DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beautiful day....then wind...

TexasRancher

Reactions
My daughter is home sick...I am here with her....figured to fly, but the wind is 16-23.

Man, cannot catch a break.. heh. Not sure if it will go higher or be more wind at 100ft. It was 14-18 20 minutes ago, must be a front pushing thru. Hoping noon will settle down.

Would you fly your Mav in this?

R

yea, thought so. Oh well.

BTW: The calibration in the dji app. I read somewhere that can be done on the PC.. i.e. dji assistant.. I was always afraid to try that for fear it would take off in the house and bust into a wall.. heh. Is it safe to do that indoors?

R

My daughter is home sick...I am here with her....figured to fly, but the wind is 16-23.

Man, cannot catch a break.. heh. Not sure if it will go higher or be more wind at 100ft. It was 14-18 20 minutes ago, must be a front pushing thru. Hoping noon will settle down.

Would you fly your Mav in this?

R
That's in that range where you probably would be fine, (say you are just curious how it performs in these conditions, and flew it close and low), but you wouldn't have a lot of margin for error, esp at altitude.

Nahh, I’d probably wait for a calmer day… but that’s just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasRancher
Agreed. Was not going to be able to fly today due to work anyway, but since my daughter was home sick and asleep, figured to try, but no go.

I was, however, able to calibrate the compass and the imu.

I am watching tutorials atm to learn more about how to take care of it. I know that Airdata says something about "servicing" the batteries, I am assuming that just means discharging them till they die, letting them cool, and then charging them again.

Right now, googling what it takes to s"service" them correctly.

Then.. hrm... will work on videos...

It is a "drone learning and education day" lol

Thanks for putting up with my rambling ;)

R

Agreed. Was not going to be able to fly today due to work anyway, but since my daughter was home sick and asleep, figured to try, but no go.

I was, however, able to calibrate the compass and the imu.

I am watching tutorials atm to learn more about how to take care of it. I know that Airdata says something about "servicing" the batteries, I am assuming that just means discharging them till they die, letting them cool, and then charging them again.

Right now, googling what it takes to s"service" them correctly.

Then.. hrm... will work on videos...

It is a "drone learning and education day" lol

Thanks for putting up with my rambling ;)

R
Hope your daughter feels better.

As for battery "servicing", I'm of the belief any cycling of lipo is a cycle taken from it's already limited lifespan.

Let us know their recommendation.

Wow, good information. Took a while to find it, but it is actually on the website and has a step by step procedure:

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Now, the question comes to mind, "Does DJI approve of this procedure or recommend it?". I will ask on their site and see. Would do well to show a history of battery maintenance if there is ever an issue, not that they would do anything or care after 6 months.. heh.

Russ

Wow, good information. Took a while to find it, but it is actually on the website and has a step by step procedure:

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Now, the question comes to mind, "Does DJI approve of this procedure or recommend it?". I will ask on their site and see. Would do well to show a history of battery maintenance if there is ever an issue, not that they would do anything or care after 6 months.. heh.

Russ
Mavic Batterys will look after themselves in that they have built in circuitry that auto disharges them to standby level if not used for 10 days (autoset) but can be adjusted in Go4 app from 1 to 10 days.
Go app also is standard set to alarm discharge at 30% and auto RTH at 20% which it deems as depleted battery.
It is good that once every 3 months you change this to 10% and fly Mavic right to that 10% then let cool and recharge.
Although Lithium Polymer batterys dont get or retain a memory, it is good to refresh the full status of all cells and get them back into equalibrium and properly balanced.
This helps to avoid a cell going below or above voltage specs and puffing.
Mavic batterys are not quite like older polymer that airshare refer to and dont need the matienence they refer too.

Mavic Batterys will look after themselves in that they have built in circuitry that auto disharges them to standby level if not used for 10 days (autoset) but can be adjusted in Go4 app from 1 to 10 days.
Go app also is standard set to alarm discharge at 30% and auto RTH at 20% which it deems as depleted battery.
It is good that once every 3 months you change this to 10% and fly Mavic right to that 10% then let cool and recharge.
Although Lithium Polymer batterys dont get or retain a memory, it is good to refresh the full status of all cells and get them back into equalibrium and properly balanced.
This helps to avoid a cell going below or above voltage specs and puffing.
Mavic batterys are not quite like older polymer that airshare refer to and dont need the matienence they refer too.

Good to know, thanks for the infoThumbswayup

excellent info, agreed. I also watched some guy's video... he loved to talk so it was looooooonnngg.. lol, but, it goes to the point I had with one of the first batteries I had.

Here is the link: good info, along with yours. Somewhere in between is good care, I am sure.

One battery, after 18 charges, developed a "bubble". When it generated a battery error, I noticed that 1 of 3 cells was reading a different discharge than the other two.

Then it developed a bubble on the outside of the battery.

There was no apparent damage to the battery or the drone, but since I had purchased the drone et al off craigslist, DJI would not even discuss the issue with me other than to say, "discharge, recharge, check the warranty".. heh. Not a huge deal, but once I found the bubble, I disposed of it at Home Depot (they have drop-off bins for these types).

Shame, since it only showed 18 charges when this all occurred, and 22 when I threw it away. IMO... if it clearly showed this low of usage, it should be like a dang car and have "3yrs or 50 charges, whichever comes first" type thing.. lol

But, replaced it with 3 new batteries...but, now I have a new problem.

I numbered them all.. that was #3... now I go 1, 2, 4, 5, 6.....and that is driving me nuts... lol

must....get....another....

R ;)

yea, thought so. Oh well.

BTW: The calibration in the dji app. I read somewhere that can be done on the PC.. i.e. dji assistant.. I was always afraid to try that for fear it would take off in the house and bust into a wall.. heh. Is it safe to do that indoors?

R

I update and mess around with the settings indoors, never had an issue with the motors starting. Never heard of it happening to think of it. But if it makes you more comfortable, just remove the props. Problem solved, can't fly if it doesn't have wings.

lol! See? smarter people than me.. truth be told, I have not even looked at removing them. I guess I should do that at least for the practice.

So many things I wish I knew.. wish there were more Mavic people closer by. All I have is here and Youtube. The DJI site seems sorta.. 'slanted' (?).. not being disrespectful, but I feel like if I say something untowards, I might have fire and brimstone rain down.. heh.. so I post here. More useful and objective, I think.

Thanks guys.

R

I ordered the Mavic when it first came out essentially. Had to wait months for it to arrive. Up until that point I watched every video on YouTube that I could find and read the online manual about 10 times cover to cover. I did print it out as well before I realized it would be ever changing due to updates and feature changes.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf

This is the link to the most recent manual release in Dec of 2017. Hope this helps.

I numbered them all.. that was #3... now I go 1, 2, 4, 5, 6.....and that is driving me nuts... lol

must....get....another....

R ;)
You can rename the batteries. I had the same thing bugging me. Just renamed the failed battery as 'retired' and the others in correct sequence.

lol.. oh no.. I wrote the numbers ON the batteries.. so now.. 3 is missing.. laugh.

Seriously, not a huge deal, but one I am CDO enough to bug me.. in a funny way, not literally.

(pssstt.. but it is a good excuse to get the wife to let me buy another battery.. muahahahaha)

R

lol.. oh no.. I wrote the numbers ON the batteries.. so now.. 3 is missing.. laugh.

Seriously, not a huge deal, but one I am CDO enough to bug me.. in a funny way, not literally.

(pssstt.. but it is a good excuse to get the wife to let me buy another battery.. muahahahaha)

R
SHHH... She doesn't have to know, I won't tell if you don't. lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242