DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beach flying and concerns?

Lightsped

Reactions
I will be going to the beach in a week or so. I would like to get the routine beach shots with my Mavic. I am concerned about landing and taking off in the sand. I will not have room to bring plywood or a table with me on the trip itself. What are my options?

Also, exactly how is a hand landing done where a spotter can reach up and grab the Mavic? Will someone reaching for the drone cause the two downward facing sensors to become confused?

Helipads are good for sandy areas. Have a Google for Mavic Helipad

you should practice taking off and landing on your hand. I turn off landing protection to make it easier.

The resort i stayed at had wood beach chairs that worked well for launching. They had slats in them so were too risky for landing. I find it easier to hand catch while landing than takeoff from hand.

if you are on the ocean, watch out for helicopters, especially near sunset. When i was in florida, a helo came by every night about 130 agl just a few feet off the beach likely traveling at least 100 mph.

Reactions: Blucenturion
I turn off the downward facing sensors. I hand launch and hand catch with no problems. If you're flying at the beach you won't use them anyway.

I am concerned about landing and taking off in the sand. I will not have room to bring plywood or a table with me on the trip itself. What are my options?
When I go to the beach, there are usually parking lots and/or roads near the beach entrance. I take off from those locations so I don't have to fly close to the sand. If that's not possible, you could hold the Mavic in the air (preferably above eye level) and take off from your hand.

how is a hand landing done where a spotter can reach up and grab the Mavic?
I think it'll be easier (and safer) to hand catch yourself since you'll be manning the remote controller. That'll allow you to make any last second adjustments (if needed).

Here's one way to hand catch the Mavic:

Will someone reaching for the drone cause the two downward facing sensors to become confused?
If Landing Protection is enabled (see below), your Mavic will try to pull away from your hand when you reach up to grab it. Hang on tight and all will be just fine. If you want to prevent that from occurring, disable the Landing Protection setting in DJI GO. When disabled, placing your hand below the Mavic will not cause it to automatically ascend.

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

Don't forget the landing pad may flap about in the downwash so remember the pegs which in sand limits where you can use it. Personally i take off from compacted sand down near the water line using landing gear extensions, not the sloppy stuff but the perfectly flat and smooth sand that the outgoing tide leaves. Alternatively if your backpack is big enough and flat enough take off from there and land by hand catching.

I hand catch but never hand launch, and when handing catching I never once disable landing protection or VPS. Never once had it mistake my hand for the ground, I get the Mavic in position i.e. arms reach above the ground, leave the sticks in place, walk up to it, thumb and forefinger around the bottom and as I do hold the left stick down.

Good tip on the helicopters, they like to buzz beaches and watch out for angry sunbathers ;-)

I got a helipad from amazon. The cheapest I can find. It came with stakes and reflective stickers already.

I used it when we went to the beach last week, (it was my first non-beginner mode flight too!) I took off from that helipad, and then when it was time to land, shook the sand off and then I landed.

Reactions: Cbslagle
If you're really cheap, goto the hardware store and buy a cheap door mat for a landing pad. Or goto the carpet store and ask for a piece of carpet remenace. They'll probably just give you a small piece of carpet. Or, just thought about this one while in the bathroom... haha. What about the 3 - 4 bath mats you have in the linen closet?

Last edited:
Landing pad. Folds up into almost nothing. If you are so inclined RTH finds it perfectly 99% of the time.

I will be going to the beach in a week or so. I would like to get the routine beach shots with my Mavic. I am concerned about landing and taking off in the sand. I will not have room to bring plywood or a table with me on the trip itself. What are my options?

Also, exactly how is a hand landing done where a spotter can reach up and grab the Mavic? Will someone reaching for the drone cause the two downward facing sensors to become confused?
Just use a magazine bro.

Reactions: RckSti
IMO, your BIGGEST concern should be WATER, especially the SALT variety.
If you loose your bird in there, you can kiss your $1000 to $1300 toy goodbye.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada