DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best drone flying practice areas around Manhattan, New York City (NYC)

lomposlapos

Reactions
Looking for places where I can fly a drone in peace around New York City for practice purposes (not to photograph anything).
  • Can be up to 1 h driving direction from the city, preferably Long Island direction.
  • No FAA/airspace restrictions other than the US default.
  • No local anti-drone laws of any sort.
  • Area should allow up to 3 km straight-line flight distance.
  • Preferably a sparsely populated diverse landscape features (water, shore, forest, roads, some buildings, etc.)
  • Does NOT have to be scenic at all. It is for practice flying only.

Looking for places where I can fly a drone in peace around New York City for practice purposes (not to photograph anything).
  • Can be up to 1 h driving direction from the city, preferably Long Island direction.
  • No FAA/airspace restrictions other than the US default.
  • No local anti-drone laws of any sort.
  • Area should allow up to 3 km straight-line flight distance.
  • Preferably a sparsely populated diverse landscape features (water, shore, forest, roads, some buildings, etc.)
  • Does NOT have to be scenic at all. It is for practice flying only.
Check out Stillwell Preserve in Long Island, happy flying

Looks good, thank you.

Have you tried the Cold Spring beach area (I am aware of Sagamore Hill National Historic Site) or any other beach place on ether sides of LI? Large body of water would be a plus?

Reactions: projectarjun
Looks good, thank you.

Have you tried the Cold Spring beach area (I am aware of Sagamore Hill National Historic Site) or any other beach place on ether sides of LI? Large body of water would be a plus?
I was thinking about Sagamore Hill National Historic Site at one point but you will likely need a permit since its managed by the US National Park Service. Never go by the videos posted by random people on YouTube as many flights are not permitted in the area. In respect to large body of water, you can try the beaches in the Glen Cove area. I recently flew in Colleran Park in Massapequa; you can get good views of the canals as they make their way into the bay. In a distance you can see Jones Beach, and Robert Moses Bridge crossing. Before you fly, I recommend using B4UFly and KittyHawk apps to make sure you are in the clear. You can PM me if you want to meet up. Check out some of my content in the "Fly With Me" playlist on my YouTube channel (signature). I've been trying to form a LI/NYC Group focused mainly flying in the Long Island area. :)

Procedure Title: Regulating Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Directive: OPR-PCD-018
Effective Date: 01/06/2015

NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP)

Recreational Uses
The recreational flying of toy or model rockets or aircraft (types of UAS) is subject to 9 NYCRR Section 372.7(j) and in the Palisades Region to 9 NYCRR Section 409.1(j). Under these regulations and this procedure, the launching, landing or operation of a UAS for recreational purposes from or on lands and waters administered by OPRHP is an activity that requires an operator to apply for a special UAS permit that shall include conditions outlining the time, place and manner of use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore