DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet that can handle high temperatures

PhoenixBird

Reactions
Hello folks, I’m currently running an iPad mini tablet with my controller but the aluminum frame heats up quickly here in Arizona. I’m worried when we get to the summer weather it will overheat. Does anyone have advice on a rig to keep a tablet cool or an alternative that handles high temps better?

One simple solution would be to run as few apps and programmes on it as possible. That can easily be managed from tab settings. Or in other words, If possible, make it a dedicated tab for flying your drones only. Don’t really know much about IOS honestly but logically that should work.

Reactions: NAVMAV
No consumer electronic devices are really designed to handle high heat. Most manufacturers state the operating range of standard electronics from 0C to 30C or 40C, including DJI. The official operating range of the iPad is 0C to 35C (95F). It's certainly possible that some days are just too hot to fly, just like there are many days that are too cold to fly elsewhere. It's one reason why I bought a white Mavic Air - to keep it as cool as possible in hot conditions.

I think your best bet would just be keeping the sun off of it, maybe with a tablet hood or sitting under an umbrella when you fly. Being in the shade doesn't change the ambient temperature though. Lithium batteries swell in extreme heat as well, it's just not a good scenario. My advice would be to follow manufacturer guidelines - if it's over 35-40C I personally wouldn't fly but that is up to you.

If your tablet is in a case, it'll also help to remove the case before flying.

Thank you for the replies. I think the idea of closing out apps and providing some shade may help here in the desert Southwest. I’m interested to see how the various components work when we reach triple digit temps.

Thank you for the replies. I think the idea of closing out apps and providing some shade may help here in the desert Southwest. I’m interested to see how the various components work when we reach triple digit temps.

iOS actually has good background management, and in the settings menu you can turn off background activity app-by-app if you really want to - there is no need to close anything down. The only App that is going to be doing anything is the DJI GO app, everything else will be insignificant. Unless you are playing a game or running benchmark software, nothing you are doing outside of the DJI app is going to be contributing significantly to the heat. Especially if it's just a WiFi tablet, it won't even be able to do any background refreshing if it isn't connected to anything.

The days of having to close down a bunch of apps to speed up the device (either Android or iOS) are long behind us. The operating systems are much, much better these days in terms of background management and RAM delegation :)

Reactions: Thomas B and NAVMAV
The Mavic itself is not made to work in triple digit temps. There have been cases of batteries swelling due to excessive heat to the point of failure.

Hello folks, I’m currently running an iPad mini tablet with my controller but the aluminum frame heats up quickly here in Arizona. I’m worried when we get to the summer weather it will overheat. Does anyone have advice on a rig to keep a tablet cool or an alternative that handles high temps better?
iPad users frequently report high temperature issues in summer but I don't think I've ever seen one from an Android user.
I've flown several summers without issues using Android.

If you wanted to get the best Android flying tablet, that's the Huawei M3 or M5.
They are at least as good as any iPad out there.

Phoenix Bird your going to have to do early morning flying or late evening after mid may. The battery in the Mavic will get really hot when temps top 100F so from late may to late Sept flying is tricky. Watch your Battery temps the Ipad is the least of your worries IMHO

Thanks; that time of day is the best light anyway. Good point on the battery temp; I’ll keep an eye on that.

While I don't use it with my Mavic, assuming they work with DJI Go 4, I'd recommend a Nexus 7 (they are a few years old though, so not sure if compatible/powerful enough).

The reason I'd imagine they work well, I have had one installed as a "head unit" in my car now for 6+ years. I leave it in there year round, I'm sure AZ gets hotter than VA, but the temp in my car on a hot day has exceeded 100°F (as well as sub zero temperatures) and the tablets never missed a beat.

Thank you; I spoke to another pilot who uses a device with a plastic frame; claims it does not heat up as quickly as a metal framed device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+