DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Fires

yaktop

Reactions
If fires are a possibility (how slim) what don’t they make drone bags with flameproof compartments?

Seriously, is it that important to use flame proof bags for storage? I understand about overcharging and bloated batteries but should we use them?

Its an interesting question... yes, we all know that batteries can erupt in flames under certain circumstances. The chances of this are significantly reduced with DJI's intelligent batteries as they generally stop you from abusing them too much (i.e. overcharging or overdischarging). You can ask the same question of other battery-using devices... why don't phones, laptops or even electric cars have fireproof battery compartments. I think its because the focus here is preventing the fire in the first place as opposed to somehow dealing with it if it does happen.

My personal approach is that I make sure I treat batteries right (whether intelligent or "old school"), make sure I store them long term at around 50-60% and always keep an eye out for signs of excessive wear (e.g. bloated batts, cells out of balance, holding significantly less charge than its meant to). Assuming batteries are in good condition then I'm not worried about storing/transporting them in fireproof storage.

Just my opinion of course!

pretty much my attitude but I keep seeing people trying to sell me stuff. :)

You are grouping together very different battery chemistries and making a generalized assumption.....not to be rude but perhaps a bit more research will help you become better informed.

The highest risk of fire in consumer grade batteries occurs with LiPoly and Li-ion chemistries. How you choose to handle and store them in your home is your business (and your insurance company). Storing them in fireproof bags when traveling is always a good idea. Although infrequent, fires from these two chemistries can quickly be a serious affair.

Other than proper maintenance which you should be doing bag or not, I personally use the LiPo bags just because they are so cheap, I figure better safe than sorry. When traveling, I have had comments from customs officials as well that they were happy to see me using them. If something were to go wrong on a plane, however small of a chance, I'd feel a lot better knowing I spent the $5.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose