DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Auto Discharge Timer

Spetnaut

Reactions
I know in previous drones you could change the timer for the smart battery to auto discharge. There does not seem to be this option anymore with the M2P. 10 days seems to be a bit to long. Is there any work around for this, besides having to drain them manually?

Last edited:
Is there any work around for this, besides have to drain them manually?
That setting defaults to 10 days and cannot be changed on Mavic 2 batteries. The workaround is to only charge the batteries you're actually going to use.

Just use the usb adapter and discharge M2P battery into your phone or tablet until it shows 2 solid leds on the M2P battery.

Conservation of energy.
That's how I need to do it too ... the Battery to Power Bank Adaptor was delivered today, so I after a flight, I fully charge and if I am not able within 3 days to fly again, I'll charge other devices with it (let's see, not sure, but as I have 4 batteries, that may be too much still).

I tried one of those. Way way too slow. Get a real discharger as a couple of us linked above. With these you can set the discharge terminal voltage to whatever you want and they work fast. For connectors you can get cheap Mavic 2 car chargers and cut off the connectors. Then splice onto whatever you need to connect to the discharger, like an XT-60 or whatever.

Reactions: Spetnaut
I know in previous drones you could change the timer for the smart battery to auto discharge. There does not seem to be this option anymore with the M2P. 10 days seems to be a bit to long. Is there any work around for this, besides having to drain them manually?

Why do you think 10 days is too long?

Discharge faster than 1.5A is just fine. The battery is designed for much higher discharge rates (someone here probably knows the C rating) and does just that in flight.

As I write this I have one MAVIC2 battery being discharged to 60%. Have used it 5 times now and find it works very well. Not quick but then you don't want to discharge too quick .. nice and gentle. Can discharge to 0% or 60% .. auto turn off.

Why do you think 10 days is too long?
Any length of time a LI-Po is left fully charged, will shorten its lifespan. Being a day or ten days. I rather drain mine to a safe level and maintain them for years to come. These batteries are not cheap.

As I write this I have one MAVIC2 battery being discharged to 60%. Have used it 5 times now and find it works very well. Not quick but then you don't want to discharge too quick .. nice and gentle. Can discharge to 0% or 60% .. auto turn off.
How long would you say it takes to drain one down to 60%? Think I am going to give it a try. Don’t need anything superior to this if it gets the job done, nice and simple.

Any length of time a LI-Po is left fully charged, will shorten its lifespan. Being a day or ten days. I rather drain mine to a safe level and maintain them for years to come. These batteries are not cheap.

Agreed - I've just not seen any scientific studies that demonstrate the damage due to short-term, fully-charged storage. DJI have presumably done as much testing on this as anyone, so I wonder what led them to select 10 days.

Agreed - I've just not seen any scientific studies that demonstrate the damage due to short-term, fully-charged storage. DJI have presumably done as much testing on this as anyone, so I wonder what led them to select 10 days.
What I wonder even more, is why the option to change how many days, was removed.
Hopefully it’s not a ploy for them to sell more batteries and just a bad decision.

How long would you say it takes to drain one down to 60%? Think I am going to give it a try. Don’t need anything superior to this if it gets the job done, nice and simple.
About 1.5 to 1.45 hours. I connect the battery, 2 presses on the battery switch the discharger does it thing.No need to sit around and wait as it turns of when target reached. I read somewhere that after 20 charges you should drain battery to 0% and recharge. This discharger can drain to 0%. No need to connect to a power supply. Can start the discharge straight after flying while driving home if you want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Ludwig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov