DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best practices for storing batteries

Elvis44

Reactions
With winter season coming I am wondering what is the best practice to store M2P batteries for several months of continued unuse? As I can see they slowly discharge, so should I let them to do so, or I better recharge once a month or two, or else?

With winter season coming I am wondering what is the best practice to store M2P batteries for several months of continued unuse? As I can see they slowly discharge, so should I let them to do so, or I better recharge once a month or two, or else?
Like any battery, best stored in cool dry place... no need to discharge them. These are intelligent batteries, not regular ones.

Reactions: charliesRig
1) Never leave your batteries sitting with a low or zero charge any longer than you absolutely have to, that is probably the worst thing you can do for them.

2) Never run your batteries down to zero or close to zero (20-30% is when most people return to home)

3) After flying, charge your batteries up to the ideal storage level of 40-60% (2 solid lights, third flashing) ASAP after they have cooled down. They are OK at this level for up to 3 months,
after which you should cycle them again. You don't want to wait a long time before charging them, especially if they have been run very low.

4) Never leave your batteries with a full charge unless you intend on using them shortly after - be especially careful not to leave them at 100% for long in very hot climates where it's more common for batteries to swell. The best time to use a battery is shortly after a full charge so you know all the voltages are ideal.

5) Don't not rely on the 10-day auto-discharge, think of that as a fail-safe rather than a convenience feature.

6) Keep an eye on battery voltage when flying (a menu option allows you to display the lowest voltage cell on your screen). If you ever see it drop to around 3.4V or lower, time to land ASAP. Below that I would consider it an emergency as the drone will shut off around 3.0V. Try to be on the ground before then ;)

7) Be especially careful (or don't fly at all) in really cold weather - the batteries are not designed for that and can behave unpredictably. The M2P is technically rated down to -10C, but that is not the whole story. If you have to fly in really cold weather, keep the batteries warm in the car or next to your body until the moment before you need them, and come home early with plenty of battery percentage left. You can check the menu for the battery temperature - never fly unless the internal battery temperature is at least 20C.

8) Optimal battery charging temperature is 22-28C - outside this range the batteries will either charge more slowly or not at all until conditions are met.

Thank you all for your input
I know most if not all the steps for proper battery maintenance
But it was good for me to get a refresher
If you will
Great job guy’s

...cR

Reactions: BigAl07
Would anyone recommend storing batteries in a fridge at say 39 degrees Farenheit? I realize this is on the low side, but living in Texas I keep my house at 80F (to save on electric bill). Which is better for long term battery storage ... on the low side at 39F or on the high side at 80F?

Would anyone recommend storing batteries in a fridge at say 39 degrees Farenheit? I realize this is on the low side, but living in Texas I keep my house at 80F (to save on electric bill). Which is better for long term battery storage ... on the low side at 39F or on the high side at 80F?

DJI's storage temperature recommendation is 22-28C, which is 71.6F - 82.4F. I would leave them at 80F rather than putting them in the fridge (too cold). If you have a basement, it's usually cooler down there and maybe you could put them there? Either way I think you're fine to just store them normally. Just make sure they are discharged to the appropriate level.

Personally, I couldn't live in a house that was 80F - you are much more tolerant than I!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wsutter335