DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best 3 manouvres for videoing a wedding

Bebopperoo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hi all, a friend has asked me to video her wedding with my drones this Saturday. Unfortunately,i don't know what I'm doing. I have a few years flying, with about 1000 hours logged, and have the Mavic pro, zoom, even the tello. Also, the bebop 2 power, as well as the spark.
They all have some auto shots, but i would be grateful if the more serious minded and skillful pilots could suggest what their 3 best video, or photo, manouvres are, so i can appear to have some clue of what to do. Thanks

Reactions: benny01
First off don't do any flying during the actual ceremony. People can't help themselves but to look up, stare and point at the DRONE! Tell them you will fly before and after the ceremony as to keep the FULL attention on the Bride/Groom.

First off don't do any flying during the actual ceremony. People can't help themselves but to look up, stare and point at the DRONE! Tell them you will fly before and after the ceremony as to keep the FULL attention on the Bride/Groom.

How loosely do you interpret the 107.39? Does the FAA only consider it flying over people if you are directly above them? What about a 10' horizontal buffer?

How loosely do you interpret the 107.39? Does the FAA only consider it flying over people if you are directly above them? What about a 10' horizontal buffer?

Over is over. If the aircraft is physically over even their big toe you're OVER them.

In terms of the "Buffer"... even if you have a 100' buffer Zone and there is an incident where the UAS strikes a person you didn't mitigate the risks fully.

In reference to a Wedding flying directly over people is a very boring video/picture so it really isn't an issue. People aren't very attractive from the top down to begin with. Obliques are much better but straight on (Ground Shots) are even better.

It's important to realize that sometimes the UAS/Drone isn't the best camera platform for certain instances and this is one of them. It's good as an Add-On but the majority of the images/video should be ground based IMHO.

Over is over. If the aircraft is physically over even their big toe you're OVER them.

In terms of the "Buffer"... even if you have a 100' buffer Zone and there is an incident where the UAS strikes a person you didn't mitigate the risks fully.

In reference to a Wedding flying directly over people is a very boring video/picture so it really isn't an issue. People aren't very attractive from the top down to begin with. Obliques are much better but straight on (Ground Shots) are even better.

It's important to realize that sometimes the UAS/Drone isn't the best camera platform for certain instances and this is one of them. It's good as an Add-On but the majority of the images/video should be ground based IMHO.

I do want to start adding drone coverage to my wedding photography, I'm just worried if I post any photos online I'll get the local trolls commenting "you cant fly over people im going to report you!!". I've seen that happen a lot in local photographer groups I'm in.

It's just that the FAA doesn't really detail what exactly "over people" means.

I would interpret it as, directly over. In other words, if there was 0 wind and 0 air resistance (in a vacuum) and the drone fell straight down via gravity, it would hit someone.

I do want to start adding drone coverage to my wedding photography, I'm just worried if I post any photos online I'll get the local trolls commenting "you cant fly over people im going to report you!!". I've seen that happen a lot in local photographer groups I'm in.
As for someone who has reported someone else and who has BEEN reported it's ok. You get a phone call, possible meeting, and you get an educational opportunity (probably at your expense but the # of hours depends on the severity of the infraction). As long as there isn't an incident or repeat offenses you'll most likely get a "Teaching Moment" and some paperwork to sign.

It's just that the FAA doesn't really detail what exactly "over people" means.

I would interpret it as, directly over. In other words, if there was 0 wind and 0 air resistance (in a vacuum) and the drone fell straight down via gravity, it would hit someone.

Well they kind of do....

In Section 107.39, Operations Over Human Beings, what does "over people" mean?

The term "over" refers to the flight of the small unmanned aircraft directly over any part of a person. For example, a small UAS that hovers directly over a person's head, shoulders, or extended arms or legs would be an operation over people. Similarly, if a person is lying down, for example at a beach, an operation over that person's torso or toes would also constitute an operation over people. An operation during which a small UAS flies over any part of any person, regardless of the dwell time, if any, over the person, would be an operation over people.

And like I said before... even if you aren't directly OVER and there is an incident that involves UAS hitting a person you're still on the hook for it.

Well they kind of do....

In Section 107.39, Operations Over Human Beings, what does "over people" mean?

The term "over" refers to the flight of the small unmanned aircraft directly over any part of a person. For example, a small UAS that hovers directly over a person's head, shoulders, or extended arms or legs would be an operation over people. Similarly, if a person is lying down, for example at a beach, an operation over that person's torso or toes would also constitute an operation over people. An operation during which a small UAS flies over any part of any person, regardless of the dwell time, if any, over the person, would be an operation over people.

Al, that's awesome, thanks for sharing that. Is that new? I remember when I first thought about adding drone coverage for weddings 2 tears ago, there was no info out there at all about what "flying over" people meant. But now, it seems they spell it out pretty clearly.

Seems, my interpretation is correct. The drone has to actually be above the person (in other words, it could be launched from on top of their head) to qualify as "over person", vs. if you were to launch it straight up from 3 ft in front of them on the ground.

Reactions: BigAl07
Al, that's awesome, thanks for sharing that. Is that new? I remember when I first thought about adding drone coverage for weddings 2 tears ago, there was no info out there at all about what "flying over" people meant. But now, it seems they spell it out pretty clearly.

Seems, my interpretation is correct. The drone has to actually be above the person (in other words, it could be launched from on top of their head) to qualify as "over person", vs. if you were to launch it straight up from 3 ft in front of them on the ground.

Thumbswayup
Yep imagine a steel cable hanging straight down from the drone touching the ground. If the cable touches a person even in the slightest you're in violation of 107.39.

Reactions: Gindra
Hi all, a friend has asked me to video her wedding with my drones this Saturday. Unfortunately,i don't know what I'm doing. I have a few years flying, with about 1000 hours logged, and have the Mavic pro, zoom, even the tello. Also, the bebop 2 power, as well as the spark.
They all have some auto shots, but i would be grateful if the more serious minded and skillful pilots could suggest what their 3 best video, or photo, manouvres are, so i can appear to have some clue of what to do. Thanks
you must follow the drone code. in the uk , I should be 50m or more from people and structures, this would not make a very interesting video footage. you could get a device to turn your drone into a steady cam. now that is interesting and you would not have to fly or have the rotor going round. I did use this at a networking event . it was very effective

this is what I got using the drone as a video camera

Reactions: Bebopperoo
personally I wouldn't try it at a wedding, there are far too many factors out of your control. eg kids running about, obstacles and the noise of the drone, also there will be no sound , unless its recorded separately , then you will have to sync it to the video footage . you could be making a rod for your own back. but that's just my opinion

Thanks for the wise words. I will be showing her this thread so she can see I'm not trying to get out of it.
The steady cam idea is excellent, as it doesn't even seem to draw attention, and sound can be picked up on my phone.
Our regs are the most repressive in the world, with a 50 m distance required (can this be calculated diagonally, i.e. a direct line from drone to person?
I was explaining that i would need 3 drones airborne during the ceremony, and they would have to be within 2 metres to get detail, but she liked the idea,..., i think.
Thanks for pointing out all the legal points, as well as reminding that a drone wiping out a guest would certainly make it as memorable wedding!

In Australia it is very clear. 30m horizontally from any one not involved in the filming. That is a 30m cylinder not a sphere.

The drone flying at 2m will be nosy, and distracting , and it’s against the code

Last edited:
I would concentrate on getting great group shot still with the drone including panoramas. Keith

Assemble the wedding party before the wedding starts and get a good group shot. If they all consent to having a drone shot you won’t be in violation. You will need to be above and relatively close to make this effective.

If the surroundings permit use the built-in boomerang feature to capture a more dynamic video of the group. Keep in mind that boomerang needs plenty of space. With drones that don’t have side sensors, e.g. Magic Air, you need to carefully assess potential obstacles. If you are new to flying your drone go out and practice first.

Good luck!

if your going to video a wedding use a proper video camera , use a tripod if you want high shots, it will be less of a headache

Thanks for the wise words. I will be showing her this thread so she can see I'm not trying to get out of it.
The steady cam idea is excellent, as it doesn't even seem to draw attention, and sound can be picked up on my phone.
Our regs are the most repressive in the world, with a 50 m distance required (can this be calculated diagonally, i.e. a direct line from drone to person?
I was explaining that i would need 3 drones airborne during the ceremony, and they would have to be within 2 metres to get detail, but she liked the idea,..., i think.
Thanks for pointing out all the legal points, as well as reminding that a drone wiping out a guest would certainly make it as memorable wedding!
There are always children at a wedding and think if something went wrong and your drone went off on its own and hit a child in the face and took out an eye! Or hitting anyone and that happening, what sort of wedding memories would that leave with everyone at that wedding and how could you live with yourself after doing that to a person, just because the bride wanted some cool shots?

I shot weddings for years as a still camera man, not drones, and I have seen all sorts of things happen that you would never dream could happen, so I know from experience that nothing is safe and secure at a wedding. You say she wanted something about 2m away for detail, so think about this, which we have done for year in the past with still cameras shooting video. You mount your drone on a long pole, you can get long and strong collapsible poles from home depot, used for high ceiling cleaning, painting or light bulb changing.

You may have to come up with your own attachment method, but the beauty of the drone use with the pole is that you can also control the camera movement, which we could never do with a still camera fixed to the end. So now you can lower and raise that pole to get great view points, plus move the camera independently to the drone fixed position. That way you can get low down level shots and move right up high and get a shot looking down in the same video roll. Now you have the best of both worlds without any risk to anyone.

We used to re-enact the ring exchange with close up photography because you can't, of course, get that close during the ceremony and can often not see the rings at all, because the bride and groom have their hands covering the ring when they put them on. You can do that with the priest or officiant, after the ceremony and get some great shots, without the need to show the guests seated in the back ground. This added to the rest of the ceremony shot by the still or video ground based photographer will give her what she wants without any risk. And no one will know that the drone was not actually flying during the filming.

When you put your mind to it, you can get really creative with shots using a drone on a pole for the times you want that high vantage point coupled with a low close in shot of a person or group of people and have complete safety. Just image the horror of a drone going out of control in flight and cutting into someone's face during the wedding. Everything would have to come to a stop, the medics called and that would be the end of the wedding right then and there. Would you want that risk and responsibility on your shoulders and possible blame for an injury, forever following you around, just because a bride wanted a special angle with a drone?

Assemble the wedding party before the wedding starts and get a good group shot. If they all consent to having a drone shot you won’t be in violation. You will need to be above and relatively close to make this effective.

Absolutely and 100% WRONG and a direct violation of ~107.39

People can not CONSENT to you breaking a federal regulation. They can sign papers, make promises, pinky swears and everything else but only the FAA can "Waiver" the restriction of Flights Over People (~107.39)

Please don't spread this bad information around! Someone might mistakenly believe it and unknowingly get into hot water over it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair