DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Behold! The Only Extant Mini-2 With Arc X Strobe Power!

Chaosrider

Reactions
What, you say there's no Arc X strobe?

But there is, if you're willing to take it in two pieces!

The Arc V "on the butt" is great for keeping VLOS when it's flying away from you but is...substantially less helpful...when you turn around to come home. I got the Firehouse belly-mount set-up to see if it will help with that.

Now, all I need is some decent weather to test it!

This is Phoenix, and he's my "VLOS Test Bed" Mini-2. He was the first one to get the Arc V, and now, he has the Arc X!

Can the Arc XX be far behind? Add one red and one green Arc V on each side, in proper aircraft positions? First I'll have to see how much, if any, the Arc X configuration degrades the performance.

Can you imagine what the Arc XX would look like on a dark night? I'm thinking of making my own UFO footage...which will be convincing, because the craft will be real, and really moving in those weird ways!

1650579735471.png

MM...F...

look forward to your test flight, a lot of weight on the back end there.
Regards

Velco and elastic bands are wonderful things. They weigh little but can hold a lot. The Arc V is a wonderful strobe, but a little on the heavy side compared to others. What I tend to do with both of my drones is mount an ARC V (or sometimes an ARC II on the Mini 2) on the bottom. Depending on the drone I can put red and green strobes on the front arms, or alternately front and rear. The F/R configuration helps a bit with balance, I think, though on my M2P I usually have r/g on the front arms and a clear Arc V on the bottom. It seems to me that the belly mount is a little much for the Mini 2... but that's just me.

…The Arc V "on the butt" is great for keeping VLOS when it's flying away from you but is...substantially less helpful...when you turn around to come home. I got the Firehouse belly-mount set-up to see if it will help with that...
Why turn around to fly home? I have an aft mounting point for a Firehouse Dual on a Mini 2… if I’m concerned about losing orientation I’ll just fly backwards, strobe towards me, until I’m confident of orientation.

look forward to your test flight, a lot of weight on the back end there.
Regards
It should be fine. I've been flying with the strobe-on-the-butt configuration for most of a year, on several drones, and never had a problem.

The new addition is the belly-mount Arc V. It's pretty close to the CG, so it shouldn't make any balance difference. The additional 13 g of weight will probably impact performance a bit, but that's what tests are for!

I'll report back!

:cool:

MM...FP..?

Reactions: Gagey52
One problem. Strobes are more for others in the air to see your drone. Having the strobe on the belly or butt does not do that. I'd move the one on the but to the top. Just sayin'

Velco and elastic bands are wonderful things. They weigh little but can hold a lot. The Arc V is a wonderful strobe, but a little on the heavy side compared to others. What I tend to do with both of my drones is mount an ARC V (or sometimes an ARC II on the Mini 2) on the bottom. Depending on the drone I can put red and green strobes on the front arms, or alternately front and rear. The F/R configuration helps a bit with balance, I think, though on my M2P I usually have r/g on the front arms and a clear Arc V on the bottom. It seems to me that the belly mount is a little much for the Mini 2... but that's just me.
I use 3M double sided tape. Once I put a strobe on, I don't take it off!

I was worried about blocking the air vents with a belly-mount until Firehouse came out with their kit. I wanted to put one on the belly to make it easier to see when I'm descending from a high altitude.

I'm not sure where I'd put the side strobes on the Mini-2. I'm thinking on the fuselage, since I never fold the legs. That would minimize the disruption to the aircraft balance.

But the Arc X test comes first!

MM...FP..?

Why turn around to fly home? I have an aft mounting point for a Firehouse Dual on a Mini 2… if I’m concerned about losing orientation I’ll just fly backwards, strobe towards me, until I’m confident of orientation.
Yeah, I've done that, and it works OK.

But ever since I started riding/being the drone as my point of reference, I prefer to see where I'm going!

1650635210656.png

MM...FP..?

This is a neat concept for a newbie. Thanks I haven't thought of putting a light on a mini 2. I send mine out on a straight street and lost sight after 700 feet, it got so small. I thought about using a pair of binoculars and was told that wasn't a correct VLOS. The VLOS should really be improved.

I was worried about blocking the air vents with a belly-mount until Firehouse came out with their kit. I wanted to put one on the belly to make it easier to see when I'm descending from a high altitude.

I'm not sure where I'd put the side strobes on the Mini-2. I'm thinking on the fuselage, since I never fold the legs. That would minimize the disruption to the aircraft balance.

MM...FP..?
GOOD velcro is a wonderful thing.
As you can see a little creative cutting can create a nice, well placed surface to mount a strobe on the bottom, without adding the bulk of a plastic mount. It is completely away from the vents. The only thing is that I have to start the Mini 2 before applying the strobe. No big deal because I "park" the strobe on top until I want to move it to the bottom. You will also see small R/G strobes attached to the arms of the Mini 2, but I have since elected to go to a Red/front, Green/rear configuration, I find the front/rear orientation better to spot which direction the drone is pointed.

In the second photo is my Mavic 2 Pro, similarily outfitted on the bottom (no switch there and I have R/G Arc V's on the front arms, attached by both velcro and cheap elastic bands. The M2P's power allows the strobes to be more forward without affecting handlling, with only minor balance changes, as the M2p weighs 900 grams and is very powerful.

As you can see, I have a selection of strobes I can use for whatever situation. For $15 I've become fond of the Vifly strobe, which is probably as bright as the ARC II, but I can select, clear, red or green and the strobe frequency as I wish. You should also note, that I have leg extensions on both my drones. It helps maintain clearance for the bottom strobe as well as keeping the prop blades clear of any grass, should I have no other patch of land to launch and land. Also, at night I'll add a top strobe so that aircraft can spot my drone from above. The bottom strobe is for me to keep track of my drones when I'm standing on land and would not be able to clearly see the top strobe. I have a "headlight" mount for the times when I need a forward facing strobe.

IMG-3582.JPGstrobes_M2P.jpgStrobe size comparison.jpg

Arc_headlight.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    957.3 KB · Views: 8
One problem. Strobes are more for others in the air to see your drone. Having the strobe on the belly or butt does not do that. I'd move the one on the but to the top. Just sayin'
That's the justification for the FAA requirement for a strobe for flying at night, which I think is a good requirement.

But my purpose for strobes is to enhance my ability to see it. That's why Phoenix's "sub-title" is "VLOS Test Bed"!

I think the risk of drones colliding with manned aircraft is vastly overrated.

Thx,

MM...FP..?

MM...FP..?
Thinking about the Arc XX made me wonder...what's the practical payload capability of the Mini-2?

If I load Phoenix down with four Arc Vs, that would be 52 grams of added weight, a substantial fraction of the 250 g "empty weight".

Is that a viable payload?

Thx,

MM...FP..?

That's the justification for the FAA requirement for a strobe for flying at night, which I think is a good requirement.

But my purpose for strobes is to enhance my ability to see it. That's why Phoenix's "sub-title" is "VLOS Test Bed"!

I think the risk of drones colliding with manned aircraft is vastly overrated.

Thx,

MM...FP..?

Absolutely right. If you're flying properly, in most situations you won't be flying in airspace where mannned flights exist. But it can happen. I think the FAA's anti-collision strobe mandate is essential.

Thinking about the Arc XX made me wonder...what's the practical payload capability of the Mini-2?

If I load Phoenix down with four Arc Vs, that would be 52 grams of added weight, a substantial fraction of the 250 g "empty weight".

Is that a viable payload?

Thx,

MM...FP..?
As you might ascertain from my photos above, the Mini 2 can easily take another 50 grams+ into the air with no issues. I almost never fly without 3 strobes and leg extensions, plus a lens hood. The extra weight will reduces some of the battery longevity, so weight and balance could come into play if you're planning a long distance flight where maximum battery life is essential.

This is a neat concept for a newbie. Thanks I haven't thought of putting a light on a mini 2. I send mine out on a straight street and lost sight after 700 feet, it got so small. I thought about using a pair of binoculars and was told that wasn't a correct VLOS. The VLOS should really be improved.
You will find that putting a strobe on a Mini-2 is transformational in terms of being able to maintain VLOS, and at least as important, to be able to reacquire VLOS when you do lose it.

If you put a Firehouse Arc V on the butt of your Mini-2 (back of the battery cover), you'll be able to see it way farther than 700 ft! Even the basic Arc would make a big difference, and the Arc V isn't cheap, at 35 bucks a pop. Worth it in my view, though.

And, if you want to determine the orientation of the aircraft visually, rather than using the instruments, just park it in place wherever it is, and rotate it 360º. When the strobe is at its brightest, then the drone is pointing directly away from you.

Different people have different views about which strobes are the best. I've got Firehouse strobes on all my Minis, and I like them a lot.

Try it...you'll like it!

1650642814447.png

MM...FP..?

GOOD velcro is a wonderful thing.
As you can see a little creative cutting can create a nice, well placed surface to mount a strobe on the bottom, without adding the bulk of a plastic mount. It is completely away from the vents. The only thing is that I have to start the Mini 2 before applying the strobe. No big deal because I "park" the strobe on top until I want to move it to the bottom. You will also see small R/G strobes attached to the arms of the Mini 2, but I have since elected to go to a Red/front, Green/rear configuration, I find the front/rear orientation better to spot which direction the drone is pointed.

In the second photo is my Mavic 2 Pro, similarily outfitted on the bottom (no switch there and I have R/G Arc V's on the front arms, attached by both velcro and cheap elastic bands. The M2P's power allows the strobes to be more forward without affecting handlling, with only minor balance changes, as the M2p weighs 900 grams and is very powerful.

As you can see, I have a selection of strobes I can use for whatever situation. For $15 I've become fond of the Vifly strobe, which is probably as bright as the ARC II, but I can select, clear, red or green and the strobe frequency as I wish. You should also note, that I have leg extensions on both my drones. It helps maintain clearance for the bottom strobe as well as keeping the prop blades clear of any grass, should I have no other patch of land to launch and land. Also, at night I'll add a top strobe so that aircraft can spot my drone from above. The bottom strobe is for me to keep track of my drones when I'm standing on land and would not be able to clearly see the top strobe. I have a "headlight" mount for the times when I need a forward facing strobe.

View attachment 147098View attachment 147104View attachment 147106

View attachment 147107
I guess I'm not the only one who thinks lots of strobes are cool! Thanks for the pics of the various strobes. I originally got a 4-pack of the Arc IIs, and they made a huge difference in VLOS compared to no strobe. But I wanted more, so I got an Arc V which I put on Phoenix in place of the original Arc II. Another Giant Leap for StrobeKind, and another big increase in VLOS.

Now I'm just taking it to the next level with my Arc X configuration. We're supposed to get decent weather starting Sunday, so I should know more then.

The only thing is that I have to start the Mini 2 before applying the strobe.
My newly formalized checklist starts DJI Fly first, then the drone, then the RC. After it does any necessary updates, I turn on the strobe, and take it out to fly.

My most frequent pilot error in terms of my pre-flight checklist is to forget to turn the camera on! Now, I push the Take-off button in Fly, turn on the camera, and then do the actual launch. Problem solved!
You should also note, that I have leg extensions on both my drones. It helps maintain clearance for the bottom strobe as well as keeping the prop blades clear of any grass, should I have no other patch of land to launch and land.
I bought a pair of leg extensions, but I haven't put them on one of the Mini's yet. The Firehouse belly-mount is good for increasing ground clearance, but it seems a bit wobbly on its feet. I hope that Firehouse (or somebody) comes up with an Arc V belly mount for the Minis that attaches the strobe to proper leg extensions, rather the current fixture.

Thx!

1650643695226.png

MM...FP..?

I bought a pair of leg extensions, but I haven't put them on one of the Mini's yet. The Firehouse belly-mount is good for increasing ground clearance, but it seems a bit wobbly on its feet. I hope that Firehouse (or somebody) comes up with an Arc V belly mount for the Minis that attaches the strobe to proper leg extensions, rather the current fixture.

Thx!

View attachment 147115

MM...FP..?
Well... It may be important to note that the ARC V's weigh 14 grams. Do I really want to add a plastic mount with more weight when a strip of velco, wherever it can go will do the same job?

However, it might be important to note that the velcro that comes from Firehouse works well initially but wears out fast. Sadly I lost a strobe due to worn velcro. I think something like this from 3m would be better than velco, but I have some heavy duty velcro which works well. 3M Dual lock reclosable fasteners Also, I have some elastic bands for about $3 which are great for mounting strobes on the arms (though I use elastic and velcro just to be sure). Elastic bands

Well... It may be important to note that the ARC V's weigh 14 grams. Do I really want to add a plastic mount with more weight when a strip of velco, wherever it can go will do the same job?
I saw 13 g when I went to look it up, but close enough. Velcro can be useful, if you want to take the strobe off-and-on, but I don't. And a real mount is just way cooler!

However, it might be important to note that the velcro that comes from Firehouse works well initially but wears out fast.
I've been using the 3M double-sided tape that Firehouse sends. Works good! The only time one has ever come off in flight was when I whacked a Mini-2 into an extended awning on the rear flight deck, during my early training.

It was a slow motion horror. This was very early in my droning days, I had not yet shifted to being the drone as my reference orientation, and I zigged when I should have zagged, due to the reverse flying condition I was in.

Whack! Right into the awning, and the bird (Defiant) fell out of the sky in pieces on the deck. I figured it was Care Refresh time for sure.

But wait! It looked fragmented after the impact, but in reality there were just three separate pieces...the drone, the strobe, and the prop that I had busted.

I replaced the busted prop, and Defiant flew again without any further repair needed. The strobe, however...it wouldn't turn off anymore. As long as it had power, one of the lights was on at all times, at low power, even with the switch off. Very weird.

I wasn't going to let a strobe with a rogue power path fly again, but out of morbid curiosity, I charged it up, and just let it sit, to see how long that one light would stay on at low power.

It lasted about 4 days...

1650648844880.png

MM...FP..?

You're right - no assistive devices (binoculars) are allowed for VLOS.

Is that how you're avoiding getting the strobes in your footage?
No. The strobe only show should the the light be reflecting off close fog, rain drops or snow flakes. or reflecting off of windows or shiny objects. The lens hood helps protect the Mini from head on crashes, protecting the gimbal. It's done it's job a few time. I do recommend that too for Minis. I've not had good luck with a lens hood on my Mavic 2P.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest