DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Safety.......??

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've been reading a bit on lithium battery safety and it's unclear what the best safety practices are. I've read a great deal about lithium ion batteries and the fires that can result but I don't know if that information transfers over to lipo batteries.

Because wind turbines are an "interest" of mine (I'm an opponent) and the current trend is to use lithium batteries for storage, the risk of a thermal runaway and fire is significant. AS an example. the battery fire at the Tesla Mega Battery in Victoria, Australia this past July showcased the hazards of such. Tesla's recommendation to fire fighters was to let it burn out and try to keep the surrounding batteries cool. It burned for 76 hours releasing toxic smoke (hydrogen fluoride) to the surrounding area. Nasty stuff and extremely hazardous. Obviously this fiasco is on a much larger scale than our batteries.

How similar are the lithium ion and the lipo batteries pertaining to potential risks? Are lipo bags effective ?

EDIT**** Correction - Moorabool, South Australia - Victorian Big Battery - Tesla Megapack battery units

Last edited:
Everyone will have their own ideas on how to contend with how to handle batteries. You may have already found some of this.

Reactions: Droniac
Yes, that's one of the threads I read through. The trouble is there is nothing definitive about the extinguishing procedure. What's presented is too ambiguous.

The smoke emitted by such a fire is another significant hazard.

Any firefighters out there with knowledge on this subject? It can't be sequestered too deep because we have the issue of the Chevy Bolts having a defect that causes fires.

I‘m watchful of where and what my batteries are doing. I leave the risk that lies beyond that to my insurance agent.
I realized the risks of this hobby when I jumped in several years ago and know that if this one goes bad, there are other avenues to enjoy.
Be safe!

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
I respectfully agree and disagree. I agree with proper maintenance and monitoring the batteries condition but I don't get a warm fuzzy leaving anything beyond that to an insurance policy. I feel far more comfortable knowing that I've done everything humanly possible to avoid being able to cash in on an insurance policy. Too much to risk ie. my wife, our animals, irreplaceable items, etc. etc.. I'm big on safety possibly because I've seen too much in the past that has gone very wrong that might have been avoided if the proper steps were taken. My wife kids me about being Mr. Safety. I admittedly do go off the rails about it and it drives her crazy.....

Because wind turbines are an "interest" of mine (I'm an opponent) and the current trend is to use lithium batteries for storage, the risk of a thermal runaway and fire is significant. AS an example. the battery fire at the Tesla Mega Battery in Victoria, Australia
There is no Tesla mega battery in Victoria.
Perhaps you meant South Australia.

There are a lot of wind farms in the region where I live.
They all connect directly to the national grid, none have battery storage.

Reactions: diesel97

There is actually, near Geelong (edit, north of Geelong, Moorabool)
There was a lithium battery fire during commissioning . . .

Reactions: Droniac and Gagey52
I've been reading a bit on lithium battery safety and it's unclear what the best safety practices are. I've read a great deal about lithium ion batteries and the fires that can result but I don't know if that information transfers over to lipo batteries.

Because wind turbines are an "interest" of mine (I'm an opponent) and the current trend is to use lithium batteries for storage, the risk of a thermal runaway and fire is significant. AS an example. the battery fire at the Tesla Mega Battery in Victoria, Australia this past July showcased the hazards of such. Tesla's recommendation to fire fighters was to let it burn out and try to keep the surrounding batteries cool. It burned for 76 hours releasing toxic smoke (hydrogen fluoride) to the surrounding area. Nasty stuff and extremely hazardous. Obviously this fiasco is on a much larger scale than our batteries.

How similar are the lithium ion and the lipo batteries pertaining to potential risks? Are lipo bags effective ?
I agree about the wind turbines, the current designs are a total waste of resources that cannot be recycled. There has to be a better way.
Regards

Perhaps you meant South Australia.

There are a lot of wind farms in the region where I live.
They all connect directly to the national grid, none have battery storage.
I apologize for getting several facts incorrect but a fire did occur......and it burned longer than it was in operation.

As a long time rechargeable battery user (Nicads up to today's high density technology including Lithium) we have learned a LOT! Depending on the "type" of battery I'm charging determines how we charge and store. When I was flying large size R/C aircraft with crazy large LIPO packs I was charging them inside of "Cinder Block" cells and we kept a large ZipLoc bag of sand over each battery as it's charging. The Cinder Block is on a Concrete basement floor in an area easily ventilated. We did not leave the home or go to bed with a battery charging. I didn't sit and watch them every second of the charge but I wasn't far away and a Smoke Detector (linked to our homes security system) was in close proximity. For Storage we literally kept them in the "Vegetable Chiller Drawer" in a fridge to help prolong life of the packs. That was for our "Dumb" packs before we got "Smart" batteries.

I have unintentionally ignited a high capacity LIPO pack (not SMART battery). I tossed into the back floorboard of a car. I heard the loud POP (this was the charging leads touching and welding together) and knew immediately what was happening. I immediately got out (we weren't moving yet), grabbed the wires, tossed the pack on the asphalt and watched it swell and then shoot a "torch" of flame out a hole. It then proceeded to literally "torch" the asphalt and poured out some NASTY smoke. We allowed it to sit and burn out in just a couple of minutes and once it was just "smoldering" we used a standard fire extinguisher to put the residual flames out as they were merely the plastic case burning. The battery had given up it's energy and burned the O2 etc fairly quickly.

I've got pictures of the above pack destruction if I can find them I'll post them here.

With today's SMART Batteries I still monitor battery charging and don't leave home or go to bed with any of them charging but now they are charged on a Glass Top table and if I charge more than one at a time I have them separated so that if one self ignites it can't ignite another unit close by.

Hmm ... the project has kept a low profile
It was !!
So too the fire news.

Still, time will tell if / how practical and effective this is for states that take it up.
The SA facility has apparently helped us through a few times now and prevented other infrastructure damage when major power losses occurred.

Reactions: Gagey52 and Droniac

I’m certain it’s posted, but I found solid info through a post of @big

I saved a post from BigAl referring us to view an insight to your query.
BigAl can you help show a link to that post ?

-“Some of you may know Ken Booth who was originally active with DJI and very involved in their Battery Design. :”.

Sorry no time to link you to it but follow as it was very helpful. Flysafe and Godspeed, Droniac

Reactions: Gagey52
I have 50 years experience flying rc sail[planes and using large LIPOS and have seen them ignite. I keep mine in a small fireproof safe.
I cant go along with keeping them in a refrigerator. The plan is if there is a mishap I want it contained in a controlled environment. I gave away my sailplanes and batteries to a friend when I started flying drones. I also gave him a small safe that contained some lipos several weeks ago he opened the safe and smoke came billowing out he immediately took it outside. he found one battery had expanded and was self destructing.

I’m certain it’s posted, but I found solid info through a post of @big

I saved a post from BigAl referring us to view an insight to your query.
BigAl can you help show a link to that post ?

-“Some of you may know Ken Booth who was originally active with DJI and very involved in their Battery Design. :”.

Sorry no time to link you to it but follow as it was very helpful. Flysafe and Godspeed, Droniac

I think this is the link you're referring to:

I have 50 years experience flying rc sail[planes and using large LIPOS and have seen them ignite. I keep mine in a small fireproof safe.
I cant go along with keeping them in a refrigerator. The plan is if there is a mishap I want it contained in a controlled environment. I gave away my sailplanes and batteries to a friend when I started flying drones. I also gave him a small safe that contained some lipos several weeks ago he opened the safe and smoke came billowing out he immediately took it outside. he found one battery had expanded and was self destructing.

I'm not far behind you with 48 years of hobby aviation under my belt.... Out of literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of batteries (I currently have over 60 in my "active" inventory right now) I have never seen or heard of a single battery incident happening when it's in "Cool Storage". Note I don't charge them in there but the chemical reactions are greatly reduced in colder temps for "dumb" batteries. I have a fridge in my ManCave and the "Veg Drawer" is 100% dedicated to long term storage of dumb batteries. It makes a big difference in longevity of batteries having everything "slowed way down". I do NOT keep "Smart Batteries" in there due to the chip and other components installed the battery case.

Of course what works for one person may or may not work for another but I have kept my "dumb" Lipos in Cool Storage for years with zero incidents. YMMV

Reactions: Gagey52
A fireproof safe certainly sounds like a very cost effective safety measure. Thanks for the tip!

I'm not far behind you with 48 years of hobby aviation under my belt.... Out of literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of batteries (I currently have over 60 in my "active" inventory right now) I have never seen or heard of a single battery incident happening when it's in "Cool Storage". Note I don't charge them in there but the chemical reactions are greatly reduced in colder temps for "dumb" batteries. I have a fridge in my ManCave and the "Veg Drawer" is 100% dedicated to long term storage of dumb batteries. It makes a big difference in longevity of batteries having everything "slowed way down". I do NOT keep "Smart Batteries" in there due to the chip and other components installed the battery case.

Of course what works for one person may or may not work for another but I have kept my "dumb" Lipos in Cool Storage for years with zero incidents. YMMV
the nice thing about rc "airplane" lipos is I have had instruments to fairly accurately evaluate the charge or lack of in the individual cells and have had smart chargers (assumable smart) to charge and discharge those batteries. with the drone batteries straight from the factory, DJI, I have looked for some kind of instrument to do the same as I did for the rc batteries with no success. The guys that fly fpv home constructed drones seem to have a leg up because they use the rc type battery and possibly have devices to accurately measure the cells. I am new to drones with only about a year plus and still learning. Many of the fields I flew rc sailplanes required several safety measures with battery use and safety. many of the guys I flew with kept their batteries in fireproof containers. I simply brought my safety concern over when i got into drones. I'm still learning and looking for better ways. By the time I get this figured out a new and better battery will come along as it did with rc aircraft.
John

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair