DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best place to fly LEGALLY near Yosemite

jerryss

Reactions
We're planning a1 week vacation in a few weeks to Yosemite.

I know that it's forbidden in the national park. Where is the best place to fly LEGALLY nearby? (Staying in wawona)

Not trying to be snarky, but did you look at a map?

Sprite_57.jpg

Thanks, yes I have. I was just looking for recommendations from people that have found nice areas.

Not trying to be snarky, but did you look at a map?

Be careful throwing some of that snark around. Quite a bit of that green is actually administered by the USDA Forest Service, which has a pretty liberal policy regarding recreational drone use.

NPS administered lands, whether they are a NP or otherwise, are strictly enforced.

USDA/NFS lands that are not Wilderness areas are pretty reasonably open.

Legally flying from Yosemite National Park proper may be challenging. But a lot of that green is Stanislaus NF and Sierra NF (and Inyo, too!). There are plenty of compelling spots to fly in either of those. Huntington Lake, for one - beautiful.

In fact, the Sierra NF home page has a link for drone use which implies it's kosher.

More edits... sorry.

An example that may cause you trouble. I do not believe you can fly from a Wilderness Area. So, in this region the John Muir Wilderness area is contained within the boundaries of, I think Sierra NF. So you need to be careful where, within Sierra NF, you're operating from.

Last edited:
I was just there last weekend. I found a nice place on 120 from Lee Vining just before the park entrance. We camped at the lower Lee Vining campground. There are a couple small waterfalls and if you get up high enough you can see the nearby lake and get a nice view all round.

Reactions: jerryss
Be careful throwing some of that snark around. Quite a bit of that green is actually administered by the USDA Forest Service, which has a pretty liberal policy regarding recreational drone use.

A) I said for the onset "NOT to be snarky, but..."

B) I never said anything about the "green" area being OK to fly or not. I just asked if he looked at the area map.

C) There is no C.

:p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa