DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best app for "follow me"

Jim_bo

Reactions
The Mavic is a modern marvel as far as I'm concerned, but it is really weak when it comes to following the operator. The active track basically is useless. It always loses track and there is a max flight distance if using wifi.

The ideal app would allow a user to get the Mavic in the air via wifi (cell phone) and initiate a tracking mode. The Mavic would then follow, correcting altitude for when the target goes up and down hills. This would make things like mountain biking and the Mavic more compatible.

As far as I know, there may be an amazing app out there that does exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone can help, I'm all ears.

Reactions: jthjr
If you're wanting to do this on wifi without the controller, you're talking about a technology limit not a software or app limit.

Reactions: Budmancan
No there is no magic app that will do what you want and there wont be with the current generation of hardware.

The Mavic is a modern marvel as far as I'm concerned, but it is really weak when it comes to following the operator. The active track basically is useless. It always loses track and there is a max flight distance if using wifi.

The ideal app would allow a user to get the Mavic in the air via wifi (cell phone) and initiate a tracking mode. The Mavic would then follow, correcting altitude for when the target goes up and down hills. This would make things like mountain biking and the Mavic more compatible.

As far as I know, there may be an amazing app out there that does exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone can help, I'm all ears.

Autopilot with Airspace
Flight School - Hangar
Use Airspace device with cell, gps, and barometer for full altitude tracking.

Doesn't check all of your boxes, i.e. it isn't a standalone app running without additional devices, but it's quite good.

To follow up on my previous post, Litchi Magic Leash it turns out will not follow altitude changes.

However, Litchi on the smart device attached to the RC does account for altitude on the smart device, so in Follow Mode will track 3D (position and altitude) following the RC.

This does require, however, that the smart device have a barometric altimeter. Most smartphones bought int the last 2 years do, except for the absolute cheapest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore