DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best power bank to charge Mavic 3 battery?

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
I am seeking recommendations for a power bank to charge Mavic 3 battery via USB-C port. This would be a cheap back-up power source, useful for long-distance driving on the road. I normally carry three batteries, but they may not be enough for a scenic, long distance driving route. A car charger is useful, but when there are lots of stop-and-go, I still need a power bank to keep the battery charged while not driving.

An ideal power bank for Mavic 3 should have the following features:

1) large capacity (at least 20000 mAh);
2) can go on a flight (less than 27000 mAh);
3) at least one USB-C port can output 65W via USB-PD procotol.
4) relatively inexpensive (o.w. I would just buy another battery)

I looked hard and wasn't able to find one which meets all requirements.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: IBConfused
What is the capacity of a DJI drone battery.

More than 20000 mAh? So at most you can recharge one battery?

What is the capacity of a DJI drone battery.

More than 20000 mAh? So at most you can recharge one battery?

Mavic 3 battery is rated at 77Wh. A 20000 mAh power bank can give it just one charge. But at ~$50, it is a lot cheaper than Mavic 3 battery ($209), plus I can use a power bank to charge other gadgets. So it does has its usage.

have you looked at "solar generators"? Basically a giant power bank you can plug regular things into and recharge me at 12V, solar, or wallplug. Cheaper decent ones start at like $200 and you can use it for power outages or other activities

These go on sale for around $50-60 every few months if you are willing to wait. I found these expired deals on Slickdeals.

I think this is sort of what you want. The 60W PD port is almost the full 65W that the M3 can take. The 19200mAh would charge about one battery if not completely drained. This also comes with a 65W PD wall charger which is pretty nice.

Just keep in mind if you buy a power bank with a lower power output (say 1/2 of 65W) it will take you much longer to charge fully (in this example 2x as long).

Anker Portable Charger, PowerCore III Elite 19200 60W Power Bank Bundle with 65W PD Wall Charger for USB C MacBook Air/Pro/Dell XPS, iPad Pro, iPhone 12/11/mini/Pro and More Amazon.com

Reactions: Etdronehome
I still need a power bank to keep the battery charged while not driving.

Sound like the car charger / DJI part needs good voltage, like the older M1P / M2 drones (and possibly other models).
They need 13.1v, and as you say while driving this is fine, alternators put out around 14v, while the resting 12v battery stands around 12.7v a short time after stopping.

Check on the battery charger unit for voltage requirements.

You CAN charge though with a step up voltage convertor, I used one with my M1P hub charger every long distance, multi week 4WD trip when I toured.
They work well off either the main car charger port (cigarette lighter port must be live, may require accessories left on in most modern vehicles, or rig up a permanent fused plug from your battery), or off a 2nd battery cigarette lighter plug.

This type of unit takes any voltage from 9v - 13v, and steps it up to 13.8v.

I posted about it here on the forum a few times, there are MANY threads asking about problems charging in vehicles.
One post with the relative info . . .

There are other options, like small inverters, and I'd be surprised if someone isn't close (or already on the market) with a larger powerbank especially for the M3.
(Like the Smatree . . . this one an example for the M2 batteries )

Reactions: GadgetGuy
As mentioned above check out this company. Very solid product line - reputable company. Lots of their stuff on Amazon so returnable if you don’t like it.

When considering power banks to charge the Mavic 3, allow for some inefficiencies, typically you get about ~67-70%) (~2/3) of the rated capacity out of the power bank so you'd probably need a 30,000mAh power bank to full charge the .battery assuming you fly it down to 0%.

Smaller ones are fine if you just wanna do topups inbetween flights, much cheaper than new batteries if you dont mind the wait.

I think there is a problem with our understanding of power bank capacity & how energy moves from one storage unit to another. I used to think of stored energy like fluid in a tank - two gallons in one tank can ”flow” into another tank so that the first tank is empty and the second tank has two gallons. In other words 100% transfer.

I don’t think energy actually works like that. Simply because gravity (which makes the example above work if the first tank is above the second tank) doesn’t provide a “force” to get the energy between “tanks”. For my understanding, it helps me to think of energy transfer more like heat (no surprise since heat is a manifestation of energy). Heat moves from a warmer to a cooler object until both objects are the same temperature. If I think of voltage as temperature the energy transfer between storage units makes a bit more sense - energy will move from the unit of higher voltage to the unit of lower voltage until both units reach the same voltage. If the chemistries of the units are similar then they’ll reach the same voltages when they both contain the same amount of energy. So if I ask a 26,000 mAH lithium power pack to dump it’s energy into another lithium storage unit (my Mavic battery) I’ll basically end up with 13,000 mAH in one and 13,000 mAH in the other (roughly speaking) once their voltages reach the same value.

The problem with all this is that I used to confuse mAH as a unit of stored energy with watt hours (WH,another unit of stored energy). Watt hours can be considered as a “complete” unit of stored energy since they are comparable across devices of different voltages. Milli amp hours on the other hand depend upon voltage. 20,000 mAH at 5 volts are only 10,000 mAH at 10 volts. But both are 100 wH.

That was a really long way of saying that I think if one storage unit is “Full” and the other is “empty” you can only move 1/2 the watt hours from one to the other unless you put some other energy into the system. Thus the charging ability of a power bank would not be the same as it’s total energy content.

Howard

Not quite. Powerbank to battery efficiency depends on the efficiency of its switching power supply. Say, if it's 95% efficient, multiply Wh rate of powerbank by 0.95 and it'll tell you how much it's really available to charge with. The rest will be dissipated as heat.

Reactions: claytonc214
I have the Anker Powerhouse II 400 solar generator, I've been using it to charge Mavic 2 Pro batteries via the DC car socket but it will not charge Mavic 3 batteries through the 60W USB C PD port or via the 12V 120W DC car outlet socket, it starts charging slowly for a few seconds then clicks and cuts out, I'm a bit surprised at this but I suspect the 12V output is not quite enough to charge these batteries, they do charge via the inefficient AC outlet socket (4 batteries max).

Beware if spending cash on a solar generator with the intent of charging Mavic 3 batteries via DC.

Has anyone tried charging Mavic 3 batteries on one of the newer LiFePo4 Anker solar generators like the Anker 757?

Last edited:
I am seeking recommendations for a power bank to charge Mavic 3 battery via USB-C port. This would be a cheap back-up power source, useful for long-distance driving on the road. I normally carry three batteries, but they may not be enough for a scenic, long distance driving route. A car charger is useful, but when there are lots of stop-and-go, I still need a power bank to keep the battery charged while not driving.

An ideal power bank for Mavic 3 should have the following features:

1) large capacity (at least 20000 mAh);
2) can go on a flight (less than 27000 mAh);
3) at least one USB-C port can output 65W via USB-PD procotol.
4) relatively inexpensive (o.w. I would just buy another battery)

I looked hard and wasn't able to find one which meets all requirements.

Any recommendations?
I use this: SuperTank Pro 26800mAh 100WPD Portable Power Bank
I recommend it, using it all the time. Expensive though.

Not quite. Powerbank to battery efficiency depends on the efficiency of its switching power supply. Say, if it's 95% efficient, multiply Wh rate of powerbank by 0.95 and it'll tell you how much it's really available to charge with. The rest will be dissipated as heat.
So basically the best way to fully charge your Mavic 3 batteries is by using an AC charger or a 65w DC car charger. IS that correct?

It depends on the powersource efficiency, as stated.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3