DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery error - unable to land - NO RTH - hovering with yellow blinking

LukasBlecha

Reactions
Few days ago I experienced really weird behavior. I took off, and then got a "battery error" warning and DISCONNECT. Mavic was hovering 2 meters above the grass with yellow flashing lights, unable to connect to controller or land in RTH mode. I was simply unable to land this thing. In app there was set "RTH when disconnect - NOT hover". Newest firmware 1.03, newest DJI Go 4 app, Galaxy S7 phone.
Here is a video:

And here are the flight logs from HealthyDrones of this situation. It is split to a few separate logs, dont know why.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

After I finally landed in approx 15 minutes, I restarted everything and then I made a normal flight:

BUT same problem occured few hours later, with another flight. Although disconnect was when aircraft was far from me, again - NO RETURN TO HOME!!! Here is a log:

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. Lukas

That's pretty scary stuff. Hope DJI can help you out. I'd be afraid to fly that thing far from home, until they do?

Few days ago I experienced really weird behavior. I took off, and then got a "battery error" warning and DISCONNECT. Mavic was hovering 2 meters above the grass with yellow flashing lights, unable to connect to controller or land in RTH mode. I was simply unable to land this thing. In app there was set "RTH when disconnect - NOT hover". Newest firmware 1.03, newest DJI Go 4 app, Galaxy S7 phone.
Here is a video:

And here are the flight logs from HealthyDrones of this situation. It is split to a few separate logs, dont know why.

After I finally landed in approx 15 minutes, I restarted everything and then I made a normal flight:

BUT same problem occured few hours later, with another flight. Although disconnect was when aircraft was far from me, again - NO RETURN TO HOME!!! Here is a log:

Hi Lukas, apart from flight log and behavior analysis of your Mavic, sure I wouldn't fly again with that battery until things have been properly addressed (and solved).

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have noticed this issue with all of my 3 batteries.

The sum of events to me is significant enough to ask DJI support to take a look at your flight data, and keep your Mavic grounded until then. A friend had a crash last week with a Matrice 100 that is being investigated apparently due to a battery error, happy end just because the quad was flying in an open area and luckily enough just the drone itself was involved. These things sometimes have their flaws.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

At DJI.com website online chat they just told me " If the battery error persists. i suggest to send it back to our service center for us to check what caused this issue". Hmmm, I was waiting for my Mavic for 9 weeks and now immediately send it back? Hmmm...

Here is a video:

I'd clean off the battery connections & make sure its seating properly. It acts like the battery is coming lose during flying.

james: battery connectors are 100% clean. It was brand new batteries. Seating perfect. If there would be some problem with battery, I would notice it on motors.... What is weird - after firmware update the batteries did not update at all. No warning about "inconsistent firmware".

First thing I would do is to reset it to factory default and force a f/w update on everything. Nothing to lose by doing this.

I experienced this same behavior. In my case a defective DJI cable was to blame. I was using the USB-C cable with my Nexus 6P and this cable would work fine when it was perfectly straight, but when it gets scrunched up in the phone holder I was getting Battery errors and disconnects. Try using a different cable attached to the bottom USB port. That solved my problem.

Reactions: Snoweman
james: battery connectors are 100% clean. It was brand new batteries. Seating perfect. If there would be some problem with battery, I would notice it on motors.... What is weird - after firmware update the batteries did not update at all. No warning about "inconsistent firmware".
Something is definitely wrong if it did not ask to update batteries and you are not getting a "inconsistent firmware" warning. Have you tried reinstalling the firmware on the MP? I would try that and see if then requests a battery update when you install your other batteries. If it doesn't, then I would think something is haywire with the communication between the MP and the batteries and needs to be returned.

I experienced this same behavior. In my case a defective DJI cable was to blame. I was using the USB-C cable with my Nexus 6P and this cable would work fine when it was perfectly straight, but when it gets scrunched up in the phone holder I was getting Battery errors and disconnects. Try using a different cable attached to the bottom USB port. That solved my problem.

Strange that you got Battery Errors with a bad cable. I have had issues with the provided cables (disconnects, blank screen) so know the score there but never a battery error. I wonder if it simply a translation error in the app itself and it is not really a "Battery Error" then.

Here is a video:

From your description it's possible there was a batteryComm error. More could be learned if you would provide the .txt from one of those flights. Not the output from HD, but the original .txt you submitted to HD. You can attach it to a post; it doesn't need to be Dropboxed.

BudWalker: Thank you. Attached original flight records for those 5 problematic flights mentioned in my 1st post.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-10_[09-54-29].txt
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-10_[09-57-31].txt
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-10_[09-57-55].txt
    164.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-10_[10-04-04].txt
    23.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-10_[15-13-11].txt
    270.8 KB · Views: 6
BudWalker: Thank you. Attached original flight records for those 5 problematic flights mentioned in my 1st post.
I didn't find any indication of a battery Comm error. This would show up in the SMART_Battery.status field. The DJI Go App no longer reports the nonSmart battery stuff so we can't look at those values. I don't think there is much to see there for these incidents.

Thank you anyway, hope DJI will come with some explanation. I reinstalled firmware today again for my Mavic. Any way how to check if the firmware of smart battery is successfully updated as well?

Thank you anyway, hope DJI will come with some explanation. I reinstalled firmware today again for my Mavic. Any way how to check if the firmware of smart battery is successfully updated as well?

How did you reinstall the firmware? And also curious how to check if battery is updated../

I saw that your max battery temperature was 32 degrees F, which, after 15 minutes of flight seems awfully low.

How cold was it outside?

I saw that your max battery temperature was 32 degrees F, which, after 15 minutes of flight seems awfully low.

How cold was it outside?
That's because the battery temp isn't saved in the .txt. A value of 0 (degrees C) is the default. That gets converted to 32 degrees F

That's because the battery temp isn't saved in the .txt. A value of 0 (degrees C) is the default. That gets converted to 32 degrees F

That's odd because I have an account at healthydrones.com too and all of my flights show varied battery temperatures and the max is over 100 degrees F.

Now...granted, my flights are with an Inspire 1...but, that shouldn't make a difference, I would think.

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Reactions: Fried Toast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members