DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery charge cycle counter

scro

Reactions
Does anyone know what specifically counts as a charge cycle for the batteries? They have a built in charge counter but what, specifically, does it count? Each time the battery reaches 100%? Is it when the battery is on charge for more than a set duration? If I charge the battery to, say, 70% and then discharge to 35% would that count as a cycle? Would charging up to 50%, storing for 2 weeks, then charging up to 100% count as 2 cycles?

Does anyone know what specifically counts as a charge cycle for the batteries? They have a built in charge counter but what, specifically, does it count? Each time the battery reaches 100%? Is it when the battery is on charge for more than a set duration? If I charge the battery to, say, 70% and then discharge to 35% would that count as a cycle? Would charging up to 50%, storing for 2 weeks, then charging up to 100% count as 2 cycles?
2 x 50% charges = 1 cycle

And, being devil's advocate?... does 2x 40% count as 1 cycle? How about 1x 51% (charge battery fully from 49%)?

According to my observation, the cycle count is incremented if a discharging action is followed by a charging action. The % does not matter.

No and no
So, I drain the battery to 20% and put 40% charge in it to take it to 60% and then store it for a while. I then want to fly again so I put another 40% charge in the battery to bring it to 100%. that's 2x40% charges, but you say it wouldn't count as a charge cycle? That's approximately how I usually use my batteries, and I am definitely seeing the charge counters going up on mine.

I was interested to find out specifically what event(s) need to happen for the counter to be incremented by 1. Particularly because of the way I use my batteries (charge up to about half for storage and then fully charge for flight)

Last edited:
So, I drain the battery to 20% and put 40% charge in it to take it to 60% and then store it for a while. I then want to fly again so I put another 40% charge in the battery to bring it to 100%. that's 2x40% charges
When the charges you put in add up to 100%, that's 1 charge cycle.
2 x 40% does not equal a full charge cycle.

I suspect most people only put 70%-85% of a full charge in each time they charge as they'll stop flying well before getting to 0%. Does this mean that the charge counters aren't counting every time the battery is charged then? Is there any evidence to back up the claim that the counter counts multiples of 100% charge?

What @boblui says about sequential discharge/charge events certainly makes sense and would be easy for the onboard circuitry to detect. I wonder if the charge/discharge amount is significant? eg, put a charged battery in the drone, power it up for 15 seconds and then switch off and recharge.

I suspect it needs to be an active discharge event rather than passive. By passive I mean the natural very slow loss of charge a battery will have when stored and not being used.

Last edited:
According to my observation, the cycle count is incremented if a discharging action is followed by a charging action. The % does not matter.
Your observations are wrong. The cycle count clicks over when mah returned to the pack = the full charge capacity.

The idea of the battery's charge status monitor counting up the % of charge put into the battery is and incrementing the counter each time the equivalent of 100% of charge is put in is quite credible. However it would count the theoretical full 100% charge cycles rather than the typical charge cycles of around 20% to 100%.

My batteries are numbered 1-3 and I cycle through them sequentially. After 10 sequential cycles 2 batteries were claiming 10 charge cycles and one was claiming 12. Something had made one battery think it had been charged 2 more times than the others.

Your observations are wrong. The cycle count clicks over when mah returned to the pack = the full charge capacity.
So if I charge it up to only 99% every time, the count will never be incremented ? That will be great for retaining the re-sell value ! The question is, is this true ?

So if I charge it up to only 99% every time, the count will never be incremented ? That will be great for retaining the re-sell value ! The question is, is this true ?
How did you get to that conclusion.....?

The first 1% on the next charge will click it over (assuming 99% since the last cycle count)....

Reactions: everBit
Not quite how I understood it. 1st charge won't register, but once you start the second charge the counter will go up 1 (ie 99% +99% = 198%) after 3 charges the counter will be at 2 (3x 99% = 297%). Once the counter gets to 100 charges you'll have actually charged up 102 times (have i done the maths right there?)

Not quite how I understood it. 1st charge won't register, but once you start the second charge the counter will go up 1 (ie 99% +99% = 198%) after 3 charges the counter will be at 2 (3x 99% = 297%). Once the counter gets to 100 charges you'll have actually charged up 102 times (have i done the maths right there?)
The cycle counter is simply comparing mah returned to cells during charge against total capacity.

The cycle counter is simply comparing mah returned to cells during charge against total capacity.
And has thins been proven by testing/observation or reverse engineering the battery monitoring firmware, or just an expectation of how it works?

It certainly makes sense, and I'm certainly not disputing that as to how the cycle counter works.

Ok, it turns out that someone has asked DJI technical support in China and got the following info : the counter is incremented for every cumulative mAh discharged equal to 75 % of the battery capacity

38C2D47E-CA5E-42FD-8C14-A54C41601D3A.png

Reactions: everBit and scro
Uum what was the launch date of the mavic mini? Is that a date on the post? If so is it 13th April 2019? Could the post stem from a pre lauch tester?

Or perhaps a different DJI drone? The text doesn't seem to specify which "intelligent flight battery" it relates to. Either way, it's quite likely that the same philosophy applies to the current MM batteries.

Reactions: astrohound24
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent