DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beer question

Nosebump

Reactions
With the Corona virus limiting our activity, I want to send a neighbor (-who lives a block away) a beer using my Magic Pro as the delivery vehicle. My question is can the MP transport that kind of weight without causing damage?

Even though it could technically lift a beer, here are a few things to consider:
  • If the beer somehow releases from the drone, it could do some damage if it hits a person/car/property.
  • It'll likely be a challenge to safely fly the Mavic with a beer attached since there will be a swinging weight below the drone.
It might be safer for your neighbor to make a quick run to the beer store (if they are open in your area).

Even though it could technically lift a beer, here are a few things to consider:
  • If the beer somehow releases from the drone, it could do some damage if it hits a person/car/property.
  • It'll likely be a challenge to safely fly the Mavic with a beer attached since there will be a swinging weight below the drone.
It might be safer for your neighbor to make a quick run to the beer store (if they are open in your area).

If all the above can be addressed . . .
  • The beer can (preferably, not bottle) and drone will need to be wipe down with disinfectant etc to ensure all safe.

I ran out of daylight today, so tomorrow I’ll try The beer test. If the flight becomes sketchy, I’ll substitute a roll of toilet paper. Fortunately, the flight will not be over anything that could be harmed if anything falls. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

With the Corona virus limiting our activity, I want to send a neighbor (-who lives a block away) a beer using my Magic Pro as the delivery vehicle. My question is can the MP transport that kind of weight without causing damage?

I like the way you think. Wish you were my neighbor.

Reactions: Bob L
Will it be an ice cold Corona?

Reactions: mfc
Seriously. That could be a very expensive beer. How about sending Toilet paper instead. At least if you crash you have a cushion :
Im still flying in NJ. Only weather limiting my flights. I dont like wind neither does my MAV

I thought I’d posted a reply. The beer was too heavy, so I substituted a dangling roll of toilet paper to taunt instead, and I’m glad that I did. I’ll try to attach a picture.

Lessons learned:
1. Even with the diminished load, the Mavic Pro handled completely different. It flew squirrelly. -The reason? I attached the tow line at the only place available on the bottom side of the drone, which was slightly aft. That shifted the center of gravity slightly aft too, which created the squirrelly behavior. The drone would only go 3 or 4 mph forward. I was reluctant to try backward flight.

2. If I’d tried backward flight, I might have exceeded the “tipping point”, causing a crash.
3. Landing was difficult, and risked tangling the tow line in the props. Also, the downward sensors were inop, and constantly clucked at me. As a result, I caught the drone while it was airborne.
4. The toilet paper, no matter how carefully I flew, began oscillating back and forth like a pendulum. The drone compensated (I could hear the props vary in their pitch) but I suspect the oscillations presented a safety risk.
5. I won’t try this again.

Attachments

• 284C7072-706C-4610-8183-B02ADE364348.jpeg
    284C7072-706C-4610-8183-B02ADE364348.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 87
Sounds similar to what this Australian chap just did with what looks like a Phantom:

Albiet, that was with whisky...

Could a Mavic / Mavic 2 handle the above cargo?

Someone here used a Mavic in waypoint mode to fly a ghost tethered to it during Halloween. It might have been an M2 which may have more stability with load imbalances.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo