DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Best Tornado footage I have ever seen captured by a DRONE

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
The Drone captures the Tornado on so many creative levels , it just shows the potential of what a drone can do .
This is the one video that demonstrates that better than any other I have seen.

This is not my footage , but I wish it was.

Gear to Fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm
Phantomrain.org

Amazing footage, shows the raw power inside these forces of nature, the way it ripped the roof off house after house as it went across it's path, could only imagine the panic of being inside one of those homes.

Reactions: Gagey52
That is insane. I wonder if that first clip is sped up or if its normal speed.
Looks like it's probably normal speed to me. I got a chance to see several tornadoes, including two EF4s at the same time!, across the mid-west a few years back and, besides the rotational and ground speeds they can get up to, what also blew me away (if you'll excuse the pun) was the speed they can form from the initial funnel and then dissipate again - and how random they can be inbetween.

Reactions: Gagey52
Terrifying, I’ve survived cyclones, floods and bushfires but nothing like that. How would you protect yourself from something like that.
Regards

This is insane and a bit crazy. I would not take that kind of chance with my investment, that is for sure, but good on you. This footage is spectacular!

sorry guys but although this is spectacular footage in a perverse sort of way
i personally feel sadness for the destruction and possible lose of life ,that such footage shows
so for that reason i have not watched it
this is my personal opinion and in no way meant to be derogatory to others

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
That is unbelievable and to see how it actually sucks up a house, first the roof then all the insides. Also, how it seems to just stay in one spot for several seconds then quickly moves on and then stops again. Plus a small point on the ground one second and then it goes very wide a second later. Thanks for posting that for us to see Phantomrain. I wonder what drone the guy was using.

Reactions: Torque
i personally feel sadness for the destruction and possible lose of life ,that such footage shows
I had the same reaction at first but then I thought just the scientific value it could provide in furthering our understanding of Tornados makes it pretty valuable in my opinion.

Terrifying, I’ve survived cyclones, floods and bushfires but nothing like that. How would you protect yourself from something like that.
Regards

Get out of its way. Fast.

In the grain belt of the southern mid-west (e.g. Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma) there are typically at least farm tracks on ~1 mile grids, so there's usually a route out if you have time to get to a vehicle, but the further north you go that pattern starts to break down and you need to have a much better idea of where the roads and tracks are, especially once you get up towards the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming. Only other option is a suitably robust storm shelter and hope that the door holds.

Fortunately, despite the number of tornadoes that form in the US, the area of land they occur in is *vast* and overwhelmingly non-residential so, in percentage terms, your odds are pretty decent of never getting up close and personal with a bad one, even if you live right in the middle of Tornado Alley. Events where tornadoes stong enough to cause significant damage actually hit towns, let alone the suburbs of major cities are, fortunately, very rare although they do happen from time to time. Mother Nature, is definitely not to be trifled with!

That said, if you're interested in the weather and/or want some pretty extreme photography, I can highly recommend going storm chasing - just do your homework and pick a guide / tour operator that knows what they are doing (I went with Reed Timmer, who shot the footage above, one year). Be warned that it's a lot of time driving (I visited 9 states during one 2 week trip) and fast-food lunches, with most of the action taking place late afternoon into the evening. But the experience and photography is incredible; Google pictures of Supercells, and you'll see what I mean.

I had the same reaction at first but then I thought just the scientific value it could provide in furthering our understanding of Tornados makes it pretty valuable in my opinion.
Quite right, make understanding of how we have seen photos of the aftermath whereby one house is destroyed yet the neighbor hardly seems touched.

When I was a kid in Cleveland my parents lived across the street from my grandparents. A tornado hit and destroyed my grandpa's garage leaving everything else untouched on the block.

Reactions: adeslauri
I just liked this video but I really don’t “like” it. I want to thank the poster as this is humbling and sad because of the destruction. I guess climate and weather are not so easy to control after all. Amazing energy expenditure - all solar in origin.

2 years ago we had 28 Tornados in a single month. My thinking is that drones are a great tool to help others get out of the way and maybe save some lives.

I never understood how we did not invent some Explosive that could be shot into a cloud that could change the DNA of a tornado as it seems so simple .

I remember this Tornado trying to from in my backyard , it was 3am and only when the Lighting would strike was the Tornado Visible.

2 pics tornado-1.jpg

dfgsxfgdfg-1.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Bolts.

It already happened and there's nothing we could do to stop that OM.. No one died luckily with this one. We watch what's happening in Ukraine also, and seems we can't stop that either. We should face reality in order to understand it better. Hiding from it does nothing.

Reactions: Barbara and koonley
I never understood how we did not invent some Explosive that could be shot into a cloud that could change the DNA of a tornado as it seems so simple .

Interesting thought experiment, but two major issues I can think of; energy and logistics.

The amount of energy in a supercell is massive, as are they (often tens of miles across and stretching as higher than 50,000ft), so you're probably going to need a comparably large detonation to make any kind of difference. Maybe something on the order of a "MOAB" for a blast effect, or a thermobaric weapon for the disruption to the air flows that would result, although I take it we all agree that literally going nuclear is out of the question, even though it might even be able to get the job done?

Supercells are also chock full of water vapour, so any ignition of powder or aerosol based thermobaric weapons might be problematic as well, not to mention any ground effects of the shockwave of a large airburst weapon of either type. Where you detonate is going to matter a lot as well; is that near the top of the anvil, in the heart of the cell, or at the base where the funnels form? The lower you go, the more chance of the shockwave causing more destruction than the twister might have done - especially if you're not entirely sure who or what might be in range.

The real killer for me though is logistics. Firstly of the supercell; just because you have a supercell doesn't mean it's going to form a twister, let alone at a time you can predict, so when you you fire and, per the above, at what part of the supercell? These devices are probably not going to be cheap so you don't want to be wasting shots on a whim, yet storms can go from funnel to devastation in minutes so you can't hang around either.

Then there's the logistics of the geographical area; you're basically looking at something like a larger scale version of Israel's Iron Dome missile defence system covering, as a minimum, all the major population areas of the Mid-West. IIRC, one MOAB requires a modified C130 to "drop", so hardly practical for an Iron Dome type system. Thermobaric might work, as they are apparently capable of being mounted to a cruise missile, and might even be relatively cheap since they are basically flour bombs, but you'd still need to initiate combustion in a very wet and active environment. And then there's all those international laws banning their use that you'd need to square away...

Yes, tornadoes can - and do - cause a lot of damage and also claim a modest number of lives each year (circa 100 in the US), but in the scheme of things they're barely a blip on the radar. If you want to save lives and protect property, you'd probably do much better putting those funds into things like healthcare, transportation safety, infrastructure maintenance, and so on.

, I think there are much better things that the money could be spent on to protect lives and/or property.

@Lets Fly ,you are entitled to your opinion as well ,i was not hiding from anything
i just dont feel the need to watch peoples lives being destroyed by things that we have no control over ,or indeed by mans inhumanity to others because of differences ,that at the end of the day,achieve nothing

The Drone captures the Tornado on so many creative levels , it just shows the potential of what a drone can do .
This is the one video that demonstrates that better than any other I have seen.

This is not my footage , but I wish it was.

Gear to Fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm
Phantomrain.org
Thanks for posting. This has to be of some scientific value. Got to wonder how the drone survived the wind.

Thanks for posting. This has to be of some scientific value. Got to wonder how the drone survived the wind.
Based on the quality of the video, not sure there was much wind for the drone pilot to have to deal with. I would say he out of reach of the storm but the zoom camera worked nicely.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: bikeboy74
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair