DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best retailers to purchase a DJI drone

Hat-Trick

Reactions
Hi everyone, I joined this forum a few months ago asking for input on which DJI drone I should buy. I received a lot of great input and I appreciate it. But now I am wondering who is a reliable retailer to get one from, Wal Mart, Target ,Best Buy or is buying an expensive drone safe from Amazon?Again thank you in advance for any helpful input.

The best retailers are those that are DJI dealers (like those you mentioned). Don't forget to compare the deals that are available online. In many cases, you can purchase online tax free and shipping free.

I keep a sortable list of daily Mavic deals here:
Buy A DJI Mavic (Deals Updated Daily)

Reactions: Thomas B
The best retailers are those that are DJI dealers (like those you mentioned). Don't forget to compare the deals that are available online. In many cases, you can purchase online tax free and shipping free.

I keep a sortable list of daily Mavic deals here:
Buy A DJI Mavic (Deals Updated Daily)
I can strongly suggest that you consider a reputable retailer like B&H Photo. This is a company that I have purchased from for many years for my photographic and drone equipment needs.

While I do like shopping at B&H too, I certainly wouldn't hesitate buying from other dealers if the price is better. All dealers are selling the exact same items, so there's no benefit to going with the old go to unless you're either wanting to support that specific company or there are other perks like faster shipping, extra warranties, known DJI expertise, etc.

When buying, it's also important to consider how easy it'll be to return an item if it's not delivered as expected. Returns to a big box store like Best Buy are easy since you can walk right in. Returns to Amazon (and some other online retailers) can also be easy too if they have great return policies (like Amazon does).

If price is the first priority in the decision making process, the local big box stores will be charging advertised price PLUS sales tax. In my locale, that approximates 10% of the purchase price. Obviously, on a $1500.00 drone (for example), that’s an EXTRA $150.00 for which you receive nothing. While there are other online retailers similar to B&H Photo, those who have been in business for many years have the returns policies and ease of returns figured out and are quite efficient. The ultimate individual decision of where to purchase comes down to the confidence and convenience placed in your supplier. In general, the big box stores simply are not worth the delta in sales tax and certainly my time in driving across town to stand in the check out line. If on the other hand, the purchase price is only a couple of hundred dollars, then the decision making process of big box versus online becomes more blurred.

If price is the first priority in the decision making process, the local big box stores will be charging advertised price PLUS sales tax. In my locale, that approximates 10% of the purchase price. Obviously, on a $1500.00 drone (for example), that’s an EXTRA $150.00 for which you receive nothing.
You got it! That's why I'm suggesting one should shop around to see what kind of deals are available. Your go to retailer might not always have the best deal.

Shipping cost and sales tax should be factored into the best price search but all of that can go out the window if you run into a problem with the unit. There is nothing like walking into a store with a problem unit and walking out with a new one. If I'm only saving $25 or so on a $1000 item via purchasing online I'm more likely to buy at a local retailer with a no hassle return policy.

I would concur with the logic of shipping and sales tax. I live in WA USA and have a 10% sales tax. Places like DJI direct have no tax and free shipping. You could get this from B&H, and potentially Amazon. I personally bought mine a year ago (on Prime Day) directly from DJI as they had some good deals. Depending on your budget (if the extra 10% or so matters to you) and when you want it by (want in hands now or can wait a week) do what you feel is best but any of the sources should be good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S