DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best NONONOYES! Mavic moment?

AlwaysAWOL

Reactions
Had my first 'pit of your stomach' moment the other day. Flew a 1000m across an abandoned gravel pit then straight out over open ocean. Took a picture of a tanker anchored, but kept my distance so I didn't get any interference. Checked my signal, which was great at 4000m out, but then noticed I had dropped from 17 to 13 minutes of flight time over 10 seconds.
Thought something had gone wrong with the battery, or RTH, so all I could do was head back and hope the Mavic didn't die over open water.
Of course, I never looked at the battery % in my light panic, and see now it was just extra draw against a stronger breeze. Made it back with 30%; helped that the wind was against me going out (had checked) so less power consumed coming back. Was a relief seeing the flight time stabilize and making it back over land!

tank.jpg

Glad you got it back safe I had one of those moments 2 days ago I flew I was talking pictures between 2 land masses when I droped my altitude the eind was taking a toll on the AC Iblost about 5 minutes of flight time instantly. My experience with flying on low batteries atleast on my drone it will not let you climb once it start beeping.

Its not only luck! The fact that you checked befere: "the wind was against me going out (had checked)" has helped!
Keep safe!

Had my first 'pit of your stomach' moment the other day. Flew a 1000m across an abandoned gravel pit then straight out over open ocean. Took a picture of a tanker anchored, but kept my distance so I didn't get any interference. Checked my signal, which was great at 4000m out, but then noticed I had dropped from 17 to 13 minutes of flight time over 10 seconds.
Thought something had gone wrong with the battery, or RTH, so all I could do was head back and hope the Mavic didn't die over open water.
Of course, I never looked at the battery % in my light panic, and see now it was just extra draw against a stronger breeze. Made it back with 30%; helped that the wind was against me going out (had checked) so less power consumed coming back. Was a relief seeing the flight time stabilize and making it back over land!

I really really try not to have any NO NO moments. It was only my first time flying my spark. I ended up getting tangled with some electrical wires. Boring story I know. But sometimes boring is a good thing. [emoji41].

I have had the same wind-to-battery change the last couple of days when flying. It has been very windy here in California. The first time I also panicked and did the same thing and began flying back to home. Once I saw that it was an estimate of time and that the battery percentage was correct I felt better and turned around and finished my flight.

I usually fly in an area with hills and set my Return to Home Altitude to the max of the airspace ceiling so that way I will not collide with something on an emergency Return to Home. But I have learned that ascending to 400' also eats battery rapidly. Now I just stop and turn around and head home.

I once had the controller disconnection from my phone because of debris in the lighting port mid-flight. I lost camera visual and control. Fortunately, I had my Return to Home Altitude set to the max. At the time time I was up about 1,200' on mountain and had dropped down to -700' to look at the reservoir. The mountains around me were about 200' higher than where I was. I had given up on my bird and figured I had lost it. As I was moping and packing up my stuff in the car I heard it and watched it land. Watching the footage I could see it took a Return to Home path over one of those mountain tops 200' above where I was. The drone actually ascended almost 1,100' before returning to home.

Moral of the story, if possible set the Return to Altitude higher than anything around you. I would not do it higher if it were not in compliance with airspace altitude restrictions.

Also, I discovered that on a Return to Home due to loss of communication with the controller if your craft is above 400' like when flying up a mountain it will maintain the height it is at above the return to Home Altitude. At times this could be a violation of the FAA altitude above ground or objects rule.

I had an incident like this when flying in an open pit quarry that was 700' above where I took off and I tried to stay an additional 150-200' keeping well within compliance of altitude to ground regulations. When I lost signal/connections and Auto Return to Home was initiated I just waited for it to reconnect. I was able to see that my altitude on the return to home was slightly above 900' when it reconnect. At that point I descended to get closer to the ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO