DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Overcurrent

I think it has to do with the drone drawing too much power because of (head) wind, etc.
As you fly in sports mode and over the ocean, that is most likely the cause of it.

Last edited:
Different aircraft, but the only time I have seen the overcurrent message was on my Mavic Pro in S-mode at full forward and climb speed. The message requires the pilot to reduce the power demand.

Last edited:
its part of the battery protection system in the BMS and is just a warning that the drone is having a hard time as it flies

My guess is that you were making the motors work too hard and too long as maximum speed. Your graphic shows you are not moving at the time and the drone seems to be level (not fighting wind). If I saw a message like this I would immediately slow down and return to land as quickly and safely as possible.
After the the flight you can upload the flight data .txt file to AirData and then compare battery usage to the flight to figure out where it happened or there is a battery issue.

maybe its to do with the +battery ,has anyone noticed it with the standard battery ,as the + battery is only available for the US market at the moment ,its probably an issue with the communication between the drone and BMS of the higher capacity battery and needs an update to put it right

Just watched the Verge’s review of this drone, and that was one of his main issues/concerns. He only noticed it with the extended battery, not the regular.

Hopefully, this can be tweaked over time with some software.

Reactions: rgarjr and Faster
I think it has to do with the drone drawing too much power because of (head) wind, etc.
As you fly in sports mode and over the ocean, that is most likely the cause of it.
No, this was a perfect winter day in Australia. Temp 14 deg C and less than 5 m/s wind

Just watched the Verge’s review of this drone, and that was one of his main issues/concerns. He only noticed it with the extended battery, not the regular.

Hopefully, this can be tweaked over time with some software.
Yes, I noticed the problem with extended battery only and in Sport mode. The same battery in Normal mode and standard battery in any mode worked fine.

No, this was a perfect winter day in Australia. Temp 14 deg C and less than 5 m/s wind
Well, did you check what the wind was in 63 m height?
Do you have other batteries to test with? It might be the cause that this battery is faulty, but hard to tell without further inspection.

I’m beginning to think the extended capacity batteries aren’t as good as the standard battery in terms of discharge current capability. Coupled with the added weight of the battery the move back to LiIon batteries might not have been the wisest.
If the battery is not up to the task all they can do in firmware is reduce the demand on the battery which results in lower performance and increase the chances of losing your drone in the event of fighting a headwind coming home 🙁

Reactions: Faster
I’m beginning to think the extended capacity batteries aren’t as good as the standard battery in terms of discharge current capability. Coupled with the added weight of the battery the move back to LiIon batteries might not have been the wisest.
If the battery is not up to the task all they can do in firmware is reduce the demand on the battery which results in lower performance and increase the chances of losing your drone in the event of fighting a headwind coming home 🙁

The “omg I’m flying so far, I cannot even see it lol, whoops need to return home, oh darn forgot i was flying downwind for 10+ minutes, now I cannot get home :( “ -crowd was going to lose the drone anyway, probably crashing it at full speed into a wall, not knowing sports mode disabled the sensors

I'd put my money on the 14°C temps.
14°C is quite an agreeable temperature for lithium based batteries, being close to the middle of their recommended operating temperature range. Just for clarity, that's 57°F

Going to keep your money there?

Reactions: Torque
14°C is quite an agreeable temperature for lithium based batteries, being close to the middle of their recommended operating temperature range. Just for clarity, that's 57°F

Going to keep your money there?
Yup.

Everything you say is true (except middle of operating range, that doesn't sound right, gotta look it up).

What I said is also true, and the increased internal resistance might be what makes it marginal, while at 95°F enough current flows without voltage dropping as much.

Yup.

Everything you say is true (except middle of operating range, that doesn't sound right, gotta look it up).

What I said is also true, and the increased internal resistance might be what makes it marginal, while at 95°F enough current flows without voltage dropping as much.
So operating at a temperature that is well within the specified max/min operating temperature margins is considered marginal?

Literature recommends using lipos at temperatures between 5 and 35°C, with better performance seen at the higher end of this range. 14°C is close to halfway between those data points, and it would be reasonable to expect the actual battery temperature to be slightly higher than the surrounding air during use, so 14°C sounds like fairly ideal temperatures to be flying in.

Sounds far more like an issue other than ambient temperature to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and Faster
Do you have other batteries to test with? It might be the cause that this battery is faulty, but hard to tell without further inspection.
Well I think it is probably normal that the extra 40-60g? pulls more amps, of course because the weight goes up.it is normal to pull more amps with a heavier aircraft.

Coupled with the added weight of the battery the move back to LiIon batteries might not have been the wisest.
are the plus-batteries Li-ion cells? because the standart pack is just a regular lipo.
I plan to solder some 4200s Molicel INR21700-P42A, 30 amp to 45 amp, to my old flight battery, as soon as I get my hands on a fresh DJI battery:) and test...

I also tried a comparable pack in parallel to the flight battery, flight time is like 2 minutes more, more stable end voltage, but the added pack was still at 4v end of flight, the internal battery at 3.5. it should be because the added pack is being discharged slower... so that does not work.../thicker cables would help maybe...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair