DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery issue...nothing to do with charging!

iMini II

Reactions
Got a new Mini 2 for Christmas and was starting the setup yesterday.

First thing I notice is that I couldn’t get the battery out of the battery compartment. Don’t tell me to push in the little pin—-I know how a battery is suppose to behave going in and out. Anyway I tried and tried and even once got the battery out but believe me it was a struggle. Then put the battery back in and same issue. None of the three batteries that came in the package slide in easily and one of them is even tighter than the other two.

When the batteries are in the three battery charger they slide in easily. Getting them out is a little stiff but nowhere near the problem once one is in the drone is battery compartment.

So, believe it or not the only way I can get the battery out is to use a darn pilers. Yes that’s right a pilers. I can get them out that way but that is ridiculous. Just a matter of time before something gets damaged. Very poor design.

So it seems to me two things...

1) The batteries themselves seem to be out of tolerance since they’re all a little bit different and and don’t slide in smoothly or easily. Remember these are unused right out of the box so forget about the “swelling” issue.

2) The battery compartment itself isn’t right. Once shoved all the way in there is no way to get any of them out with your fingers (my fingers are actually sore from fooling around yesterday trying to figure out the problem.)

Once again possibly the tolerances of the compartment just aren’t precise enough.

So, what to do? What a mess. I’m gonna call DJI on Monday but not sure what they can tell me. Pretty sure either the batteries and/or the drone itself are defective. What I want to do is return the entire mess for a replacement (B&H). If I get a replacement and the batteries are still that hard to remove my drone days will be over before they started. No way am I going to put up with that kind of poor material/manufacturing. Don’t they have any quality control?

Would love to hear what kinds issues others have had. I can’t be that unlucky.

Plus I already bought DJI’s Fresh insurance. Even returning the drone is gonna be a PITA getting everything straightened out even if I get an acceptable replacement Since the Fresh is registered to the original drone. Ugh.

Also I realize the kit was only $600 and for that you can’t expect perfect quality but I was also a little disappointed how cheap the entire drone is.
The more I type the more mad and more disappointed I get.

Reactions: Howard70

First thing I notice is that I couldn’t get the battery out of the battery compartment. Don’t tell me to push in the little pin—-I know how a battery is suppose to behave going in and out. Anyway I tried and tried and even once got the battery out but believe me it was a struggle. Then put the battery back in and same issue. None of the three batteries that came in the package slide in easily and one of them is even tighter than the other two.

When the batteries are in the three battery charger they slide in easily. Getting them out is a little stiff but nowhere near the problem once one is in the drone is battery compartment.

So, believe it or not the only way I can get the battery out is to use a darn pilers. Yes that’s right a pilers. I can get them out that way but that is ridiculous. Just a matter of time before something gets damaged. Very poor design.

1) The batteries themselves seem to be out of tolerance since they’re all a little bit different and and don’t slide in smoothly or easily. Remember these are unused right out of the box so forget about the “swelling” issue.

2) The battery compartment itself isn’t right. Once shoved all the way in there is no way to get any of them out with your fingers (my fingers are actually sore from fooling around yesterday trying to figure out the problem.)

Once again possibly the tolerances of the compartment just aren’t precise enough.

So, what to do? What a mess. I’m gonna call DJI on Monday but not sure what they can tell me. Pretty sure either the batteries and/or the drone itself are defective. What I want to do is return the entire mess for a replacement (B&H). If I get a replacement and the batteries are still that hard to remove my drone days will be over before they started. No way am I going to put up with that kind of poor material/manufacturing. Don’t they have any quality control?

Plus I already bought DJI’s Fresh insurance. Even returning the drone is gonna be a PITA getting everything straightened out even if I get an acceptable replacement Since the Fresh is registered to the original drone. Ugh.

Also I realize the kit was only $600 and for that you can’t expect perfect quality but I was also a little disappointed how cheap the entire drone is.
"No way am I going to put up with that kind of poor material/manufacturing." Apparently, DJI isn't for you. If you are unwilling to deal with a little tightness and new user adjustment to a few quirks of the Mini 2, you might as well just return it. It's not for everyone. Most of us veterans here have suffered through far worse over the years to get to where a Mini 2 is now a dream aircraft, despite a few minor annoyances. No point in getting madder and more disappointed if you still can't see the forest for the trees! It's a tiny 4K camera that can be controlled up to 6 miles away with up to a 31 minute flight time, and is the quietest DJI drone yet, and at 240g, is completely registration free, for recreational flight in the U.S. at under $500! It literally fits in your pocket! Nothing else comes close for a compact travel drone that won't annoy or frighten anyone when you fly it openly. That would have been a pipe dream a few years ago!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your issues. DJI have high build quality and what you are experiencing is far from normal.

Your contract of sale is with B&H and the simplest thing to do is return it to them for a replacement.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your issues. DJI have high build quality and what you are experiencing is far from normal.

Your contract of sale is with B&H and the simplest thing to do is return it to them for a replacement.
The replacement is likely to be the same. It's a user issue. Mine are tight, too. No biggie! They loosen up over time, and you learn how to remove them better with practice. Most DJI batteries are a tight fit when brand new.

Not so tight though that you need pliers. OP seems to know the difference since he mentioned he had little issue with the hub.

Refresh can easily be transferred to the replacement by DJI customer service. Just have the original and new SNs handy.

Reactions: Howard70

While the posts above are correct, I’d send it back for a new one.

Here is a quick closure on this issue.

I contacted DJI and the service rep I talked to was complelty clueless and unhelpful. He told me he had never heard of this issue. It particularly annoys me when you get this sort of response from a large company. Surely this issue has come up before.

Anyway... I will be returning the drone to B & H for a credit and that's the end of it.

So folks, y'all have a nice day. I'm out!

Last edited:
I'm not saying this is your issue, but I struggled at first with the release tab to get the battery out of my mini 2, tolerances seem much tighter than they did with my original mini. Once I realized there is a little bit of a technique to press the tab and pull the right way it became much easier. I felt a little dumb but now have no trouble getting the battery out of the drone. It wasn't an issue with getting them out of the charger, it is way easier to get your fingers in the right spot compared to the drone battery access. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Take a chill pill buddy, your blood pressure is going sky high carrying on like this.

Here is a quick closure on this issue.

I contacted DJI and the service rep I talked to was complelty clueless and unhelpful. He told me he had never heard of this issue. It particularly annoys me when you get this sort of response from a large company. Surely this issue has come up before.

Anyway... I will be returning the drone to B & H for a credit and that's the end of it.

[Admin Removed]

So folks, y'all have a nice day. I'm out!
DJI isn't for everyone! Your expectations were way too high. Under the circumstances, glad you took my advice! You'll now have to find your stress elsewhere! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S