DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner drone recommendation

tom4ktm

Reactions
Hello to everybody.

As a beginner to drone flying, but regular model and fpv flyer I would like to ask for you recommendations.
I am looking for drone with:
Good stability and very easy flying
Longest control/video range available
Decent quality of video/pic.

I decided for DJI mini 2.

What do you think, is this good decision for hobby/relax flying, mostly for FPV operation and some video pic making?

Many thanks and I wish you all the best guys!

Tomas

...I decided for DJI mini 2. What do you think...

...mostly for FPV operation...
Hi there & welcome to the forum ?:D

Thumbswayup Yeah ... you don't have anything else that can be called "Beginner" & fulfill your requirements... from DJI.

Don't follow your comment about FPV operation though ... care to expand that expectation a bit more?

Reactions: Droniac
Many thanks for answers to everybody!

slup: Regarding fpv operation, just flying around and above the fields and hills when I will go for hiking.

The cyborg: This drone is amazing and looks great, but the price is little bit higher for me.

Almost all DJI drones fit those requirements...but then you mention the "cheapest" drone by price.
What is your price point, or have you already made up your mind??

Around the 500 Dollars is my maximum. DJI is my number one choice but does not have to be exactly this brand. But to be honest, from me research DJI mini 2 seems to be the best one according my requirements.

What do you think, is this good decision for hobby/relax flying, mostly for FPV operation and some video pic making?
The Mini 2 is a fantastic drone. Certainly nothing beginner about it really. It's packed with many of the great usual DJI features.

The Mini 2 is a fantastic drone. Certainly nothing beginner about it really. It's packed with many of the great usual DJI features.
But would work great as a beginner drone as it will just about fly itself! Excellent little drone!

I agree that at the $500 point your best bet would be the Mini2 BUT offer the suggestion to go for the Fly More Combo. Jumping from $450 US for just the drone to $600 for the FMC gives you 2 additional batteries( $110 value) the charger and charging hub(roughly $60) bag($30) and an additional set of props( ~$20) it's not quite as good a value as with the original Mini or with the Air2 but I can guarantee you're going to want to fly more and the 2 batteries almost cover the costs of everything else in the combo

Hello Tom4ktm:

Welcome to the forum! I agree with all the helpful responses you’ve received above - the DJI Mini 2 can be a great 1st drone. If your budget is absolutely limited to the $500 region, it could likely be your best choice.

However, if your budget could be stretched a bit I suggest you take a good look at the Mavic Air 2. With the rumored debut of the Air 2S prices on the Mavic Air 2 (MA2) are dropping greatly and one could be within your reach. I started with a MA2 and added a Mini 2 later. I have many hours flying both drones and for me the MA2 is actually a better ”beginner” drone than the Mini 2. However, I realize that what makes a particular drone a good beginner drone for me might not be the same for others!

Why I feel the MA2 was better for my beginning experience that my Mini 2 would have been:

1. MA2 has more stable flight in moderate or heavier winds. I find the MA2 easier to manually land on a small pad in windy conditions as it holds it’s position better and I can get it down in the center of the pad better.

2. MA2 has a slightly higher stance. The Mini 2 is truly compact and thus it’s landing “stance” is low, especially in the rear. I find I have to plan my landing and takeoff situations more carefully with the Mini 2 to avoid clipping the landing pad or surface irregularities with it’s rear props. The MA2 has just a bit taller stance allowing it to perch above more objects than the Mini 2. Now that I’m a more experienced pilot this isn’t much of an issue, but had many of my beginning flights been with the Mini 2 I would have clipped my rear props more often.

3. The MA2 has precision landing available. When I initially made many of my first flights I used RTH (return to home) followed by automated precision landing to gain confidence in getting my drone safely back to the ground without problems of dust, vegetation, etc. Most of my flying is in remote areas with a lot of surrounding vegetation and uneven surfaces so I’m not flying from parking lots or other level surfaces. Thus, for me, the precision landing was a helpful tool initially.

4. The MA2 has relatively good obstacle avoidance (OA) capabilities. While one shouldn’t depend on OA to prevent crashes, it was helpful when I was a beginning pilot.

5. If you have previously used higher quality devices (digital single lens reflex cameras, etc) to record images and videos, the MA2 may produce results more in line with your expectations than the Mini 2 due to a larger sensor, higher frame rates at the highest video resolutions, etc.

Just some additional information for you!

Howard

Reactions: Dbez1 and StantonZ
Hello to everybody.

As a beginner to drone flying, but regular model and fpv flyer I would like to ask for you recommendations.

Tomas
Air2 much better choice IMHO. As longest range part - means diddly if you can't see VLOS. Camera video / picture quality is very important and Air2 wins again. Only thing Mini2 wins in is weight and not under all regs of FAA - like for registration. Easier to fly overseas as most rules there are somewhat like US / FAA's on weight.

Mini2 is not a bad choice by no means. Air2 to me has everything including a tiny bit more weight for flying in higher speed winds (which is not advisable for any drone) - but can happen out of nowhere.

Around the 500 Dollars is my maximum. DJI is my number one choice but does not have to be exactly this brand. But to be honest, from me research DJI mini 2 seems to be the best one according my requirements.
I think the Mini 2 is what you are looking for. It's a fabulous little drone that is imminently portable with a great battery life and a good, strong connection to the RC. I have an Air 2 and not a Mini 2, so I'm not just recommending what I have. But I do recommend the Mini 2 to people who ask my opinion as to a good 1st drone, or a possible upgrade.

For what you’ve said your purpose from My understand Mac 2 Mini is what you’re looking for. But I humbly rest in the hands at the Very experienced here. Godspeed. (Welcome!)

Hi tom4ktm,

Mini 2 - Fly More Combo.

Sounds like you’re on the go and will use the drone for travel, hiking, etc. The Mini 2 would be very capable drone for 90% of flying - great pictures and video with amazing gimbal stability. It is compact, packable and easy to hand launch/land (with a bit of practice) when on rough ground like hiking or beach.

DJI Fly app is good for new pilots - lots of location warnings, preflight check and even tutorials right on the app.

Control link is Occusync 2.0 - very stable for VLOS (more likely to exceed visual limits before the link capabilities!) and wi-if congested areas, like in downtown cities.

Buy a couple ND filters and your video and pictures with RAW for post editing are going to be incredible quality. Certainly produce epic shots for social media, YouTube, etc. without huge file sizes.

You will crash so I’d stick with the lower price point while learning and DJI is good to deal with when you do. The Mini 2 packs a number of “selfie” features, great in winds up to 40 km. I flew on Wednesday at a kite surfing spot (no kites in the air obviously) with steady 28km, gusting to I’d say about 50 km. It pushed the stated limits but the drone impressed and handled it very well.

A key feature is it’s sub-250 grams too (mine’s 242.7 g take off weight) which varies but in many countries does not come with all the restrictions / regulations. Its small size draws less attention too. I do recommend getting licensed as you will be challenged where being a licensed pilot brings instant credibility, even when not legally required and helps explain better we’re just flying, not spying!

I too would recommend the Fly More Combo - all you need to get out for a day’s photography/videography with a compact weather resistant carry case.

Hello to everybody.

Tomas
Great stability, easy to fly, hard to crash, BEST camera...Mavic 2 Pro. If you get it you will thank me the first time you see a video

Hello tom4ktm,

For $500, I think the Mini 2 is an excellent choice. You can actually get the Fly More package for a little more money ($599), and that comes with 2 extra batteries, a charging station, extra rotor blades, and a dedicated carrying bag for the drone and its supplies. I started out with a Holystone 4K 720E that had "ehh" video quality, and terrible range. When I got the Mini 2 (admittedly, for a couple hundred dollars more) it was no contest - video image and range are far superior due to its 3-axis gimble and Occusync 2.0.

While it lacks anything but downward facing sensors, it is very easy to fly, and because of its weight (<250g ), if it falls from a not-too-high altitude, it won't sustain quite as much damage on a softer surface, such as on grass or dirt. The DJI Care Refresh on the Mini 2 (which I strongly recommend getting!!) is pretty cheap too, just in case you do damage it.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro with sensors all around, and guess what... that is the drone that I have crashed and damaged! I made a common mistake - relying on sensors instead of good sense. The Mini 2 actually teaches you to be a better pilot by forcing you to pay more attention, plus it has a very quick and easy learning curve. If you scout your location and fly higher than any surrounding obstacles, i.e. trees, power lines, buildings etc., then you really have nothing to worry about. I personally don't fly any of my drones in strong winds, including the more powerful M2P. I'd suggest you download UAV Forecast for free on your smart phone, and you'll have local wind conditions at your fingertips.

The only negative for me is that the Mini 2 lacks tracking features, but is does have some Quick Shot features like dronie, rocket, slingshot etc. for some cinematic shots. As always, remember to scout your location before using them. I own the M2P because I am planning on using it to make some extra income, and I want the professional grade camera that comes with it. But I honestly have more fun flying the Mini 2 than my M2P (probably because I don't stress as much due to its "relatively low cost."). ;)

If your goal is to take great quality 4K video to share with family and friends - or yourself - instantly on Facebook or on YouTube, then this little guy is fantastic. If however, you want professional grade video that you can edit with editing software, or perhaps you hope to sell your images for money, then go for the MA2. But as a beginner drone, I think the Mini 2 with the Fly More package will truly delight. You'll be amazed at what such a tiny little drone like this can give you. On a $500 budget, I just don't think there is a better drone out there.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck, and happy flying!

Reactions: Droniac
Hello to everybody.

Tomas
I would recommend the mini 2 drone.very reliable and easy to fly. Great long distance range and long battery life

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000