DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BBC 2 tonight 9-30

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hi fellow flyers there is a program about drones see title ,shall be watching with interest and i am sure there will be comments on the forum afterwards

Ther blurb starts with In the wake of the disruption at Gatwick ...

So its going to be totally anti-drone and how they justified spending 100s of millions on anti drone tech.

I think the title suggest s where that's heading... Britain's next air disaster.... Drones . I'm sure it's going to shed a positive light on our hobby/ profession.[emoji107]
not !!

Last edited:
Ther blurb starts with In the wake of the disruption at Gatwick ...

So its going to be totally anti-drone and how they justified spending 100s of millions on anti drone tech.
you are probably right, some more biased media coverage on our hobby

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Sensationalism sells media products.

People are afraid of drones (mostly wrongfully) for various reasons.

People are afraid of planes crashing and drones can cause a plane crash. (Although birds can and do cause engine failures too - much more frequently. And planes are still way safer than any other form of transportation.)

People are afraid of invasion of privacy, and drones can take pictures from high up, so yeah, of course they fear that too.

It's sad that the media won't show both sides of the story.

This may be incredibly naive of me, but is it worth reaching out to BBC with an offer to show the "other" side of the hobby? Sure it would be better if there was some organization or group that could be the front for the contact, but a long time hobby flier may work too. It is no where near as sensational so they may ignore the offer, but at least worth trying?

I am not located in BBC territory so don't really know how open they would be to this.

This may be incredibly naive of me, but is it worth reaching out to BBC with an offer to show the "other" side of the hobby? Sure it would be better if there was some organization or group that could be the front for the contact, but a long time hobby flier may work too. It is no where near as sensational so they may ignore the offer, but at least worth trying?

I am not located in BBC territory so don't really know how open they would be to this.
That isn’t interesting news for those not interested. Fear sells and gets ratings.
Very unfortunate for us

The BBC are the biggest bunch of Muppets on the planet only covering stories that suit them and bent to their own version. Totally bias coverage on most stories yet people still watch the BBC! I’m not a foil hat person far from it but any dribble that company covers is just to get ratings and not actually tell a story as it is so I never watch the BBC.

I have seen that show (online after some one told me about it) and the fact they tried to shoot it down with a .308 round is unbelievable! As a firearms holder in the UK they chose a round that would be incredibly hard to shoot it with and totally unsuitable for the job either the “sniper” is an idiot or it’s been engineered to fail. The entire think just stunk!

Felt like the companies making the anti drone tech just worked with the BBC to make a powerful advert for them to sell their tech.

Unfortunately this is the sort of sensationalism I expected from the Biased Broadcasting Corruption ☹️.
It’s shocking that by owning a TV in this country we’re forced to finance BS like this.
Clearly driven by the BBC’s desperate attempt to gain viewers, it’s the TV version of the worst kind of tabloid gutter journalism.

As I spoke to Boris Johnson last week, having a beer, he told me that a government under his lead wold immediatly start to ban cars and other motorized vehicles from the UK. They are dangerous and since most of them enter the country throug Europe, it is the only right thing to do.

As a testcase to find out if the public wil support them, they start with banning drones. If they succeed, the claim will be that after banning drones, the is a need to ban motorized vehicles to, since more people get killed by them then by drones. And if banning drones for a theoritacle risk, there has to follow action concerning real risks.

to me the whole program had nothing whatsoever to do with the recreational or commercial flyers in the UK,the people it was targeted at were terrorists or protesters intent on causing disruption at our airports.the biggest problem with such programs is the fact that it give the general public a negative perspective of drone use,after terrorists started taking bombs on planes the airports had to spend money to install detection devices for passengers and luggage now they will have to install anti drone devices to detect drones the consumer will foot the bill as they always do, with higher charges and life will go on, as i will go on, flying my drone and enjoying my hobby

Reactions: tuscy
A terrorist will use whatever they can to cause harm and disruption, nothing will stop that if they are determined.
They haven’t banned vans after the horrific attacks in London, or knives after all the stabbings!
These people will blow themselves up, they will not be stopped if they are willing to do that.
The very fact that the consultation is asking what can be done to prevent the use of drones as a terrorist tool in the same conversation as trying to decide how best to regulate the average joe shows clearly how poor their understanding of the subject actually is.
This sort of BBC drivel is fuelling the fire and painting a very negative picture of drones to anyone who is unfamiliar. You only have to see some of the Twitter feedback from last nights programme to see how the uninformed UK public are accepting this warped perspective as fact.
Really sad to see :-(

The earlier Panorama programme specifically about the Gatwick disruption was more balanced and dealt with the fact that there was no actual proof of the existence a drone, just "sightings". No photos, video or any other evidence.

Last night's programme started with the assumption that a drone definitely caused the disruption despite the lack of evidence.

I'm also disappointed that Aldo Kane was associated with this production.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
“Britain's next air disaster.... Drones” (BBC 2 Tues 2nd July) The BBC has hit the gutter with this supposed investigative program. Two minutes of positive drone use followed by 58 minutes of pure anti drone hysteria. Propagated by an ex marine having fun trying to shoot one out of the sky, and telling everybody how to bypass geo fencing, and with his repeated references to drones being weaponized I am amazed that all aircraft have not been banned because of 9/11. It makes you wonder who put up the money for this program as it seemed like a promotional video for the anti drone hardware industry. Or is there an ulterior motive to all this anti drone propaganda.

You could cause a lot more damage with an RC plane but they seem to go unnoticed by the press.
I know someone with an RC plane that can fly at over 100 miles per hour and its a lot bigger than a drone.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944

I was 100% right, makes you wonder if the bbc has their fingers in the antidrone tech pie.

Reactions: Wharf
I was 100% right, makes you wonder if the bbc has their fingers in the antidrone tech pie.
Or some one at the BBC ! I refuse to buy a TV licence and fund these idiots and have not had "live" TV for some time now. I have always hated the reporting by the BBC not just on my own personal hobbies but in general. This program again confirms they literally have no idea what they are on about.

Reactions: Wharf
to me the whole program had nothing whatsoever to do with the recreational or commercial flyers in the UK,the people it was targeted at were terrorists or protesters intent on causing disruption at our airports.the biggest problem with such programs is the fact that it give the general public a negative perspective of drone use,after terrorists started taking bombs on planes the airports had to spend money to install detection devices for passengers and luggage now they will have to install anti drone devices to detect drones the consumer will foot the bill as they always do, with higher charges and life will go on, as i will go on, flying my drone and enjoying my hobby

Agreed - it really didn't delve much into the recreational and commercial use of drones beyond pointing out that there are many positive uses for them. The program was simply about the possibilities that they open up for more nefarious use, which is a legitimate subject. The presentation was not great though - it was disappointing how many times the former Royal Marine expressed how terrified he was by modern technology. The lack of any apparent evidence that the counter-measures shown actually worked was very strange, and several discussions of the role of GPS were incorrect. The impact testing results were interesting though - generally consistent with previous data. No doubt DJI will issue another demand for an apology and retraction.

There is a illustration I like to use when someone stabs a person with a butcher knife who do you blame the manufacturer or the person who used it for the wrong purposes,
Thousands of people use knife for the right reason, and never get credit for it. Same with drones thousands use drones for the right reason, just takes a few to get the bad rap, so far had great experience just educate with my drone they love it when I explain and show them what I am filming

Reactions: Aikidoamigo
Hi All

I,m late to this thread, but I all so watched the BBC's misconceived Drone bashing documentary, and would like to have my rant please.

The BBC is staffed by lefty liberals, as are most political organisations, forget what colour their neck ties or button hole badges proclaim. Lefty Liberalism is what is ruining the UK.

Not that i'm a Comrade Putin fan but I think he nailed the problem on the head, the powers that be, institutions and the government fall over backwards to protect the rights of minorities, to legislate for minorities, all to the determent of the vast majority of the people. (see link for article).

For example, in the UK you can't say Good boy or Good girl to a child in school because it "gender stereotypes the child", and for the same reason they advocate mixed toilets for kids, what a load of BS.

This is where Liberalism has led, is it any wonder that in most European countries there is a strong tide towards the far right wing in political spheres.

God help us......

Waylander

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots