DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be more honest Epson but the possibilities are mind-blowing.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was in a tight spot in a deep valley under a waterfall and decided I couldn’t risk wearing the glasses. After many hours with them I still feel disorientated. The MP was fading in and out of GPS and on water was bobbing up and down and in narrow spaces. I almost got too scared and nearly gave up but persisted with a good android. After about an hour I got used to it but I could not take my eye of the MP for more than a second. Just before packing up I gave the glasses a go. Looks like all those many hours of practice paid off. I could manoeuvre the craft better than with the phone. Did not expect that. That is after all what they are for. To give you more control.

With more improvements in the technology and more practice I can imagine the amazing possibilities with these glasses. But Epson and DJI need to start to get honest. It takes a great deal of time and training to get to used to this technology. Come clean and tell it as it is.

But the possibilities are mind blowing.

1 You can’t see through them unless you are in the most exceptional circumstances.

2 You can train your eye and brain to look between the craft and what it sees in parts of a second rather than a much longer time than between an r/c and the craft.

3 Establish a graduated self imposed training program until you begin to feel more confident. You really have to take baby steps. But the reward is an amazing experience.
Don't sell crap and don't mislead.

So are you saying that the Epson Moverio are well worth the cost as one can fly with more precision? Or are they all hype and ones typical brain and vision has a very hard time using the technology in real world situations?

I think you are right on both counts. They are worth the cost, if you can afford them. But the hype is dishonest in that they should state that it takes a lot of time and effort to master their use.
I tell you, it was such a thrill manoeuvring between jungle rapids and foliage. Levels of concentration were intense but the thrill seeing the craft and what it sees!!!

Don't get me wrong I had to go very, very slow. Came close to dunking it or running into hanging vines a few times. I am still very much a novice.

Don't get me wrong I had to go very, very slow. Came close to dunking it or running into hanging vines a few times. I am still very much a novice.
Couldn't you have used "Tripod mode" while wearing the glasses? I haven't bought a pair of glasses yet, I am looking for a honest review. Thank you, I want to know if they are worth all the hype.

I was in a tight spot in a deep valley under a waterfall and decided I couldn’t risk wearing the glasses. After many hours with them I still feel disorientated. The MP was fading in and out of GPS and on water was bobbing up and down and in narrow spaces. I almost got too scared and nearly gave up but persisted with a good android. After about an hour I got used to it but I could not take my eye of the MP for more than a second. Just before packing up I gave the glasses a go. Looks like all those many hours of practice paid off. I could manoeuvre the craft better than with the phone. Did not expect that. That is after all what they are for. To give you more control.

With more improvements in the technology and more practice I can imagine the amazing possibilities with these glasses. But Epson and DJI need to start to get honest. It takes a great deal of time and training to get to used to this technology. Come clean and tell it as it is.

But the possibilities are mind blowing.

1 You can’t see through them unless you are in the most exceptional circumstances.

2 You can train your eye and brain to look between the craft and what it sees in parts of a second rather than a much longer time than between an r/c and the craft.

3 Establish a graduated self imposed training program until you begin to feel more confident. You really have to take baby steps. But the reward is an amazing experience.
Don't sell crap and don't mislead.

This post is valid for the most part but I wonder if "it depends" on point #1? I believe there are differences in the way people's vision and their brain's ability to process vision may be part of it. Even though I'm an older guy at 58, I was able to simultaneously see straight through to the drone and quickly glance to the screen controls right out of the box (without vision correction). The most I've had to do, even in bright SoCal sun, is snap on the light variant of the included shade and bump up the brightness of the display. My Ace enclosure is still sitting in the box.

I am very used to mono vision - starting with contact lenses correcting near and far vision in separate eyes and then Lasik monovision about a decade ago. Now I wear +1.5 readers occasionally. As I understand it- an individual's brain can either quickly adapt to mono vision or it can't- and I wonder if this is a similar adaptation that some can naturally make immediately with the BT-300 and others don't. Would be interesting if this was a factor and Epson helped people screen themselves with some sort of simple test to better match users with product.

Couldn't you have used "Tripod mode" while wearing the glasses? I haven't bought a pair of glasses yet, I am looking for a honest review. Thank you, I want to know if they are worth all the hype.
In tight situations like that you have to use tripod mode

This post is valid for the most part but I wonder if "it depends" on point #1? I believe there are differences in the way people's vision and their brain's ability to process vision may be part of it. Even though I'm an older guy at 58, I was able to simultaneously see straight through to the drone and quickly glance to the screen controls right out of the box (without vision correction). The most I've had to do, even in bright SoCal sun, is snap on the light variant of the included shade and bump up the brightness of the display. My Ace enclosure is still sitting in the box.

I am very used to mono vision - starting with contact lenses correcting near and far vision in separate eyes and then Lasik monovision about a decade ago. Now I wear +1.5 readers occasionally. As I understand it- an individual's brain can either quickly adapt to mono vision or it can't- and I wonder if this is a similar adaptation that some can naturally make immediately with the BT-300 and others don't. Would be interesting if this was a factor and Epson helped people screen themselves with some sort of simple test to better match users with product.
So you can see through the glasses?
Odd, I can only see through them in exceptional circumstances, day break, sunset and indoors. For most of the time it is impossible. So for about 95% of the time even a few meters away I cant see even the lights on the MP. Unless I switch between the very light, very dark and the Rochester ones. I think you will find this is not possible for most people. Unless I am missing the kryptonite box that came with yours:)
I wish I could. I have no axe to grind either way, I am affiliated to no tech company or any other organisation on the matter.

Reactions: Philbek
So you can see through the glasses?
Odd, I can only see through them in exceptional circumstances, day break, sunset and indoors. For most of the time it is impossible. So for about 95% of the time even a few meters away I cant see even the lights on the MP. Unless I switch between the very light, very dark and the Rochester ones. I think you will find this is not possible for most people. Unless I am missing the kryptonite box that came with yours:)
I wish I could. I have no axe to grind either way, I am affiliated to no tech company or any other organisation on the matter.

Have you tried turning down the screen brightness, then the ambient light is brighter allowing you to see through the BT-300 screen

Now that the 4.1.22 app is working these glasses are a far better option than trying to watch a tiny shiny screen
and give you more confidence with control...the only drawback really is the price

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
Yes Lannes I have tried many times to play with the brightness. To no avail. I have the latest app
DMX512.
And I am satisfied with moving my eye a few millimetres down to see the control panel and back to the craft.
The big issue for me is not really a BT glasses problem.

The big problem for me is seeing the craft then losing it in the sky. If have to look away even for a mili second I often don't find it when I go back to look for it.
This can occur a few meters away with a dark background or when it is high in the sky with a good contrast but is just way too small at say 200 to 900 meters away. So this is a general question rather than for this particular forum. I can not see the day when you can see the bird thorough the glasses as well as you can see it with the naked eye, Unless other technology is involved so I will research the question in the general section and seek answers there, For the moment i find myself positioning the craft in a particular place, say the top of the tallest mountain or tree or a prominent cloud. I have ideas and I am sure they are not original.

What we need is for Epson to make use of the Moverios camera to track the Mavic, sort of like the way the Mavic tracks objects, but in reverse, and display a moving symbol for it in the glasses.

yes that is what I was thinking, along those lines Will.i.am.
If we could build in a system of diodes that are shinny in some way so the glasses can build up an augmented reality of the craft, put together what it looks like and transmit that data to the user. Not necessarily via the glasses but they would be ideal for that. It could even be in two stages one a visual, naked eye view that only the user can see (little lights) and secondly an augmented construction of where the craft was, not only its position eg distance, height but its orientation ie its arse from its head. But also its trajectory. That is an augmented construct of the craft. Now this would be breaking the physical "line of sight" rule but it would be an augmented one. Given what the existing the technology that the MP uses, I don't think this would be a huge step. And it is so obvious that I am sure they are working on it, or at least passed someones mind. But it is defiantly the next step.
If a government employee can sit at a consul and fire a missile at a "possible" terrorist thousands of miles away, why cant we see our little box of wonder, miles away? Complementing this would have to be the ability of the craft and user to see its environment in 3D so we can see all the possible hazards. If Killing people on purpose is ok, and it isn't, then why cant I fly a wonder box for fun? Anyway considering what these murdering drones can do it is one small step for the Mavic. I did not intend, initially, to muddy the waters with killing drones thing, but the moral argument will come up.

So DJI where is my multi 3D sensors to avoid collision and transmit exactly where it is and what it is doing, Mavic Ultimate?
And because I am not very demanding I want it to be at about the same price. And by the way a minimal improvement can be the ability of theDJI app to talk to me like Litchi does. I like her voice it could even be an AI interaction.

Why don't you attach lights to the AC, like the Cree strobon or lume cube. might make the AC more visible

Reactions: mreloc
What a good idea. I am on holiday at the moment but before I left home I tried a highly luminous push bike light for flying at dusk. It never occurred to me to fly a long distance with them. I have since seen youtube vids with guys attaching lights. Brought them with me to play with, I may play with them on a longer flight. The light seems a bit heavy though. Its about the size of a small lighter. I wonder if it is two heavy? But the AC does deal with a great deal of pressure, wind and g-forces so it should be ok.
I didn't realise they made lights for the AC though, thanks for that lannes will defiantly order some. Do you have some? If so where did you get them?

What a good idea. I am on holiday at the moment but before I left home I tried a highly luminous push bike light for flying at dusk. It never occurred to me to fly a long distance with them. I have since seen youtube vids with guys attaching lights. Brought them with me to play with, I may play with them on a longer flight. The light seems a bit heavy though. Its about the size of a small lighter. I wonder if it is two heavy? But the AC does deal with a great deal of pressure, wind and g-forces so it should be ok.
I didn't realise they made lights for the AC though, thanks for that lannes will defiantly order some. Do you have some? If so where did you get them?

Hi John

I am using these at the moment, got the white ones as they are apparently the brightest, the dedicated mounts are expensive or you could use double side velcro to hold it on

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

Strobon Cree LED Standalone Strobe Mount For DJI Mavic Pro ABS 3D Printed Qty 2 | eBay

Also experimenting with the lume cube on the mavic, it's heavier but brighter and a bit more cumbersome a solution as you have to use the phone app to turn on the strobe function each time you turn it on.

Hi John

I am using these at the moment, got the white ones as they are apparently the brightest, the dedicated mounts are expensive or you could use double side velcro to hold it on

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

Strobon Cree LED Standalone Strobe Mount For DJI Mavic Pro ABS 3D Printed Qty 2 | eBay

Also experimenting with the lume cube on the mavic, it's heavier but brighter and a bit more cumbersome a solution as you have to use the phone app to turn on the strobe function each time you turn it on.
How is it going with the lights? I ended up not ordering them. Lost my atm card, bugger. Forgot I could have used PP.
Today I tried a small, cheap 200 lumen torch and could see the MP easily at 1500 meters (5000 ft). The wind picked up forcing me to bring it back. The touch weighs about 155 grams. But the MP coped fine with it even in sports mode. Wil test it again. But a big relief, at least I know where abouts it is and what is around it, of sorts.

How is it going with the lights? I ended up not ordering them. Lost my atm card, bugger. Forgot I could have used PP.
Today I tried a small, cheap 200 lumen torch and could see the MP easily at 1500 meters (5000 ft). The wind picked up forcing me to bring it back. The touch weighs about 155 grams. But the MP coped fine with it even in sports mode. Wil test it again. But a big relief, at least I know where abouts it is and what is around it, of sorts.

The lights are going well, just ordered another two with some holders for the front legs, planning to use 4 on the Mavic Pro. The strobeon are ideal as they don't change any of the flight characterisitic.
The Lume cubes are a bit heavy for the Mavic but work perfectly on the P4P

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851