DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery mod - why doesn't DJI do it ?

boblui

Reactions
There have been many reports on successful battery mods providing 10 minutes of additional flight time. Just wondering why DJI doesn't make the capacity of the stock battery bigger. More flight time is always a big selling point.

Reactions: lee82gx
my first guess is if a US$200 battery can fly for longer than anyone needs, then perhaps most customers will try to make do with only 1. And folks will demand that the price for a double capacity battery be at most double the price of a single cell 3s1p battery.

A number of things. I'd guess battery capacity regulations. You've got the FAA 100 watt hour limit, plus testing and regulatory requirements for a separate battery model, all for a smaller market. A 20 to 30 minute flight time is plenty for 90% of consumers I'd imagine, and it could also be connected to increased warranty claims for overheating, wear and tear, etc. Lastly, just business reasons - why sell 1 battery when you can sell 3?

the issues with bigger batteries are size and weight ,just increasing the battery size means the overall weight of the drone is increased, so in order to carry the extra weight the drone uses more power ,the drones we fly are mainly for hobby flying ,if you need a longer flight time then you move up into the commercial range of drones which have alternative power sources

....the drones we fly are mainly for hobby flying ,if you need a longer flight time then you move up into the commercial range of drones.....

I disagree.

Why hobby flying cant be more than 30 min ? Who defines that threshold ? DJI ? or someone else ? If you have done hyperlapse, for hobby purpose. 30 min is not enough in many cases.

I disagree.

Why hobby flying cant be more than 30 min ? Who defines that threshold ? DJI ? or someone else ? If you have done hyperlapse, for hobby purpose. 30 min is not enough in many cases.
its not just about defining a 30 min flight time there are many other variables to consider size of drone ,battery ,cost of product ,present tech with regards to battery development
weight and so on ,its the whole package that defines the flight time ,plus the one factor that DJI or any other maker have no control over ,the conditions during flight and how the pilot flies the drone

Reactions: WithTheBirds
The more weight, the more power requires the motors to stay on the air, less stopping power will have the drone, less responsive, and more danger and destruction if the drone fall. Also heavier to carry.

The Autel Evo 2 claim 40 minutes but all the testing videos are getting a max of 29 minutes.

I guess DJI has a perfect balance between weight + fly time + drone response. That's why I don't modify my drones from that perspective.

They would do it if they could. Battery life is the main drawback with sports and especially events like the Olympic Games. I've tried to use mine during the Baja 1000 and it's hard because you can wait for the action for only so long. I end up with better stuff on my phone.

Reactions: Emanáku
As others have mentioned, it's mostly a matter of size and weight. Even the Matrice tops out at around 55 minutes. To get a range measured in hours, you need to go to hydrogen or gas-powered drones. And those drones will not fit in a backpack.

It may also be a matter of heat. A bigger battery might also generate more heat over a longer discharge period which would not be good for the battery or aircraft.

Reactions: monteolsen1
Possibly to keep the watt/hrs down for air travel limits as this drone is made to be used whilst travelling where you can
Bigger batteries +more weight +bigger motors/props + bigger esc board=more heat =bigger drone etc etc
Longer flight times = bigger remote battery or more gear to carry to keep the controller charged
All this makes the drone more of a consideration when travelling

Personally coming from self build drones that are bigger more cumbersome and maybe gave 15 mins of flight time the 30 mins of the Mavic range is fine and just another step of tech evolution

longer flight times will come as better battery tech becomes available / lighter and cost effective

I disagree.

You seem to have missed the point. The answer is apparent if you read the battery mod threads. As @old man mavic and others have pointed out additional mah give diminishing returns on such a light hobby grade airframe. Your argument is like suggesting you should be able to put a 1000L fuel tank on the roof of a small hatchback and get 20+ times the range with no performance penalty.

Reactions: old man mavic
You can't compare gas or fuel driven engines or cars with extended or extra gas tanks with a battery operated device. Your comparing apples to Mary Poppins.

If I have a 20 gallon fuel tank on my truck, and add another 20 gallon fuel tank I will get twice the distance with no fuel economy penalties. This is mainly due to gas/diesel vehicles are designed to carry weight. Either people or cargo.

Aircraft are totally different, it's all about weight, lift, and size.

Mavic Aircraft can carry (Some) extra weight, be it extra battery cells, release system, parachute, ect... This is why aircraft is built mission specific...

It's always a little disappointing reading untrue statements just because the internet says so. The people that logically/mathematically/determination, or experimentation are the pioneers of future designs. Simply stating that someone shouldn't do battery mods because they will blow up in the mahmoo dogface banana patch is not a relevant or even true argument. Instead when an OP ask a question for help we should stay on topic and provide ideas on how... Not flame their ideas.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
@Ratfink11 not sure what thread you were referring to ,the OP asked why DJI did not make the battery bigger to extend the flight time ,and the answers he received ,tried to explain some of the reasons why ,no one flamed him he asked a question and was answered in the correct manner,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose