DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery error with 2 of my 3 batteries

jantje88

Reactions
Bought my Mavic Pro Fly More Combo with 3 batteries in September 2017. Production Date of the batteries is July 2017.

2 of the 3 batteries give a battery error now, on the controller and in the app. 'Renewing' the firmware via the DJI Assistant 2 app, which should also update the battery I read about, did not fix the problem. In the DJI GO app, everything is green. Just charged the batteries only 15 and 20 times.

Just bad luck or is there something I can try?

Last edited:
Bought my Mavic Pro Fly More Combo with 3 batteries in September 2017. Production Date of the batteries is July 2017.

2 of the 3 batteries give a battery error now, on the controller and in the app. 'Renewing' the firmware via the DJI Assistant 2 app, which should also update the battery I read about, did not fix the problem. In the DJI GO app, everything is green. Just charged the batteries only 15 and 20 times.

Just bad luck or is there something I can try?
the battery that was in the drone at the time gets updated then you need to put another battery in the drone and update that one and the same with the last one should work

Reactions: Thomas B
the battery that was in the drone at the time gets updated then you need to put another battery in the drone and update that one and the same with the last one should work
Thanks for you reply. I am not completely sure if I understand you right. The battery which was in the drone when 'refreshing' the firmware of the drone still gives the battery error. I assume that battery should work again if 'refreshing' the firmware was the solution in my case?

By the way: There is less then 0.1V between the 3 cells.

Thanks for you reply. I am not completely sure if I understand you right. The battery which was in the drone when 'refreshing' the firmware of the drone still gives the battery error. I assume that battery should work again if 'refreshing' the firmware was the solution in my case?

By the way: There is less then 0.1V between the 3 cells.
thats unusual did you have everything turned on and linked Ie drone, controller, and app on display, when you did the update also what error message are you getting

thats unusual did you have everything turned on and linked Ie drone, controller, and app on display, when you did the update also what error message are you getting
I "refreshed" the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 app in a Windows laptop connected the drone with a USB cable to that laptop.

I guess the controller has nothing to do with it in this case?

I "refreshed" the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2 app in a Windows laptop connected the drone with a USB cable to that laptop.

i have never used the assistant app to do any update always use the app if and when i get a message on start up that new firmware is needed,and i have never had any issues doing it that way it seems there is an issue somewhere try deleting the app and then reload it and see what happens

Reactions: Thomas B
i have never used the assistant app to do any update always use the app if and when i get a message on start up that new firmware is needed,and i have never had any issues doing it that way it seems there is an issue somewhere try deleting the app and then reload it and see what happens
When not using the app, the 'Battery error' is also on the remote, so I don't think it has anything to to with the DJI GO app.
Updating the firmware with the app works all the time, but with the DJI Assistant 2 app it is possible to reinstall the current firmware, which could fix the battery error in some cases. That's why I have tried that.

When not using the app, the 'Battery error' is also on the remote, so I don't think it has anything to to with the DJI GO app.
Updating the firmware with the app works all the time, but with the DJI Assistant 2 app it is possible to reinstall the current firmware, which could fix the battery error in some cases. That's why I have tried that.
sorry i was not much help hope you get it sorted out

Reactions: shoofly
I currently have 4 batteries. 3 were originally bought in March 2017 and 1 in April 2019 to replace a slightly puffed original. They all work on firmware 1.0400.100 installed via dankdownloader and dumbledor and haven’t asked for updates or given error messages. You can check for software versions for controller, drone, battery and Go4 in one of the information pages of the app.

I currently have 4 batteries. 3 were originally bought in March 2017 and 1 in April 2019 to replace a slightly puffed original. They all work on firmware 1.0400.100 installed via dankdownloader and dumbledor and haven’t asked for updates or given error messages. You can check for software versions for controller, drone, battery and Go4 in one of the information pages of the app.
Thanks @BossBob for your suggestion. I have tried both apps on my Windows laptop but I can't find the mentioned screens to view the firmware of the drone, controller and battery. Do you use an app on your phone to do this?

DJI Go4 on an iPad , general menu (3 dots top rhs of screen), scroll to the bottom, About. Couldn’t find battery version there, I’ll fire up my laptop and check Assistant 2. Be warned, I’m using older versions of both Go4 and Assistant 2 as most, if not all the updates to these programs introduced more restrictions than fixes or improvements.

OK - I always get battery error when the batteries are in smart auto-discharge mode ( have set mine to 5 days ). Take the battery off the Mavic then turn it on - then turn it off - install on the Mavic go through the start cycle & that should work for you.
Cheers

OK - I always get battery error when the batteries are in smart auto-discharge mode ( have set mine to 5 days ). Take the battery off the Mavic then turn it on - then turn it off - install on the Mavic go through the start cycle & that should work for you.
Cheers
Palliz, This does not make much sense to me but some folks on this forum have said to never use a battery that has begun to auto discharge. Put it back on the charger even for a few minutes of charging. Not sure if it is an old wives tale but I have started to charge my batteries if they may have entered self discharge. Your method may also resolve the alleged problem. There are reports on here of drones dropping from the sky....so I am paranoid ?.

Plug in the problematic battery, turn the drone on, connect everything, wait for the error, shut it down, upload the log.

Put it back on the charger even for a few minutes of charging.

No, charge it to full. The battery will hold voltage until you take off but the capacity after auto discharge is greatly reduced. What auto discharge does is brings the voltage to 3.7V/cell at rest, it's going to be way lower under load which is why you should always charge your batteries to full after they've been in storage mode.

i use a hp 2in1 touch screen laptop and always have used the dji assistant 2 for updates and calibration and have never had any issues in fact i just calibrated my mpp sensors this morning and no issues,my point don’t be afraid

Thanks all for your reply :)

On the controller are you getting anything more than battery error? For example " battery error - overcurrent"?
No, only 'Battery error' on the controller' and 'Battery cell s broken' in the DJI Go 4 app.

Only 1 battery is now on 'Battery error' with these volts on the 3 cells: 4,16V, 4,31V, 4,31V.
Not sure why the one with a problem before is healty again.
I guess a battery with these difference in voltage is not recoverable anymore with (dis)charging or something?
Cheers
Took out the 'battery error' battery, turned it on and on and put it back in the Mavic. Took a bit longer then before, but the 'Battery error' is there again. The voltage of the cells is different now. Before turning if off and on outside the Mavic: 4,16, 4,31 4,31. After: 4,12, 4,27, 4,27.
Plug in the problematic battery, turn the drone on, connect everything, wait for the error, shut it down, upload the log.
Attached the log file.

Attachments

• 19-06-10-02-59-11_FLY070.DAT
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
It seems to me it's simply imbalanced. Did you try discharging it until it shuts off and then charging it again and seeing if it stills report errors? From the logs I can see the AC knows the battery level even after it reports battery error.

Maybe try doing it outside or something in case the battery is actually physically damaged and decides to go ballistic ?

It seems to me it's simply imbalanced. Did you try discharging it until it shuts off and then charging it again and seeing if it stills report errors? From the logs I can see the AC knows the battery level even after it reports battery error.

Maybe try doing it outside or something in case the battery is actually physically damaged and decides to go ballistic ?
Yes, tried it by turning on the Mavic and wait untill is shuts down.
Anything else I can try?

I am wondering if anyone was able to recover an battery with 'battery error' in the meantime?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent