DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Overcurrent

bkushner

Reactions
Was flying today and this warning started popping up.

Battery overcurrent. Maintain smooth flight and check if aircraft is overloaded (Code: 110001). Maintain smooth flight and check if aircraft is overloaded (Code: 16090073)

Extended battery, sports mode. Temp 50 degrees F checked the log and no voltage drops. DJI RC controller. Has anyone had a definitive answer on this? Is it safe to continue flight with warning?

@bkushner it would seem that the latest versions of the fly app ,and the latest firmware, have meant that a lot more warning messages of this type, are appearing during flight
i believe it is an attempt by DJI to show that their drones are very safe ,dont forget that in sport mode there is a lot of current drain on the battery and although it was not particularly cold where you were flying ,there are lots of factors that would cause such a message to pop up
as long as you heed the warning by slowing down, or going into another mode then all should be fine

Reactions: db4476
I think they've reduced warning thresholds for lots of things.

Strong wind warning seems to kick off now at 10mph, battery overcurrent with no hint of a *dangerous* overcurrent seems to appear when climbing and flying into wind. Again no flight safety issue but it now warns.

It may not be a bad thing BUT if they go too far it might be crying wolf - too many warnings for "normal" flight and people will generally ignore all the warnings even if it is alerting them to an actual issue.

Battery overcurrent. Maintain smooth flight and check if aircraft is overloaded (Code: 110001). Maintain smooth flight and check if aircraft is overloaded (Code: 16090073)

Extended battery, sports mode. Temp 50 degrees F checked the log and no voltage drops. DJI RC controller. Has anyone had a definitive answer on this? Is it safe to continue flight with warning?
Extended battery I have the same problem
When I use the light battery I do not get any errors

Looks like it was designed only for the light battery
Then at the last minute the Extended battery was added to increase sales

Everyone loves longer battery time
I bought two :rolleyes:

Reactions: careless
I think they've reduced warning thresholds for lots of things.

Strong wind warning seems to kick off now at 10mph, battery overcurrent with no hint of a *dangerous* overcurrent seems to appear when climbing and flying into wind. Again no flight safety issue but it now warns.

It may not be a bad thing BUT if they go too far it might be crying wolf - too many warnings for "normal" flight and people will generally ignore all the warnings even if it is alerting them to an actual issue.
That's true, on the Mavic 3 as well I never got a warning about entering altitude zone from my house but after the update this morning it gives me that

(Battery overcurrent. smooth flight and check if aircraft is overloaded) warning happened to me today too. I was flying in sport with extended battery around 50deg. and just installed Master Airscrew props has anyone had this happen?

What props are you using

as you are all aware of the plus battery for the Mini 3 pro ,is somewhat heavier than the standard battery, and therefore although yes it does extend the flight time by some margin ,it is also extra weight, that the drone has to carry around during flight,those few grams extra ,are what is causing the overload warning ,when the current demands of sport mode, exceed the programmed parameters contained in the drones operating system ,another thing that could cause it is the BMS itself in the battery

as you are all aware of the plus battery for the Mini 3 pro ,is somewhat heavier than the standard battery, and therefore although yes it does extend the flight time by some margin ,it is also extra weight, that the drone has to carry around during flight,those few grams extra ,are what is causing the overload warning ,when the current demands of sport mode, exceed the programmed parameters contained in the drones operating system ,another thing that could cause it is the BMS itself in the battery
I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but I flew again today with the original battery and in sport mode with the same warning but couldn't get it to happen out of sport mode with ether battery.

Two different ratings for batteries - 'C' and 'B'.

First is Continuous, which is what the battery can shove out to the motors for a long, continuous duration. Second is Burst, which is what it can deliver over and above the normal draw rate.

Lithium Ion batteries are great for handling 'Continuous' power delivery, but can only cope with 'Burst' for very short durations before they start to badly overheat... very quickly. If the burst current draw exceeds the safe margin on a regular basis (hammering about in sport mode) you end up with at least one damaged cell due to buckling or gassing, meaning that you'll never be able to get a proper charge back into the battery again - on top of that you end up with accelerated bloating.

Lithium Polymer batteries have a different capability, they can handle an extended Burst discharge rate without there being significant cell deterioration - but this doesn't mean that sport mode is okay to fly in all the time, what it does mean is that if you have to put the hammer down whilst trying to get back to home point against a strong head-wind: the Li-Pol battery is your better option.

On the other side of the coin: Li-Ion batteries will have a charge/discharge life at least three times greater than Li-Pol's (battery manufacturer estimates state a maximum of 1,000 charge/discharge cycles). Li-Pol batteries crap-out after an absolute maximum of 150-200 cycles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada