DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Cooling time (Air 2s)

Mr Mint

Reactions
Hello I just want to ask every one about when I can charge my batteries for my Air 2s. What I have been doing is after I use all 3 batteries, I let them all cool down for about an hour At this point I place them on the charging hub and recharge the batteries. My question is am I charging my batteries too soon after a 1 hour cooling time or should I leave the batteries overnight before charging the batteries up again. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Mr Mint

Reactions: old man mavic
@Mr Mint its not really a set time that is important ,but the fact that they have cooled down thats important ,the time it takes for that to happen, is really dependant on the ambient temperature of the air where the batteries are being stored apart from that they are designed to have a safeguard circuit built into them, to prevent charging to take place if they are above a certain temp what you should never do is leave them in a hot vehicle ,or direct sunlight after use as this can shorten their life span and even in the severe temps reached inside a vehicle cause them to burst into flames, with the consequences that that could have

Regarding the previous posting, I have to say that the ambient temperature is in a cool part of my basement in my house. As a result the batteries are very cool after an hour. So I guess I am OK to go with what I am doing unless someone else has a better idea. Thanks for the reply so far. Any further comments. Mr Mint

Reactions: old man mavic
OMM is right, as usual, that it's not time but temperature. If you were looking to safely cool them down quicker, either for storage or to recharge, I would suggest standing them tall and running a small desk fan over them. By standing them up you are exposing more surface area of the battery and at least potentially allowing them to cool quicker. Some might argue that you're now creating a chimney and trapping the heat in longer, and they could be right, but I think the chances are greater of more surface area cooling quicker than that scenario.

I just touch mine to see how cool they are , usually after 30 minutes, If they are cool or just slightly warm, I charge them. The battery will know if it's too early and won't let them charge, if they are to hot. You can cool them even faster by placing them in a feezer for just 3 minutes. Then you take them out in the room for 15 more minutes. They are usually cool enough to charge after doing that. Some people will say don't use the freezer, but 3 minutes won't cause any harm and the batteries will still be luke warm and not develop condensation from being too cold. If you use a freezer, USE A TIMER. You WILL forget you put them in there , trust me. I've left mine in over night several times, because I forgot them. Nothing happened though. I put the battery or batteries in my pockets and let them warm back up by my body heat. No harm came to them. I've done this several times. Accidentally of course. Anyway, just 3 minutes in the freezer and you can charge them within 15 minutes after you take them out.

i guess that here in the UK excessive temps are a rare occurrence ,so we dont have some of the battery swelling issues that occur in hotter climates ,we do however have the issues of very high temps inside vehicles, that occur on some of the very sunny days we get here ,although they can be few and far between

Reactions: hiflyer201
Doesn't the charging hub via the battery know when its ok to charge the battery in regards to temps? When i put a hot battery down to charge it doesn't always just start charging....

Doesn't the charging hub via the battery know when its ok to charge the battery in regards to temps
I used to go by that but now I take them out and place them on or in something cool. In my experience I've found they cool fairly fast.

Doesn't the charging hub via the battery know when its ok to charge the battery in regards to temps? When i put a hot battery down to charge it doesn't always just start charging....
That's true. I think the sensor is in the battery itself though. Not sure.

I use an inexpensive handheld infrared temp guage to check and when under 100F the batts will charge. $13 Amazon and Walmart. Works great on motors and body parts too. Lol even check your hot water temp.

Reactions: hiflyer201
That's true. I think the sensor is in the battery itself though. Not sure.
you can see battery temps in the App so im sure it is it just tells the charging hub it can charge...

Hello I just want to ask every one about when I can charge my batteries for my Air 2s. What I have been doing is after I use all 3 batteries, I let them all cool down for about an hour At this point I place them on the charging hub and recharge the batteries. My question is am I charging my batteries too soon after a 1 hour cooling time or should I leave the batteries overnight before charging the batteries up again. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Mr Mint
The built-in temperature monitor won’t let you charge it until they’re cold sufficiently and put them on charge and it’ll flash certain color I don’t remember and it will charge once it cools down

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS