DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Travel Drone

RAI

Reactions
Been off the forum for awhile, in SE Asia filming now with my P3P and as much it is really sturdy and great in strong winds, I am in need of a good travel drone as a lot of my access to places is by motorcycle.The P3P is great although the back pack is bulky for travel , both on a motorcycle and in and out of airports.
Would love to hear forum members feed back on their experiences with smaller drones, their hardiness and in strong winds plus travel ease.
Recently there have been some refurbished Mavics become available close to home through the distributor/importer.
Regards Mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 15.20.34.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 15.20.34.png
    882.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Magic Island, Guimaras 23.JPG
    Magic Island, Guimaras 23.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: nick007
Spark shouldn't even be in this discussion. Travel wise being the most important feature the Air is your best bet. Sure its not going to shoot Phamtom or Mavic 2 quality but its portability is what you need for travel. In my opinion I have always been more comfortable flying my air in wind than my Mavic 2. My only complaint with the air is the wifi connection.

From a convenience perspective it's the Air Fly More for me in a SMATREE hard case. In terms of air travel, all I do is put batteries in my hand luggage and SMATREE into suitcase. When on my bike, SMATREE fits into a standard rucksack and also carries my Sony RX100, X3000 and Gorillapod.

In terms of flying in rough conditions, I've had my Air up in 50mph winds and snow with little problem (although I do avoid this type of flying unless something unique is on offer). Dry off worst moisture immediately on landing. Haven't flown in very hot conditions. The Air seems very rugged, which is one of the reasons I've stuck with it. Saving for a Pro 2, but am not selling my Air to offset cost (I may do that later).

I like having the little guy around.

Reactions: calmar81
From a convenience perspective it's the Air Fly More for me in a SMATREE hard case. In terms of air travel, all I do is put batteries in my hand luggage and SMATREE into suitcase. When on my bike, SMATREE fits into a standard rucksack and also carries my Sony RX100, X3000 and Gorillapod.

In terms of flying in rough conditions, I've had my Air up in 50mph winds and snow with little problem (although I do avoid this type of flying unless something unique is on offer). Dry off worst moisture immediately on landing. Haven't flown in very hot conditions. The Air seems very rugged, which is one of the reasons I've stuck with it. Saving for a Pro 2, but am not selling my Air to offset cost (I may do that later).

I like having the little guy around.

So I sold my air when I got my Pro 2 because when I got my Air I never flew my Pro 1 again. Honestly I regret it, there are soo many times I am going somewhere and I am like man I wish I still have my Air. Ill end up buying another one in a year once the price drops again.

Reactions: ImageAmos
If portability is your main concern then probably the Air is for you. Personally I've never agreed with the argument that the Air is more portable than the Mavic. I feel if you can carry an Air then you can carry a Mavic just as easily. Also, if you plan to fly near people, resorts, or points of interest then remember that the Air is one noisy little drone.

Been off the forum for awhile, in SE Asia filming now with my P3P and as much it is really sturdy and great in strong winds, I am in need of a good travel drone as a lot of my access to places is by motorcycle.The P3P is great although the back pack is bulky for travel , both on a motorcycle and in and out of airports.
Would love to hear forum members feed back on their experiences with smaller drones, their hardiness and in strong winds plus travel ease.
Recently there have been some refurbished Mavics become available close to home through the distributor/importer.
Regards Mike
I'm planning a trip to Thailand and was wondering if you got any grief from the airlines or customs people at all. My understanding is you CAN fly with LiPo batteries but you have to carry them on. Did immigration people give you any problems in any countries you visited? I'm wanting to bring my Mavic 2 Zoom along when I go to Phuket but I most certainly don't want to risk getting my drone confiscated by customs or get told I can't transport my batteries

Regards Mike
Did you use filters on those lenses?

No problem with any airline, out of NZ , the whole carry case went into check in baggage including batteries. From Australia on , the batteries had to be put into my carry on bag, no problem with the drone any where else.

Nick007 The filter on my P3P is a variable ND item set on about 12 of 15 for real bright days over water.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest