DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Question

Scoobychief

Reactions
hi fellow airs, this is just a question because i read a post below and it started to worry me, i bought my air second hand in july this year and its been great stable and everything is cool with it, my question is i have 2 batteries and 1 has about maybe 50 cycles and the other about 20 cycles, so just wondering how long do batteries last for?. and are there any check that i can make to check everything about the batteries are tip top?.

Your equipment are in a similar state as mine, also bought my Air in July second hand & have now around 30 charge cycles on the 3 that were include ... have then also bought a fourth battery. One of my 3 original Fly more kit batteries have started to have a negative trend development ... still good to go but I have it under observation & don't use it in cold weather.

To follow up the trend of your batteries in order to in time take them off duty I highly recommend Airdata.com with their paid Gold subscription. I consider the fee as an insurance cost to avoid getting a battery cell crash mid air.

Look into that ... it's based on that you upload all your flights to them (it can be automated with you just sync your flightrecords to DJI servers in the GO4 app). With this done & the Gold subscription you have access to all logged equipment used in your flights, and can from there study the trends of your batteries & see when you should take them off from flight duty & leave them to office duty doing only AC setting changes, downloading pics & vids.

Never mind, slup beat me to it :)

Edit: I just wanted to add that even with a free account, AirData still gives you a wealth of information in a visually comprehensible manner which makes monitoring the health of your batteries very easy. Pay particular attention to this graph

1579860106981.png

The above is from two of my batteries that have the same cycle count; but you can clearly see that the one on top has more significant cell deviations than the one on the bottom. The first sign of a battery beginning to show its age or going bad is unbalanced cells. You are fine as long as the voltage deviations between the three cells are below 0.07V (according to AirData) or even 0.1V (according to DJI). But if a battery starts showing cell deviations higher than 0.1V, it is probably time to retire it - or relegate it to on-ground duties such as setting up the drone at home or powering on the drone and adjusting settings while waiting to acquire good GPS signal before flying (so as to not eat into valuable battery capacity from the battery you use for flying).

Last edited by a moderator:
How does that work?

Surely when you change to a good battery before take off, the drone loses all positional information?
You would think that but there is a significant time difference between the time the AC takes to acquire GPS signal during the first startup and the second at any given location. The first may take a minute or more, the second takes a mere few seconds. See it for yourself next time you fly.

Hi Scooby.
Battery health doesn't depend just on number of charge cycles but in most cases on how do you take care of batteries - I don't want to repeat what has been said many times so better take a look at this guide about battery care straight from DJI, it answers most of questions.

And to your question - three of my five batteries are now over 85 cycles old but still working fine, only the flight time is about 2-3 minutes shorter and they are showing some signs of cell voltage deviation (as mentioned by Doppler above.

Never mind, slup beat me to it :)

Edit: I just wanted to add that even with a free account, AirData still gives you a wealth of information in a visually comprehensible manner which makes monitoring the health of your batteries very easy. Pay particular attention to this graph

View attachment 91874

The above is from two of my batteries that have the same cycle count; but you can clearly see that the one on top has more significant cell deviations than the one on the bottom. The first sign of a battery beginning to show its age or going bad is unbalanced cells. You are fine as long as the voltage deviations between the three cells are below 0.07V (according to AirData) or even 0.1V (according to DJI). But if a battery starts showing cell deviations higher than 0.1V, it is probably time to retire it - or relegate it to on-ground duties such as setting up the drone at home or powering on the drone and adjusting settings while waiting to acquire good GPS signal before flying (so as to not eat into valuable battery capacity from the battery you use for flying).

Hi doppler i do have an air data account but only a free one, how do i find the information you mentioned the grapth in paticular. regards mike

Hi doppler i do have an air data account but only a free one, how do i find the information you mentioned the grapth in paticular. regards mike

Select a flight log from your list.

Click on "Power" on the left, just under "General", then select "Cells Graph" from the top line.

You then get the graph as the photo.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143