DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner questions

crucx

Reactions
Hey.

So i have 2 questions atm:

1. Is it a clever idea or bad idea to do a video capture and then do with a video player like vlc player a snapshot of the moment i want without losing the resolution ? :). I feel its clever. But i think the photo mode has a higher resolution so doesnt that means the picture quality should be better than the video quality ?

Here a example picture (Default settings. I just turned on cinematic but i think that counts only for the video capture anyways):DJI_0013.JPG

I actually like it. But it looks a bit to sharp, noisy. I think i need the right settings depending on the time. Would be nice if someone could link a video where i can learn about shutter and the right settings depending on what i want or the time :). Sometimes i do some shots at mornings, and sometimes at evenings.

2. Yesterday i was doing some test flies within 10 meters of the starting point. At the end of the flight, i flew my drone behind my self (with a height of 10 meters or a bit less) but i forgot to rotate with the controllers too... so my controllers were looking to north and my drone was south and because that i lost signal to the controllers and my drone turned to RTH. I am glad this happened because i noticed a issue: My drone didnt went any high at all. I have set the MINIMAL altitude to 90 meters for my drone for the RTH function. So doesn't that means my drone should actually fly 90 meters high and THEN start moving to the homepoint ?

I am sure i missed a option there. But i have set the min altitude to 90 already for the RTH function and as well for the drone itself. I flew yesterday a bit far and then lowered also the height a bit from 90 to 70 and between me and my drone, there was a tree but the drone was still above the tree. I am glad i didn't decreased the height there at all more. I would lose signal to the controllers and my drone would turn into RTH and fly straight to the tree (i know there is this "x" button where i can cancel RTH once i got the signal back. But my drone was like 5 meters close to the tree so there would be no time and i would crash it already).
I am sooooo happy that i realized this issue (i am sure i just missed a option somewhere. Its not really a bug or otherwise it would be reported already haha). I crashed my drone already 4 times in a row ALMOST. 2 times because ATTI mode and not much space in the surrounding and once because a plane ... and now this lmao.

I have watched so many videos and i have read the manuals so many times online before my drone even arrived to me and i thought i knew already now every thing. But nope. There is still a lot that i don't know

Reply to first question and also realise that I have the Mavic Pro.
I usually video then process in either Pinnacle Studio or Resolve which are video editors. I will then take a snapshot from my video and process that. Quality for me seems ok.

Reactions: PAW and crucx
Depends what you are after.
M2P has 20MP Camera and if used in AEB/HDR mode with 3-5 pics the photos will be better than screenshot off video.
I would normally record in 4K H265 so plenty of color in both pic and video...

Reactions: crucx
Thanks.
I looked in the DJI app and explored all the settings. I found a setting called "keep altitude on RTH". And this option is ON. So i guess THIS explains why my air didn't flew 90 meters high while i had set the minimal altitude for RTH to 90. Correct me if i missed something else. But this sounds right. So i turn it off. Because sometimes i fly a bit too far and then lower the altitude and i could lose signal to the controllers Actually and if it starts RTH without going to a height of 90m, it would crash probably in a fence or bush...

1. Images shot as stills will always have much better image quality than frame grabs from video.
Resolution and shutter speed are two obvious reasons.
2. Yesterday i was doing some test flies within 10 meters of the starting point. At the end of the flight, i flew my drone behind my self (with a height of 10 meters or a bit less) but i forgot to rotate with the controllers too... so my controllers were looking to north and my drone was south and because that i lost signal to the controllers and my drone turned to RTH. I am glad this happened because i noticed a issue: My drone didnt went any high at all. I have set the MINIMAL altitude to 90 meters for my drone for the RTH function. So doesn't that means my drone should actually fly 90 meters high and THEN start moving to the homepoint ?
The explanation is on page 14 of your manual:
RTH ProcedureSmart RTH, Low Battery RTH, and Failsafe RTH follow this procedure:
1. The aircraft adjusts its orientation.
2. a. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point it ascends to the pre-set RTH altitude and then flies to the Home Point.
b. If the aircraft is between 5 m and 20 m from the Home Point it flies to the Home Point at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2.5 m, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2.5 m and then flies to the Home Point.
c. If the aircraft is less than 5 m from the Home Point it lands immediately
I crashed my drone already 4 times in a row ALMOST. 2 times because ATTI mode and not much space in the surrounding and once because a plane ... and now this
It's very difficult to get into trouble if you fly where there is nothing to hit.
Find a large, open area, well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles for your learning flights.

Reactions: crucx and Thomas B
You will always get a better still image when used as a still camera, compared to a screen grab of a video. But it depends on what you want to use the end shot for. Just viewing it on an average computer, you may not notice much difference at all. You may be able to see a difference but the difference may be acceptable to you for your intended purpose, only you could know/decide that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580