DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bent gimbal after unexpected drop from sky

ANARCHY_85

Reactions
Hi people! So I was taking off w my M2Pro and it was up 20-30 feet then the props stopped unexpectedly and gravity took over. It snapped the landing “legs,” and I’m pretty sure the gimbal is bent too. I was able to get the landing gear patched up to an acceptable level, but the camera was sideways when I tried to fly it afterwards. Initially upon crashing the camera was stuck facing backwards and I was able to get it back front facing by carefully rotating it back. Upon closer inspection the gimbal arm is bent which likely explains the slant, however it also is reading overloaded. I attempted to remove some of the housing and misplaced some of those **** tiny screws. What do u guys think this will take to get repaired? Is the repair/ replacement relatively straightforward provided I keep track of screws when the parts come in? Would it be better to have a DJI repair center instead of self install? Sorry for the rant, just been one of those days.

Rob H

Welcome to the forum from SoCal.. sorry about your "incident" I would probably send it to DJI but there are others on the forum who'll be able to help you with a repair, I'm sure. Best of luck!

Reactions: ANARCHY_85
Work in a tray or over a table top so as to not loose the screws. Alternatively get a strong magnet with which to sweep the floor, they are very handy.

The problem you face is that getting a replacement yaw arm may be difficult. I can't find one at the moment on the www, I found a zoom arm but I doubt they are the same. Also the roll and yaw motors are built into the arm. Have a look at the following video around the 21 minute mark

I have stripped a knackered M2P gimbal and couldn't see a way of removing the motors from the yaw arm.
Working with them is fiddly, very fiddly in places but providing you have the correct screwdrivers and keep your cool it is not difficult.

A replacement arm with motors may need calibrating, have a look at Mavic 2 gimbal repair and calibration
The procedure with python looks fairly routine but I have not gone through the calibration video to see how well it worked.

I suggest you post photos of the arm so that we can see how bent it is. It might be straightenable if you have the tools but that is not guaranteed, not even in the slightest and it may snap.
I would also suggest you strip the gimbal and look for damage to travel limiting stops, you'd need to work out what acts as the stops as you dismantle the gimbal. From memory the pitch limiters are a projection or projections on the bearing insert and corresponding slot/s but I can not remember what the roll and yaw limiters were.
Though thinking about the yaw I'd be inclined to check whether or not screws have been pulled through the plastic of the gimbal carrier, (the thing with rubber dampers on and the gold coloured cap.)

As to whether to send it to a repairer or DJI themselves, hmmmmm, you pays your money and takes your choice. With DJI I imagine you will get a replacement drone rather than them actually repairing your drone, they'd probably repair the damaged drone later and at their convenience. A repairer may have to actually repair the gimbal.

However BEFORE ANY OF THIS HAPPENS I would suggest you find out WHY the drone fell from the air in the first place.
Have a look at the instructions for retrieving logs on the following page, DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Upload the log to that page and then post, here, the resulting link. If your controller is an RC1A there should, in the folder where you found the txt flight log, another folder whose name starts "MCDat". In that 2nd folder you should find a corresponding DAT flight log. It might be useful to post that too but post that here, not via Phantomhelp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Work in a tray or over a table top so as to not loose the screws. Alternatively get a strong magnet with which to sweep the floor, they are very handy.

The problem you face is that getting a replacement yaw arm may be difficult. I can't find one at the moment on the www, I found a zoom arm but I doubt they are the same. Also the roll and yaw motors are built into the arm. Have a look at the following video around the 21 minute mark

I have stripped a knackered M2P gimbal and couldn't see a way of removing the motors from the yaw arm.
Working with them is fiddly, very fiddly, in places but providing you have the correct screwdrivers and keep your cool it is not difficult.

A replacement arm with motors may need calibrating, have a look at Mavic 2 gimbal repair and calibration
The procedure with python looks fairly routine but I have not gone through the calibration video to see how well it worked.

I suggest you post photos of the arm so that we can see how bent it is. It might be straightenable if you have the tools but that is not guaranteed, not even in the slightest and it may snap.
I would also suggest you strip the gimbal and look for damage to travel limiting stops, you'd need to work out what acts as the stops as you dismantle the gimbal. From memory the pitch limiters are a projection or projections on the bearing insert and corresponding slot/s but I can not remember what the roll and yaw limiters were.
Though thinking about the yaw I'd be inclined to check whether or not screws have been pulled through the plastic of the gimbal carrier, (the thing with rubber dampers on and the gold coloured cap.)

As to whether to send it to a repairer or DJI themselves, hmmmmm, you pays your money and takes your choice. With DJI I imagine you will get a replacement drone rather than them actually repairing your drone, they probably repair the damaged drone later and at their convenience. A repairer may have to actually repair the gimbal.

However BEFORE ANY OF THIS HAPPENS I would suggest you find out WHY the drone fell from the air in the first place.
Have a look at the instructions for retrieving logs on the following page, DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Upload the log to that page and then post, here, the resulting link. If your controller is an RC1A there should, in the folder where you found the txt flight log, another folder whose name starts "MCDat". In that 2nd folder you should find a corresponding DAT flight log. It might be useful to post that too but post that here, not via Phantomhelp.
Wow that’s very detailed and I’ll check that link regarding the flight logs soon. I may have inadvertently hit the emergency prop shutoff accidentally. I have a lanyard attached to my SC and had it dangling from my neck. I recall being distracted then hearing the buzz of the props stop, but I agree check it out. Seemed to be a sudden power failure, surely rather avoid it in the future lol. I’ll post some pics for the homies, thanks for such a legit helpful and considerate response.

So I’ll post pics from angles hopefully that helps. If I miss any angles or whatnot lmk. I’ll get the logs when I get home tonight along w the pics. Regards
Rob TX, USA (Earth)

I may have inadvertently hit the emergency prop shutoff accidentally
I think that is unlikely.
Unless you changed the response to the CSC position from the default it is, I believe, effectively disabled. Besides the CSC position would have the drone doing some crazy antics. Full descent, full reverse, full yaw rate and full sideways, combined that generates a descending helix.

Here’s some pictures. Not too sure what y’all think on this. I can contact DJI, however my last experience w them was less than stellar as my FPV took 10 months to get repaired😳. Thanks again everyone

Attachments

• A2FA1124-7900-434D-8537-57300DF0D81C.jpeg
    A2FA1124-7900-434D-8537-57300DF0D81C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 73426036-0AA3-42EE-B543-12B8116AD123.jpeg
    73426036-0AA3-42EE-B543-12B8116AD123.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DECBB821-C4DB-46E3-B378-5A14BD87A989.jpeg
    DECBB821-C4DB-46E3-B378-5A14BD87A989.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 26DC9369-5CDE-4773-8699-607A108AFDB9.jpeg
    26DC9369-5CDE-4773-8699-607A108AFDB9.jpeg