DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Mavic for building neighborhood

Darkabaz

Reactions
Hello,
I own a Mavic 2 Zoom and the builder/contractor from the building company me ask me to make photos of the build of a new neighborhood, every day.
Now he told me he doesn't want photos made from a M2Z, because - as he told me - the images are not sharp enough when zoomed in on computer. He said, the sensor size is too small (1 2/3) and he ask me to shoot with a Mavic 2 Pro, because that must be much better than the zoom.
What is the truth? Yes, i receive some money for it and when necesairy i will buy the 2 Pro for sure, but is it really the truth what he told me?
The intention is that more than 1000 photos will be taken and there will be NO editing afterwards.

Thank you so much for any reactions!

By the way, when someone is here who own both drones (zoom/m2p) and there is a compare page with raw photo footage from both, that is very welcome!

• Sad
Reactions: Gallego1
Hello,
I own a Mavic 2 Zoom and the builder/contractor from the building company me ask me to make photos of the build of a new neighborhood, every day.
Now he told me he doesn't want photos made from a M2Z, because - as he told me - the images are not sharp enough when zoomed in on computer. He said, the sensor size is too small (1 2/3) and he ask me to shoot with a Mavic 2 Pro, because that must be much better than the zoom.
What is the truth? Yes, i receive some money for it and when necesairy i will buy the 2 Pro for sure, but is it really the truth what he told me?
The intention is that more than 1000 photos will be taken and there will be NO editing afterwards.

By the way, when someone is here who own both drones (zoom/m2p) and there is a compare page with raw photo footage from both, that is very welcome!
If you really want to you can buy the pro camera by itself and swap it out it's not that hard

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Gallego1
Hello,

It's true that the pro has a 1 inch cmos sensor at 20mega pixels while the zoom has 12 megapixels, but it won't change the detail so much, it will just add more color information. The bigger cmos sensor will just let more light and color in, to get a better looking shot. If he want's low light pics then you would definiitely need a pro. In low light the Pro shines, while the zoom would be a touch more grainy.

If you use the Mav2Zoom and take a panorama or wide angle stitching shot while the zoom is maxed, you will exceed the mega pixel rating of the Pro by multiple factors. The details will be much greater with the zoom, because not only will you be zoomed in to get lossless closer details, you'll be taking several photos and making one big photo. It's like having a 6inch wide CMOS sensor..

Again, IF YOU SHOOT IN PANORAMA or WIDEANGLE, you can make the images much more detailed than the 1inch 4k CMOS sensor in the Mav2pro. The detail in a panorama or wide angle stitching shot is extreme. You're basically taking your smaller cmos sensor and turning it into a massive cmos sensor by taking multiple shots and stitching them all together. It's how NASA takes those incredibly detailed photos of planets. They take a bunch of photos and stitch them together.

Perhaps you should consider taking some wide angle stiched photo's of a zoomed in subject and show the client how detailed the zoom can really get.

Oh, I forgot. The zoom has a photo shooting mode called "SUPER RES". It automatically zooms in to your target and takes several photos creating a hyper detailed image. Much more detailed than a DJI Mav2 pro without zoom.DJI Zoom Super res b.JPG

Last edited:
This is classic example of how the Phantom 4 Pro is still the best Prosumer drone for construction, real estate and inspections. That mechanical shutter can be the difference to the critical eye

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
I know the super res option, amazing feature. But it does not pick 'moving objects' very well. Things like cars and bikes are just a stripe and not sharp. Also the mode is 4:3 and 16:9 would be better to watch on computer display.

I know the super res option, amazing feature. But it does not pick 'moving objects' very well. Things like cars and bikes are just a stripe and not sharp. Also the mode is 4:3 and 16:9 would be better to watch on computer display.
I suppose , since it's and 8k 4:3, it could be cropped to a 16:9. It would still have decent detail. I really don't know what the OP's client really wants or needs though. Anyone good with stitching and or post adjustments can make any picture look great.

I do notice when I take an EVO2 8K and an EVO2 6K photo from 400ft over a neighborhood, I can zoom into more details with the 8K, even though the sensor is smaller. Go figure. It's just that the color depth isn't as good.

Reactions: Darkabaz
What he want is just a lot of photos taken from the air with a altitude between 40-100m. The period of building the street is +/- 3 months. Every day he wants 10/15 HQ photos for his archive.

What he definitely want is when watching on computer, and he is zooming in to - let's say - 150% the image still look a bit sharp and without a lot of noise and unsharpness.
The images from the zoom are - in standard - mode not amazing when watch on pc and zoom in to as example 200%... Maybe he want a thing that is not possible with the consumer drones, thats why i am asking it here. I know for sure there are a lot of professionals here.

So, as i understand it right, in daylight condition the zoom superres photo quality is better than the pro 20mp photos? Is that right?

All good info, and small sensors have improved a lot over the years; although a larger sensor normally has higher pixel density or larger pixels... the Meg size helps determine that too. Either way, both provide an improvement.

Overall, in my experience a larger sensor provides greater detail in the sense of pixel density, size or sensor pixel layout; especially when post work crop. Even going back to film days, a FF negative was a better format than 110 or MFT.

The above would be in addition to the sensor pixel quality, arrangement, and size... which equate to improved image in color, ev, etc. As indicated above as improved color information.

The "superres" is an attempt to stack images, slightly overlapped as 1 image; A skew off the Sony technology; Has value to a degree.

The main difference in M2P & M2Z for detail is aperture. The M2Z had a fixed wide f2.8, the M2P had a f2.8-f11. The images above f5... more towards f11 will be much sharper for construction images and for cropping. The f2.8 even in video provides a softer result, and in Stills it's sharpness varies from center zone to corners.

The P4P 1" sensor is mechanical below 1/2000 second, is exactly the same as the X4S. These are MFT sensors, much larger than the M2P. They provide superior images for construction due to multiple variables, including sensor size.

I suggest M2P at f5 minimal using low ISO and moderate shutter speed; you may need to experiment with ND filters.... probably not.
The smaller aperture will improve detail corner to corner of image providing the requested detail Client can crop. I'd shoot both jpg & raw, the Raw will provide additional data they may desire in Post Work.

As mentioned above, you can purchase a M2P gimbal and swap the camera. The Mavic 2 Firmware will accept either and Go4app features will be per mounted camera. I personally purchased a M2P and a M2Z gimbal back when first released... easy swap and no issues.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I can buy a new mavic 2 pro for 700 euro. Do you guys think it is it worth upgrade for this money compare to my zoom? I have to decide this night because seller is going to emigrate to asia in 2 days.. thank you guys

As far as price, that's a good price for a M2P kit... is this a kit or just M2P craft. Normally in USA.. a kit is in $1600-2000 USD. The 700 euro is about $820. So about 50% of normal cost.

Comes down to your projects and funds.
Can you justify the purchase or do you need a spare craft in reserve?

If Clients request a specific format or output product... most won't accept substitutes.

Good Luck in your endeavors!

Hi m8
Its just the m2p with one battery and the controller, no fly more package. But it is a sealed one, so completely new.
Do you think i will see difference in the photos between the m2p and m2z (with super res on)? I definitely will make that extra costs when the m2p will blow the m2z away... but is that the reality? Im freaking confusing about it, even because i read 688843 reviews with comparings and watch even more video with comparisons, and still not sure pff hahaha.

Sensor is bigger & better overall, and aperture to F11. Those 2 variables generally indicate ability to be better.

Capture method, camera settings and Post Processing can capitalize on those benefits.

Both Zoom and Pro produce good results, In my opinion (as Others) the Pro has potential to capture better images.

Re SuperRes... it's been awhile since I experimented. I think you need to be in Pano Mode and it works with JPG, not Raw. That's a good feature, stitching multiple photos for some purposes. For construction mapping grid or progress shots, not as useful.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22