DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best practices for flying in cold/freezing temperatures with the mavic air 2?

Yaros

Reactions
I will be flying my mavic air 2 in freezing temperatures for the first time in a few days, I'm coming to Ukraine now in January and the temperatures are below 0°C (32°F).
What are your suggestions for doing so safely?
What I already know:
  • Only fly in good weather, no rain or wet snow
  • The battery needs to be warmed up before flight
  • Fully charge everything, including phone/tablet, remote controller and of course the drone
  • Do not turn on the drone after coming home for about an hour, so the PCB doesn't short out because it's wet
What I'm worried about:
  • Heard stories about drones falling because of prop icing, how can it be avoided?
  • Is it safe for the battery to run at freezing temperatures, will it swell faster if flown regularly in the cold?
  • Is it safe to fly in snow, when it's not wet, of course?

Reactions: Rchawks
"Heard stories about drones falling because of prop icing, how can it be avoided?"

I've never had the props ice up flying in temps down to 5f. It is possible, though.

"Is it safe for the battery to run at freezing temperatures, will it swell faster if flown regularly in the cold?"

If you keep the batteries warm around room temperature, they will be fine flying in cold weather. The batteries will warm up even more during flight. As for swelling, highly unlikely.

"Is it safe to fly in snow, when it's not wet, of course?"

Yes, it is safe to fly but your flight distance may be impacted by the falling snow. Be prepared to wipe the drone down after retrieval, and you'll be fine.

I fly in cold and snowy conditions every winter with no problems. Keep the batteries warm b4 the flight and be aware that distance may be impacted by falling snow limiting both line of sight and the RC.

Cheers!

Trying to fly in the Snow when its not wet is not an absolute, so be careful with that as you risk comprising the battery.
If you can keep the battery warm , than the drone will start up fine, , watch for shorter battery life.

A heavy snow can mean constant winds with little break of that wind.
Your biggest threat will be your phone, ipad , there going to be first to go.

Swelling of the battery would only happen after the Power Button became compromised and was not able to dis charge properly .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow

Reactions: db4476
You would be more likely to develope prop icing in the snow or very humid conditions and below zero C. Just cold conditions and dry prop will be fine. Do however not power it onside after a flight as condensation my set in.

I will be flying my mavic air 2 in freezing temperatures for the first time in a few days, I'm coming to Ukraine now in January and the temperatures are below 0°C (32°F).
What I already know:
  • Fully charge everything, including phone/tablet, remote controller and of course the drone
  • Do not turn on the drone after coming home for about an hour, so the PCB doesn't short out because it's wet
What I'm worried about:
  • Heard stories about drones falling because of prop icing, how can it be avoided?
  • Is it safe for the battery to run at freezing temperatures, will it swell faster if flown regularly in the cold?
Also when bringing all electronics/cameras indoors put in a plastic bag when outdoors and let the electronics warm up before removal to avoid condensation.

Reactions: eEridani
What I already know:
What I'm worried about:
As a pilot, we were taught to be wary of flying when the air temp was within 3 deg (Celsius) of the dew point temperature or the dew point was below freezing, especially when winds were calm. I have not yet flown a drone in these conditions but expect it would be a similar situation. Other than that, I have seen videos on YouTube of drones flying in cold winter conditions without issues specific to the cold.

Reactions: Kilrah
@Yaros, please reply and tell us you are not still in Ukraine 😬
No, I'm not in Ukraine, I'm in Spain for 1 month. Yep, terrifying what is happening over there, although I have family there in Ukraine...

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242