DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery discharge temperature

k9kids

Reactions
Much to my surprise when I took a battery from my GPC case it was in a discharge state and felt warm. So I got the digital temperature gun and measured the temp vs another battery that was in a normal state.

14 degree difference in temperature. 79.3 vs 93.3.

Didn’t expect that. The batteries are surrounded by foam and fit tightly into their slots.

I think from now on the batteries stay out of the case until it is time to go fly.

Just passing on my observations.

or don’t store them with a full charge. I always charge my batteries to ~60% after using them and store them like that.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I always fully charge my batteries when I plan to go fly. Then something happens and I cannot.

Much to my surprise when I took a battery from my GPC case it was in a discharge state and felt warm. So I got the digital temperature gun and measured the temp vs another battery that was in a normal state.

14 degree difference in temperature. 79.3 vs 93.3.

Didn’t expect that. The batteries are surrounded by foam and fit tightly into their slots.

I think from now on the batteries stay out of the case until it is time to go fly.

Just passing on my observations.

I too experienced this - and I also own a GPC case.

And now I also leave the batteries out of the case!

Stay safe.

I too experienced this - and I also own a GPC case.

And now I also leave the batteries out of the case!

Stay safe.
No reason to leave them out of the case. The minor warmth is part of the normal, slow discharge process, to reach storage mode.

Last edited:
the batteries for our drones pack a lot of punch for their size ,and any time the chemical process from charging, or discharging,is in progress then heat is a by product of that process

Reactions: Flygmaskin
I would suspect that’s how the auto discharge works. The battery converts stored energy to heat, how else could they have solved it? Where would the energy go?

So no need to worry. Although, if for some reason my batteries where auto discharging, I would probably take them out of their case.

Reactions: Mrmund
I would suspect that’s how the auto discharge works. The battery converts stored energy to heat, how else could they have solved it? Where would the energy go?

So no need to worry. Although, if for some reason my batteries where auto discharging, I would probably take them out of their case.
It’s designed to do this, see entry #4 above

It’s designed to do this, see entry #4 above
The manual is not stating how the magic of discharging works, it just states that it is normal to feel a moderate amount of heat coming from the battery while the discharge is in effect.

To me it’s obvious that the heat produced is not a byproduct from discharging, it’s the primary product.

Reactions: Ice_2k
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost