DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginners Mode - Actually Very Dangerous

schiho

Reactions
I got my Drone 4 Weeks ago and the Beginner's Mode almost broke my drone two times until I switched it off.

First incident: (Los Angeles)
I was hovering around my self, close to the bushes, but still 5-10 Meters high. Suddenly the drone forced itself to land, and I couldn't do anything and it landed directly on the bushes. It wasn't a bad crash and as the bushes were really tight, it kind of landed, trimming some leaves.

However, the second one almost dumped the drone into the water. (Rio)
I was at the shore line, 20-30 Meters away from the water and took off, took some videos and pictures. After that, I got more confidence so I went a little closer to the shoreline (10 Meters High) and the drone suddenly gave me the warning "maximum distance reached" and started landing!!! And again, I couldn't take control, I run to catch the drone and it was about to land on the water. Luckily the moment the waves went back, freeing up the shore, I was able to rescue it.

I am not sure but it shouldn't be that easy to crash the Drone? Any thoughts?

I have experience with other drones, but that was the first thing I turned off.

Yuneec's Typhoon H has a feature called "Smart Mode" which is kind of the opposite. It'll prevent the craft from getting close to you. It's behavior is unpredictable if you forget that it's enabled.

Wide open spaces or get some height above obstacles is the solution.

No since beginner mode prevents you form entering sports mode.

It's really meant for your first flights in a foodlball field kind of place with no obstacles or anything, once you have an idea of what the sticks do it should be deactivated (and you should learn about all the different things that could happen).

Reactions: cwquek and schiho
Odd thing. I started with mine in Begginers mode at first time, got the same popup when i reached maximum distance but it didnt autoland ! Sure it wasnt you ? How was the throttle stick?

Reactions: schiho
I got my Drone 4 Weeks ago and the Beginner's Mode almost broke my drone two times until I switched it off.

First incident: (Los Angeles)
I was hovering around my self, close to the bushes, but still 5-10 Meters high. Suddenly the drone forced itself to land, and I couldn't do anything and it landed directly on the bushes. It wasn't a bad crash and as the bushes were really tight, it kind of landed, trimming some leaves.

However, the second one almost dumped the drone into the water. (Rio)
I was at the shore line, 20-30 Meters away from the water and took off, took some videos and pictures. After that, I got more confidence so I went a little closer to the shoreline (10 Meters High) and the drone suddenly gave me the warning "maximum distance reached" and started landing!!! And again, I couldn't take control, I run to catch the drone and it was about to land on the water. Luckily the moment the waves went back, freeing up the shore, I was able to rescue it.

I am not sure but it shouldn't be that easy to crash the Drone? Any thoughts?
During my learning time... In beginner mode... I was far away from bushes and water.... On a flat dry area.

If you fly over water or bushes , especially as a newbie pilot, get ready for crashes into water and bushes.

Beginner mode is actually very NOT dangerous.

Reactions: ppauley
I used Beginners Mode for a few flights when I first got my Mavic. When I reached the maximum heights/distances it didn't auto land, it just stopped, warned me and then I would fly back into range.
Yah, exactly same for me... But maybe he was end of battery or other similar situation...

Beginner mode will not force land if it hits a distance limit.
What CAN happen is because the drone is kept close then RTH if used will auto land where it is instead of coming home. If its within 60ft it'll land where it is. The manual says this but most people cant be bothered to read the manual.
Beginner mode isnt dangerous in the slightest. Flying near bushes and over water without familiarising yourself with its behaviour first strikes me as more dangerous.

I've actually stayed in beginner mode as I get the hang of controls and such. This is even better near the house when there are too many obstacles to safely fly at speed (for me). It has NEVER automatically landed. Either I had to lower to a height to make it want to land (it beeps away) or push the land button. Any chance you pushed down while over the bushes?

I've actually stayed in beginner mode as I get the hang of controls and such. This is even better near the house when there are too many obstacles to safely fly at speed (for me). It has NEVER automatically landed. Either I had to lower to a height to make it want to land (it beeps away) or push the land button. Any chance you pushed down while over the bushes?

Me too! Sounds like pilot error.

I've actually stayed in beginner mode as I get the hang of controls and such.

same here. I used beginners mode extensively during the first week with the MP. It is certainly not dangerous - just the contrary. As the name implies, it is specifically meant for beginners: speed limitation, altitude limitation, range limitation. That's all. Makes it really hard to crash the MP (but of course still possible :))

RTH functions may appear to be impaired, because of the range limitation. The manual explains all RTH options and limitations, though.

For clarification, the battery was fully charged. I was just rewatching my flight, there is no indication of anything, is there a more detailed log I can fetch?

For clarification, the battery was fully charged. I was just rewatching my flight, there is no indication of anything, is there a more detailed log I can fetch?

Absolutely sure you did not accidentially hit the RTH button?

Logged flight data can be pulled from the MP, but I'm not sure how to do this. That log would show any input you made. If you post the log file (or a link to it) here on the forum, some experts might be able to help.

What CAN happen is because the drone is kept close then RTH if used will auto land where it is instead of coming home. If its within 60ft it'll land where it is. The manual says this but most people cant be bothered to read the manual.

Cannot emphasize this enough! Always(!) keep the mentioned distance to water as it CAN land in the water on RTH.

Are you sure you seated your battery with TWO CLICKS? Having that come loose will drop it like a rock... I find it is very easy to dislodge one side, and takes both hands to squeeze down on the battery to have it click in place as needed.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
During my learning time... In beginner mode... I was far away from bushes and water.... On a flat dry area.

If you fly over water or bushes , especially as a newbie pilot, get ready for crashes into water and bushes.

This. It may be tough to find in LA, but a wide open field or any open area with no trees, light poles, power lines, etc.

Of all of these, trees are the most dangerous. They look slow, but when they see a drone they pounce.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair