, and if he finds anything unusual like swelling or charging / discharging issues with heat, or cell deviation etc.

An M1P battery should definitely have gone down to 2 solid / 1 flashing led after 10 days, something amiss there.

Js415

Reaction score
I've always heard that they should be stored at 50%
I've also heard that they will drop down to a storage level after a certain amount of days. How in the world did they manage to stay at 100% for so long?

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The Mavic batteries have a large margin of safety at the bottom of the scale. At least the M2's certainly do. Even when you reach 0%, you still have several tenths of a volt and about 2 minutes of flight time left before it completely cuts out.

DanMan32

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I've always heard that they should be stored at 50%
I've also heard that they will drop down to a storage level after a certain amount of days. How in the world did they manage to stay at 100% for so long?
Elves? Like in the shoemaker fable?

Andart

Reaction score
Ok finally set up charger , all 4 batteries have have survived but obviously haven't done a health check yet .
Firstly some thing that doesn't normally happen , a man admiring his wrong. Don't know what I saw but all 4 batteries show 2 green dots and all four are in charger .
Sorry about incorrect info at beginning

old man mavic

Fly safe,Fly responsibly,Fly happy
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
you might find that flight time has suffered a little as they have not been used for so long the most important thing to check is that the cells are all the same voltage,they could recover some time after several charges

MAvic_South_Oz

Reaction score
Don't know what I saw but all 4 batteries show 2 green dots and all four are in charger .
That's quite ok then, I was expecting after 12 months for the charge to be a lot lower than 2 green . . . hopefully when you put them in and check each battery status they will all be pretty even in cell voltage.
Sounds like it should be ok, you can do this simply by connecting up and turning on drone and controller with device screen (just like ready to fly), but not running the motors (take props off as a precaution), turn off Mavic and change battery, turn on and check each one in turn.
Safer than doing this in flight.

All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zazikato