DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Overheated. Possibly dead :(

malbowski85

Reactions
So my SD card reader is not working on my laptop so i plugged my Mini in directly and powered on with a battery in it. I started editing the footage directly off the Mini (thinking about it this wasn't the best idea). After half an hour it ejected itself and the battery is dead. It wont charge or tell me how much power it has in the dock. I've let it cool down but still nothing. Have I killed it?

Hope its not dead.
If you have your drone powered on but not flying things can get hot, best to blow a fan on it to cool it as if flying.
I would simply transfer the data from the drone or preferably the SD card to the PC then unplug the drone if connected.

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
I'm hoping that you're battery is still under warranty. There is not much draw on the battery when the drone isn't flying but I know that without a fan the Mini gets hot. I'm sure someone will have a answer for you. Lot's of battery experts on the forum. Good Luck!

So my SD card reader is not working on my laptop so i plugged my Mini in directly and powered on with a battery in it. I started editing the footage directly off the Mini (thinking about it this wasn't the best idea). After half an hour it ejected itself and the battery is dead. It wont charge or tell me how much power it has in the dock. I've let it cool down but still nothing. Have I killed it?
While I did not experience the potentially dead battery, I had a similar thing happen. Mini connected to computer via usb to transfer files and recharge the battery. I forgot about it. Later I realized and the darn thing was incredibly hot. I powered it off and unplugged. It seemed to be okay later. I've since tried avoiding that method of transferring files.

Reactions: shaneb50
I tried charging a battery once right after flying and got a flash code from the charger. This was a battery for the Mavic Pro 2. Found the code on the internet indicating the battery was too hot to charge. This is obviously part of the "smart" circuitry in the battery. After allowing the battery to cool to room temperature it charged and has given no indication of harm to the actual cells.

UPDATE:

After leaving it to cool, I put it in the charger and once the other batteries we're charged, it began to charge as normal. I have not had a chance to test it but was looking good. May put some kind of sticker on this battery just so I can identify it as a possible risk, to keep an eye on it when flying.

Thanks all, another lesson learned :)

Reactions: Digpho
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaffito