DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best color for in flight visibility? Or High power Led Beacon?

DroneJI

Reactions
I see all kinds of decals and wraps for the Mavic! Because of its size and color I find it hard to spot sometimes when I look down at the RC and try to locate it in the Sky again. What colors stand out better against say Clouds or Blue sky’s? Is one better in both situations (Clouds/Clear blue sky) I know I can probably get a really powerful LED Beacon but that will add weight to it especially if I use a dedicated battery to power it . Is there a led beacon that’s light weight that can be see. In the day? I might consider.

Reactions: droneonandonandon
I use the same two CREE lights for the front, I also have a 3rd triple white LED on the back just above the status LED.

There's a holder for the front two, forget where I got it from, google is your friend for this. The rear triple white is velcro'ed on using 3M double latch velcro.

For visibility in the sky, I think an orange skin work best. I added yellow reflective tape on the rear arms so I could tell which was front or back quickly. The only time this setup was hard to see was in the fall against orange leaves on the trees.

Reactions: JMF
I use strobe lights I bought from Amazon. They are made for bicycles and have a rubber strap to mount on the bottom of each arm. They have 4-5 modes and come with a USB cord to recharge the battery. Light weight and come 2 ok one red and one white. Search bicycle lights in Amazon.

I use strobe lights I bought from Amazon. They are made for bicycles and have a rubber strap to mount on the bottom of each arm. They have 4-5 modes and come with a USB cord to recharge the battery. Light weight and come 2 ok one red and one white. Search bicycle lights in Amazon.

I got something like that from Ace Hardware but the straps are not tight enough I’m afraid the light may turn and hit the props, I’m working on something to secure them better.

For visibility in the sky, I think an orange skin work best. I added yellow reflective tape on the rear arms so I could tell which was front or back quickly. The only time this setup was hard to see was in the fall against orange leaves on the trees.

I agree 100%, my latest skin is bright orange and it looks great in the air.

White would help my Phantom is white and I can see it a lot better than the mavic! It’s odd that the Arctic White is not available on the Platinum mavics? I would have gotten one of those instead of it was a option.

I'm putting strobes on my MPP. Green on the right, red on the left and white on top, hear the tail. The Platinum is beautiful, but the color blends in to the sky very nicely. I'm hoping strobes will help. They certainly do with fixed-wing aircraft - even in daylight.

Another option would be these:

STROBON Cree LED Strobe Light - Phantom Help

Mike also has holders that custom fit to the arms of the Mavic.

Jake

+1 on the Strobon. I have the white and I am much more comfortable flying long distances at night than during the day. It's that bright. Just one on the rear leg is all I need. I also use the holder that Phantom Help sells.

Reactions: lightbg
Eddington - How are you liking the dual cree strobes? I’ve been considering either dual cree strobes or quad cree strobes. I’d prefer the dual since they are a smaller form factor, but it seems like he quad would be visible from even farther away.
How far away can you still see your dual cree strobes?

Hunter orange......... but NOTHING beats flashing strobs
Just like on a full grown aircraft

Eddington - How are you liking the dual cree strobes? I’ve been considering either dual cree strobes or quad cree strobes. I’d prefer the dual since they are a smaller form factor, but it seems like he quad would be visible from even farther away.
How far away can you still see your dual cree strobes?

I'm loving them! Best thing I've gotten related to my drone. Can't recommend them enough.

+1 on the Strobon. I have the white and I am much more comfortable flying long distances at night than during the day. It's that bright. Just one on the rear leg is all I need. I also use the holder that Phantom Help sells.
I would love to have just the M2E Beacon on my M2P, because it looks so professional and well designed.

But of course I could also put those strobon on top of my drone. Is there a case or at best something with a 1/4 thread on its bottom?

Then I could mount it on to a pgytech connector? (https://www.pgy-tech.com/connector-for-mavic-2)

Reactions: calmar81
Nice!! Thank you!

I would like to have just one white strobon with a clear reflection dome over the LED, so that it is visible from all sides. In know you can 3D-Print translucent material. But maybe that is still too expensive.

@Aerial-Pixel is there a chance you try to „copy“ the M2E beacon design an 3d-Print a housing only for one position light? In Germany, you are allowed to fly at night under certain circumstances, and one requirement is, that your AC has a separate light system that is independent from the UAV‘s systems. One strong position light pointing up would be sufficient, I think, but I would like to have a kind of reflective housing above the LED that reflects its light to all sides... just like the DJI beacon. Like I said before: I think the design of it is very good!

I would love to have just the M2E Beacon on my M2P, because it looks so professional and well designed.

But of course I could also put those strobon on top of my drone. Is there a case or at best something with a 1/4 thread on its bottom?

Then I could mount it on to a pgytech connector? (https://www.pgy-tech.com/connector-for-mavic-2)

That is nice, too bad there's not one for the MPP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest