DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery failure mid flight

KingPieter

Reactions
Hello everyone

I was flying my DJI mavic air about an hour ago and expereinced a hart attack due to a battery failure mid air. I was testing out my brand new battery (the official one from DJI) and he failed mid air. The aircraft itself landed in a tree but I was able to recover it.

My question is: "How was this possible?". I was flying in sport mode before I went further and I used sport mode to go further away from me but I don't know if this may influence this issue.

Tnx for all the answers :D

A few questions:

1. How do you know the battery failed?
2.Was the battery in the drone when you found it?
3. Was the drone still turned on?
4. Did you try to restart the drone after the crash?
5. What was the battery % afterwards?

1. The aircraft gave a battery error warning and landed automatically, I couldn't cancel it :/ It also started the RTH secuence
2. Yes the battery was just doing fine but the status dropped down to one light instead of 3. When I returned to my home, I waited till the battery cooled down and connected it to my charger and suddenly the status showed 3 bright lights.
3. The lights of the drone were on when I founded him. The compass was discalibrated though.
4. I tried to restart the craft and it seems to have no problems at all. The app was showing an update warning but I checked the firmware in the DJI assistent application and I just needed to update it to the newer version.
5. Before the failure it showed a % of 70. During the crash the app showed nothing like there wasn't a battery. After the crash the battery status was showing one bright light but when I plugged it in, it went up to 3.

1. The aircraft gave a battery error warning and landed automatically, I couldn't cancel it :/ It also started the RTH secuence
2. Yes the battery was just doing fine but the status dropped down to one light instead of 3. When I returned to my home, I waited till the battery cooled down and connected it to my charger and suddenly the status showed 3 bright lights.
3. The lights of the drone were on when I founded him. The compass was discalibrated though.
4. I tried to restart the craft and it seems to have no problems at all. The app was showing an update warning but I checked the firmware in the DJI assistent application and I just needed to update it to the newer version.
5. Before the failure it showed a % of 70. During the crash the app showed nothing like there wasn't a battery. After the crash the battery status was showing one bright light but when I plugged it in, it went up to 3.

I suggest that you check and/or post the flight log - that will show what happened in detail.

For sure, post the logs. The experts will find the defective component and we will join together and make DJI pay for their inferior products!

I think this one will be the right one ;)

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-04-01_[18-37-55][2].txt
    783.4 KB · Views: 31
I think this one will be the right one ;)

Strange. The smart battery reported status goes to zero percent as you said, but the actual voltages look fine. The only other anomaly in the record is a brief period at 342 s where the reported cell 2 voltage drops to 1.55 V for 0.9 s, while cell 1 climbs to 4.37 V. Looks like a battery problem to me.

[18-37-55][2]_conv2_01.png

So should I return it to the store and ask for a refund or can the software update be a fix?

Yeah I'm going to return it and ask for a replacement, the evidence is clear. I can't trust that battery, especially when I'm flying above forests and stuff.

Hello everyone

I was flying my DJI mavic air about an hour ago and expereinced a hart attack due to a battery failure mid air. I was testing out my brand new battery (the official one from DJI) and he failed mid air. The aircraft itself landed in a tree but I was able to recover it.

My question is: "How was this possible?". I was flying in sport mode before I went further and I used sport mode to go further away from me but I don't know if this may influence this issue.

Tnx for all the answers :D

Scary, my worst fear

Yeah DJI should warn their users for this problem xd My heart skipped a beat at that moment I was like no this can't be happening :(

Yeah DJI should warn their users for this problem xd My heart skipped a beat at that moment I was like no this can't be happening :(

Warn them of what though? Unless there is a known problem with these batteries then there is nothing to warn about.

Maybe warn them like hey the battery can tell the drone that there isn't any juice left but actually there's plenty xd

Maybe warn them like hey the battery can tell the drone that there isn't any juice left but actually there's plenty xd

Right - but that's not how it's supposed to work - that's clearly a fault. There is no point expecting DJI, or any other company, to try to warn consumers of every conceivable way that their products could fail. The list would be endless.

Yes. Electronic devices can malfunction. And when a flying electronic malfunctions we all know the end result

Hello everyone

[...] I was testing out my brand new battery (the official one from DJI) and he failed mid air. [...]

Did you charge the battery before using it the first time? A new battery will be in "storage state" when you get it. The battery percentage drop without the voltage dropping is weird though. Looks like a malfunction regardless of how/if is was charged.

luckily autoland worked :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929