DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery heat

BuckeyeRay

Reactions
So I have a LiPo bag for my batteries. It's one of the triple bags where all 3 batteries fit. It has dividers and such to keep them from touching. After a flight the other day I left 2 of the batteries in the bag in my hard case. Yesterday (probably 5 days after my flight) I took them out to check the discharge level and both of them were warm to the touch. I set them on top of the bag for a while and they cooled down just fine, but this is concerning for longer trips. Is this normal behavior?

So I have a LiPo bag for my batteries. It's one of the triple bags where all 3 batteries fit. It has dividers and such to keep them from touching. After a flight the other day I left 2 of the batteries in the bag in my hard case. Yesterday (probably 5 days after my flight) I took them out to check the discharge level and both of them were warm to the touch. I set them on top of the bag for a while and they cooled down just fine, but this is concerning for longer trips. Is this normal behavior?

2 things, first if one battery goes bad it takes the others with it... Those bags sometimes don't really work depending on heat gererated according to YouTube vids that is..never bothered with them:p. Second your batteries went into self discharge mode and the heat is normal, amplified by you using that bag. I store batteries on a ceramic tile far apart from each other when stored for long periods. There are extremely few reports of a DJI battery going nuclear, and of those a puncture being the cause.. JFYI. :) BTW GO BUCKS!!!!

2 things, first if one battery goes bad it takes the others with it... Those bags sometimes don't really work depending on heat gererated according to YouTube vids that is..never bothered with them:p. Second your batteries went into self discharge mode and the heat is normal, amplified by you using that bag. I store batteries on a ceramic tile far apart from each other when stored for long periods. There are extremely few reports of a DJI battery going nuclear, and of those a puncture being the cause.. JFYI. :)

Thanks. I was wondering about the self-discharge possibility. Appreciate the knowledge!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Thanks. I was wondering about the self-discharge possibility. Appreciate the knowledge!

I believe, you still have the setting for your aircraft (could be wrong) to set discharge days. Discharge takes approximately 2 days to go from full to storage charge. So that is two days of warm batteries (heat kills LiPo's) granted little heat but every bit degrades, so best to leave them in the air to dissipate. Additionally if at any time during those 3 days you touch that button, you reset the counter.

So don't touch them unless your going to charge them and fly. If after 4 or 5 days then you can press power button once to check status of storage charge..if for some reason your going to long storage (Ohio Winters :p) then monitor your batteries once a month max for charge.. if they fall below two solid lights throw them back on the charger till you get 2 solids and store again. If you have them stored longer than 3 months, go ahead and charge them all up to max and store again...rinse ...repeat. :) your batteries and your wallet will thank you ;)

Reactions: BuckeyeRay
At least with the M2P, I keep my batteries in my Flymore backpack. They are separated by one layer of cloth to protect the wrap on them. They have always discharged independently for me over the length of my ownership... >a year.

Reactions: BuckeyeRay
I believe, you still have the setting for your aircraft (could be wrong) to set discharge days. Discharge takes approximately 2 days to go from full to storage charge. So that is two days of warm batteries (heat kills LiPo's) granted little heat but every bit degrades, so best to leave them in the air to dissipate. Additionally if at any time during those 3 days you touch that button, you reset the counter.

So don't touch them unless your going to charge them and fly. If after 4 or 5 days then you can press power button once to check status of storage charge..if for some reason your going to long storage (Ohio Winters :p) then monitor your batteries once a month max for charge.. if they fall below two solid lights throw them back on the charger till you get 2 solids and store again. If you have them stored longer than 3 months, go ahead and charge them all up to max and store again...rinse ...repeat. :) your batteries and your wallet will thank you ;)
No you can’t alter the discharge settings for the MA2.
after 1st 24 hrs - discharge to 96%
after 5 days - discharge to 60%

I believe, you still have the setting for your aircraft (could be wrong) to set discharge days. Discharge takes approximately 2 days to go from full to storage charge.

Set discharge days? That's a new one for me. What does that mean? And thank you for all of the useful info!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake