DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best, affordable ND filters?

Loylzeus

Reactions
Hey fellow pilots,

PGYTECH, Original DJI, POLARPRO SUNNYLIFE, Y&C and many more...

anyone has the best advice on which brand ND filter is the best and most affordable?

i’ve heard good stuff about the polar pro, but i’m considering PGYTECH or Sunnylife cause it’s a 6 pc set and at my area..

and what is your take on ND filters? is it a need? with the in app filters?

appreciate the inputs!

So, I just took a chance on a set of 6 ND ND/PL filters by Neewer. Super cheap, and decent reviews. I will test them and report back. Im no expert, and have nothing to compare them to but, im sure they are better than nothing.

I have been using the Polar Pro sets for nearly a year now. Started with the original PP sets then got the later Cine Series. Pretty much leave the ND8 on the Mavic all the time as it seems to be a great fit for the conditions I film in.
If I'm going to be shooting over water at a certain angle I will fit the CP for a much clearer image of the water.
In my opinion, they are a must have. If used appropriately they will enhance your shots, something post editing cannot do all of the time, particularly in regards to polarization.

Reactions: Loylzeus
As a photographer my take would be as long as they are glass they should be good.
I did a quick test on my Polar Pro's that I just got and they seemed to be OK. A little loose with the labeling in that D filters are usually called by WHAT they do; ND4 drops 4 stops, ND8 drops 8 stops etc.
My 'quick' test revealed the PP register thus; ND4 drops 3, ND8 drops 5 and ND16 drops 6.
But, they do work just fine regardless of the labels. What I do enjoy about them is that both polarizer and ND are all on the same lens.

Test = Sekonic Digi-Spot L-488 on 1* spot setting metering sun reflection off concrete drive @ iso1000

I like the Freewell. Their 6 pack includes both ND and PL glass filters in a nicely padded case which slides down into the Mavic bag alongside the controller. They are high quality, and less than $100. They may be left in place while calibrating or initializing, and they fit under the gimbal lock/protector.

What more can you ask?

I have Skyreat, love them and they don't interfere with the gimbal start dance.

I like the Freewell.

Those are the ones I went with as well. I love them, perfect fit (tight but not too tight), and no visible defects I can find. No gimble issues either with weight or hitting anything.

I'd suggest any filter kit go up to ND32, I thought ND 16 might be enough but for very sunny days flying over some environments I was wrong.

As a photographer my take would be as long as they are glass they should be good.
I did a quick test on my Polar Pro's that I just got and they seemed to be OK. A little loose with the labeling in that D filters are usually called by WHAT they do; ND4 drops 4 stops, ND8 drops 8 stops etc.
My 'quick' test revealed the PP register thus; ND4 drops 3, ND8 drops 5 and ND16 drops 6.
But, they do work just fine regardless of the labels. What I do enjoy about them is that both polarizer and ND are all on the same lens.

Test = Sekonic Digi-Spot L-488 on 1* spot setting metering sun reflection off concrete drive @ iso1000

I have been a photographer for 54-years and I would respectfully disagree with your assumption regarding the labeling of the ND filters and the number of stops they represent. Following is the correct information:
  • ND4 drops 2 stops
  • ND8 drops 3 stops
  • ND16 drops 4 stops
  • ND32 drops 5 stops
  • ND64 drops 6 stops
Also, a more accurate test of an ND filter's stop reduction would involve using a gray card as the source of reflected light to be measured with your light meter. There is also a reduction in light due to the polarizing characteristics of the filter but a single element polarizer (linear polarizer) like the PolarPro does not block as much light as a dual-element one (circular polarizer).

Below is a convenient ND table.

ND Filter Guide.jpg

Last edited:
I just received the new DJI round filters and I'm very impressed! I have the Polar Pros, the Neewers, and the old DJI units. These blow them away. They look similar to the others but on closer inspection, you see that the side wall is thinner and the things weigh next to nothing. They aren't expensive AND as a DJI product, they don't void your warranty. I made sure I bought them from DJI in fact. Oh and for what it's worth, they have the best case as well! Btw I have no idea what I did with my Polar Pros but full disclosure, I got the first gen units that interfered with the gimbal calibration. I'm sure the new ones are better.15138295964491602451599.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada