DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery in cold weather flying

boblapree

Reactions
A little while back I suggested using chemical handwarmers to keep battery temps up in cold weather on my MP 1. I tried it out yesterday in 25 F weather and found that the battery stayed nice and warm with the usual 25 min. flight time (landed when it reached 30%) So this seems to be a viable solution and very inexpensive, $ .25 each.

Reactions: eEridani
Hand warmers can get pretty warm - hot to the touch, so you might want to put them in a sock or something like that so that they are not directly in contact with the battery. I have used hand warmers in my case in sub-zero temperatures to keep the area where the batteries are stored, warm but never in direct contact with the battery. If you are just out for a short trip a pant pocket or a hoodie pocket works just as well and you can save the hand warmer for your gloves or mitts.

Chris

I've seen somewhere that someone put a brick in the oven for a little bit at low temp then wrapped it win a cloth and put it in a cooler and kept all of his batteries in there separated from the brick with a plastic or cardboard partition. I thought that was ingenious if you travel out to a remote location on something like a snowmobile or ATV.

Reactions: Bsnyder
I have flown the Mavic Pro in -20F. I keep the battery in the car or a warm container until time to fly, then hover about 2' for a minute or two until the unit warms up. Then fly but not aggressively. Still fly for 20 minutes give or take. Never had any issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S