DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery problem after only 29charges

p_sapelas

Reactions
Hello everyone,
Nowadays while checking the logs via air data app i realised that one of my batteries with only 29 charges has major deviation problems. However no error occurred during my flights. I really don't know how safe is to use this battery and if dji will replace my battery (today after checking again this battery same problems while checking air data app).
Thanks in advance!!!Screenshot_2021-08-18-11-23-03-228_com.airdata.uav.app.jpgScreenshot_2021-08-18-11-22-39-448_com.airdata.uav.app.jpg

Contacting DJI regarding cell deviations ... especially if the battery is older than 6 month (warranty period) is nearly pointless.

"Only" 29 charges doesn't say anything about the overall health of the battery & how it has been treated in the past ... it's possible to mistreat a battery severely & have it give up with far less charge cycles than that.

1.Age of the battery
2.Charge cycles on the battery
3.Regularly store the battery longer than 48h fully charged or nearly empty (e.g. been left outside 3,7-3,8V/cell)
4.Get the battery overheated, for instance been left out in the sun after use or left in a hot car
5.Regularly use the battery in really cold or hot ambient temps & there been pushed for sustained high amp draw (Sport mode with a lot of longer full stick commands)

All above will wear your battery down, point 1 & 2 usually slowly shorten your flight times (max capacity gets lower), point 3,4 & 5 is more alarming, they will instead hugely increase the internal cell resistance (which create cell voltage deviations) & creation of excess oxygen (which make batteries swell).

So how have you treated that battery in between & during those 29 charge cycles..?

Furthermore ... the cell deviation picture looks odd. Major deviations in the first half of the flight then the cells more or less equalizes. Was the battery freshly charged before that flight or was it partly charged or had been left fully charged for some days before?

Reactions: umanbean
So you have a "lagging cell"; it's not that significant (I have seen the same).
It would have been better to link to your Airdata flight so we could see other (just as important) data like manufacture date, overall capacity, etc.

Reactions: umanbean
So you have a "lagging cell"; it's not that significant (I have seen the same).
It would have been better to link to your Airdata flight so we could see other (just as important) data like manufacture date,
Hi Stanton here is the link of the flight
I really do believe that I am very careful with my equipment.. my drone is almost 2 years old with few flights cause to covid limitations here in Greece. However i have read that battery has 200 cycles and i find very odd this particular problem

Contacting DJI regarding cell deviations ... especially if the battery is older than 6 month (warranty period) is nearly pointless.

"Only" 29 charges doesn't say anything about the overall health of the battery & how it has been treated in the past ... it's possible to mistreat a battery severely & have it give up with far less charge cycles than that.

1.Age of the battery
2.Charge cycles on the battery
3.Regularly store the battery longer than 48h fully charged or nearly empty (e.g. been left outside 3,7-3,8V/cell)
4.Get the battery overheated, for instance been left out in the sun after use or left in a hot car
5.Regularly use the battery in really cold or hot ambient temps & there been pushed for sustained high amp draw (Sport mode with a lot of longer full stick commands)

All above will wear your battery down, point 1 & 2 usually slowly shorten your flight times (max capacity gets lower), point 3,4 & 5 is more alarming, they will instead hugely increase the internal cell resistance (which create cell voltage deviations) & creation of excess oxygen (which make batteries swell).

So how have you treated that battery in between & during those 29 charge cycles..?

Furthermore ... the cell deviation picture looks odd. Major deviations in the first half of the flight then the cells more or less equalizes. Was the battery freshly charged before that flight or was it partly charged or had been left fully charged for some days before?
Hi slup and thanks for your time. Yes my battery is almost 2 years old with not more than 30 charges as i use 4 batteries since i bought my drone. I have 110 flights with my ma1 snd i do believe that i am very careful with my equipment (maybe that's why i realised this problem)

...almost 2 years old with not more than 30 charges... i am very careful with my equipment...
So what about point 3-5 in my post ... how have you treated your batteries regarding those? ... And I'm adding a 6. to those, how low in percentage do you usually fly your batteries? Regularly going below 15% close to 10% is another way to mistreat a battery.

As said ... few charge cycles alone isn't any guarantee for a battery that is healthy.

So what about point 3-5 in my post ... how have you treated your batteries regarding those? ... And I'm adding a 6. to those, how low in percentage do you usually fly your batteries? Regularly going below 15% close to 10% is another way to mistreat a battery.

As said ... few charge cycles alone isn't any guarantee for a battery that is healthy.
Sometimes of course I store batteries fully charged because my program or weather don't allow me to fly, however the batteries are smart right? I know they discharge till 60-70% so there cant be a problem there.
MA isn't my first drone (it is my first from DJI) and I know how to treat lipo -smart batteries. However do you think that this battery will affect my flight's security?

...however the batteries are smart right? I know they discharge till 60-70% so there cant be a problem there.
...I know how to treat lipo -smart batteries. However do you think that this battery will affect my flight's security?
The auto discharge, which take 10 days, is way to long to keep a LiPo battery on 100% ... if you have relayed on that, you made a mistake. Usually you should avoid to having them outside storage voltage (3.7-3.8V/cell) longer than 48h. The consequence is increased internal resistance which means much more prone to voltage drops under load ... & cell deviations.

I would revert that battery to office duties only, right away ...

Hi Stanton here is the link of the flight
I can't believe the Power tab doesn't have all the battery data (like manufacture date)! No matter: I see later you said it was about 2 years old.
I agree with @slup: I wouldn't use that battery for any critical flights. It definitely has a bad/weak cell, which may/may not be due to factors within your control. It's best to store LiPo batteries ~50%, so if you're "all charged up" but can't use it (like what happened to me with the rain yesterday), just run the props (via CSC) and let it sit on the ground until you get down to 2 solid dots on the battery.

There is one thing you can try, run the battery right down sub 20%. then recharge see if it normalizes. I had one on my used Mavic Air 1 that showed a similar odd pattern. After the process above it has not re-occurred, however keep your 1st flight after the recharge low slow and close.

The battery could be failing and you will need to keep an eye on it.

...However do you think that this battery will affect my flight's security?

...The battery could be failing and you will need to keep an eye on it.

The sad truth about battery incidents is that people in common had the means to prevent them ... but sadly they didn't follow the battery trends (useful flight time, available capacity, voltage deviations) over the life span of their batteries & didn't know how bad they was... if they had, they would have noticed when the trends were turning bad & could have taken the battery away from flight duty before something disastrous happened.

Instead the batteries suddenly develops a swelling during flight that dislodge them from the AC & down it goes like a rock ... or one cell, also that suddenly, fails & falls well below 3V where the DJI SW commands forced auto landing just then & there where it's the worst possible place to land ... over water or over a road with heavy traffic... all this could have been spotted through the battery data well before the disaster happened.

It's a few that doesn't follow their battery performance that gets a clear warning of something much worse soon to come ... ground it in time & instead use your bad performing battery for unloading pics, update the SW or bench test settings... you will never be able to trust a battery behaving like that, take the opportunity & hurry up and source a new one before they are completely gone from the market instead.

Reactions: RGallant
@slup Coming from the old R/C Helo world where swelling, charging and flight times were all we had. I have to say Airdata is great, I upload after every flight and check my battery performance, see if there are any deviations, check temps etc.

Along with a post flight and pre-flight physical check.

I just keep a folder of screenshots for each battery so I can review for any oddities.

Reactions: slup
... I have to say Airdata is great, I upload after every flight and check my battery performance, see if there are any deviations, check temps etc.

I just keep a folder of screenshots for each battery so I can review for any oddities.
A good habit ... Thumbswayup

Maybe then the cheapest subscription at Airdata can be worth it ... with that everything will be compiled automatically out from all logs you have uploaded with trend graphs making it easy to see it which direction & how fast a battery goes down and during which circumstances a battery misbehaves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ