DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Maintenance & Boat Launching

mlrobbo

Reactions
Aloha Pilots,

First, I just want to say thank you and tell you how awestruck I am with the level of knowledge you people exhibit and share with others every day. Apple throws the term "Genius" around way too much but you people in my eyes anyway really are DJI Geniuses!

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and have a Mavic Air and a Phantom Standard 3. I'd love to say I'm out there shooting nature all the time but the reality is I rarely get the opportunity. Flying the MA once every 30 to 60 days and the Phantom even less.

For batteries that see so little flight time should I leave them semi discharged when no plans to fly soon or should I keep them topped off when I notice that 2 of 4 lights are flashing?

2nd question, I've kept my Phantom as more of the risk taker and also as it has the landing legs and no obstacle avoidance I'm thinking it might work okay for hand launching and hand landing on a fishing boat. I'm going out on Saturday and taking it with me. Is that logic sound or am I missing some critical info as to why it would not do well from a boat?

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, thank you.

Rob

Reactions: old man mavic
Aloha Pilots,

First, I just want to say thank you and tell you how awestruck I am with the level of knowledge you people exhibit and share with others every day. Apple throws the term "Genius" around way too much but you people in my eyes anyway really are DJI Geniuses!

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and have a Mavic Air and a Phantom Standard 3. I'd love to say I'm out there shooting nature all the time but the reality is I rarely get the opportunity. Flying the MA once every 30 to 60 days and the Phantom even less.

For batteries that see so little flight time should I leave them semi discharged when no plans to fly soon or should I keep them topped off when I notice that 2 of 4 lights are flashing?

2nd question, I've kept my Phantom as more of the risk taker and also as it has the landing legs and no obstacle avoidance I'm thinking it might work okay for hand launching and hand landing on a fishing boat. I'm going out on Saturday and taking it with me. Is that logic sound or am I missing some critical info as to why it would not do well from a boat?

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, thank you.

Rob
the phantom is probably the best for the boat ,with as you say its legs make it easier for hand launching landing with regards to your batteries store them at 50 65% when not in use and check them monthly,when you see one light solid and one flashing then it would be a good idea to top them back up to the 50 to 65% or top them up to 100% if you intend to fly

Quick tip flying from a boat: check that you're RTH is set to update with the controllers location. If you forget, and hit RTH, the drone will go back to the spot where it launched from, and drop its self in the drink.

I don't stress over the Mavic much when I fly nowadays, it's proven so reliable. That said, flying from a boat the first time was terrifying, but I got some great footage :) Good luck.

the phantom is probably the best for the boat ,with as you say its legs make it easier for hand launching landing with regards to your batteries store them at 50 65% when not in use and check them monthly,when you see one light solid and one flashing then it would be a good idea to top them back up to the 50 to 65% or top them up to 100% if you intend to fly
Thank you very much. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for and needed. Have a great weekend!

Reactions: old man mavic
Thank you very much. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for and needed. Have a great weekend!
@mirobbo some good advice from @RTKD as well one other thing because you are over water get back to the boat with a good 40% battery left so you have time to land as it can take some time if its windy and have fun

Reactions: mlrobbo
Quick tip flying from a boat: check that you're RTH is set to update with the controllers location. If you forget, and hit RTH, the drone will go back to the spot where it launched from, and drop its self in the drink.

I don't stress over the Mavic much when I fly nowadays, it's proven so reliable. That said, flying from a boat the first time was terrifying, but I got some great footage :) Good luck.
Thank you for the advice, I'm not sure how to update the RTH option but point taken and I'll have to remember not to RTH. That's the exact reason I'm sending the PS3 (I'll shed less tears than watching my MA sink). I'll happily post any good footage but the only chance would be of humpbacks, if we hook up I'll be in the chair as there's just me and the captain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50