DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best video editor for Windows (that's not DaVinci Resolve)

koco2202

Reactions
I am very new in editing videos, and I started with the DaVinci Resolve, but its way to complicated for my brain so far.

Any other recommendation out there that can be for "entry level"? I heard a lot about Shotcut, any thoughts?

I have i7 11 Gen Dell Inspiron 5502

Thank you

I am very new in editing videos, and I started with the DaVinci Resolve, but its way to complicated for my brain so far.

Any other recommendation out there that can be for "entry level"? I heard a lot about Shotcut, any thoughts?

Thank you
Maybe "Filmora" ?

What makes DR too complicated for your brain? If you find the right beginner's tutorial, you'll be up and running in an hour. In terms of the basics, what is complicated is that you have to figure out what the icons represent and get to know BMD's terminology. Basic editing in DR is a matter of 1) Open file and set resolution preferences and frame rate. 2) Import media into media pool. 3) Go to Edit page [Shift 4] and drag desired clips into timeline on Edit page. 4) Trim as desired with the razor place deleting razored out sections or Shift-left or Shift-right bracket for trim from front or back. 5) [step 4 and 5 can be reversed]. Drag clips to reorder. 6) Go to Deliver page to set parameters for rendering. 7) Click "Render item(s)".

Now, if you want to do some color adjustments you go to the Color tab [Shift 6] where you may have to spend a moment or two to figure out what's what... though there are basic color tutorials. Usually not much to do in Fairlight (music tab).

I tell you, I've messed around with many "simpler" editing programs and found DR to be the most intuitive. And trust me, I am the most "new software" avoidant person on the forum. I don't even like doing upgrades for programs I already know.

If you create a list of things you want to do I'll be happy to search for simple and quick tutorials if you choose to continue with DR. It really isn't all that hard once you figure out the icons and what they do. That's the hardest part. There is a lot jammed in the program but you don't have to learn it in giant size meals. Bite sized learning will get you there.

Last edited:
Resolve is very capable. I use it and prefer it to Premiere.

Here are two recent and very simple projects I just completed in Resolve. No drone content, though.

The only barrier to use is the user's willingness to learn and the limitations sometimes presented by inadequate hardware. Even that can be solved by the use of proxy files during the editing process.

Blackmagic provides extensive documentation and training. Here is an excellent place to start.

There are quite a few decent Resolve tutorials. BMD’s is thorough and available on their website, others on YouTube, a few decent online ones available through your library, if your library offers access to LinkedIn Learning with Lynda.

Of course, Adobe Premier is very capable, but not free. And your PC has a fast CPU, but the GPU and installed RAM are most important. I use an Alienware w/ I7, 32G RAM and a high-end Invidia GPU for post. And with that configuration, it can still take some time when rendering large projects.

As another member mentioned, there are ways to improve the rendering speed.

Like Resolve, Premier also requires some study time. One feature of Resolve they added in V16 and newer releases is the CUT feature, which offers reduced and streamlined (faster) editing of smaller projects. Good luck!

Here are two recent and very simple projects I just completed in Resolve. No drone content, though.

The only barrier to use is the user's willingness to learn and the limitations sometimes presented by inadequate hardware. Even that can be solved by the use of proxy files during the editing process.

Blackmagic provides extensive documentation and training. Here is an excellent place to start.

That first video was breathtaking Peter. Truly professional. You must have had some real film making training. I aspire to do video productions that well some day.

I like the use of still frames in the video editing. I recently bought Resolve with the Speed Editor. I’ll be interested to try out some of these techniques. Thanks for posting. ????

There are quite a few decent Resolve tutorials...

Of course, Adobe Premier is very capable, but not free....
I will avoid Adobe products wherever possible. Not only are they not free, but with the exception of their "starter" (Elements) versions they only offer a software rental scheme where they pick your pocket every month, charge healthy extra $$ for add-ons that are included in DR (i.e. After Effects) and keep charging you even if you don't use the product unless you cancel. I prefer to buy my software outright and own DR Studio and was happy to pay the $300 which covers me FOREVER. While Adobe does provide ongoing program updates while you're paying to rent their stuff, it is geared more toward the professional who can write off the expense or the well-off of whom the cost doesn't matter. Not for casual, budget minded individuals. Unfortunately I am stuck with Photoshop... because they won't allow me to activate my old purchased version, though it will run perfectly fine on my newer computer.

Editing video is always a fairly complex process. Each editor has strengths and weaknesses that you will need to learn and avoid.

Resolve has always been a world class choice for color correction and end image quality. In the last couple of years it has really blossomed and created very high quality editing, sound, and special effects capabilities to go along with it’s color capabilities. These capabilities, because of their power, can be confusing. For someone just starting, starting here will give you a toolset that you are very unlikely to outgrow. The same cannot be said for all of it’s competitors. Relearning a new tool when you outgrow an old tool is painful.

Reactions: SkyeHigh and Lens

Thank you
Just type Movie Maker in your Windows search bar.

Every video editing task is complicated if you have never edited before. I had never edited a video in my life when I started my drone adventure. I chose Davinci Resolve back at DR 14. I joined the user's group and watched and LEARNED from guys like Casey Faris, Mr Alextech, FilmSimplified and many others. DR 17 is by far ,IMHO, the best. If you are looking to start right from the start and produce a Hollywood masterpiece, you are living in a pipe dream. Once you have learned just a few basics with Davinci Resolve, you will understand why so many video newbees and Bigtime producers prefer Davinci Resolve. Get a pair and learn and try. You will be amazed what you have accomplished! Also it is FREE and it is a complete package. If you become super accomplished, you can purchase for a one time fee $250 for the studio version which add just a few additional features.

Reactions: drone_dh
Just type Movie Maker in your Windows search bar.
Movie Maker is a simple choice, for sure. But interestingly, I found it more difficult to do the simplest things much more so than Davinci Resolve. Perhaps if I were on the Apple platform I would consider Final Cut Pro. The human interface and approach for FCP is considerably different than daVinci resolve or Premier.

What makes DR too complicated for your brain? If you find the right beginner's tutorial, you'll be up and running in an hour. In terms of the basics, what is complicated is that you have to figure out what the icons represent and get to know BMD's terminology. Basic editing in DR is a matter of 1) Open file and set resolution preferences and frame rate. 2) Import media into media pool. 3) Go to Edit page [Shift 4] and drag desired clips into timeline on Edit page. 4) Trim as desired with the razor place deleting razored out sections or Shift-left or Shift-right bracket for trim from front or back. 5) [step 4 and 5 can be reversed]. Drag clips to reorder. 6) Go to Deliver page to set parameters for rendering. 7) Click "Render item(s)".

Now, if you want to do some color adjustments you go to the Color tab [Shift 6] where you may have to spend a moment or two to figure out what's what... though there are basic color tutorials. Usually not much to do in Fairlight (music tab).

I tell you, I've messed around with many "simpler" editing programs and found DR to be the most intuitive. And trust me, I am the most "new software" avoidant person on the forum. I don't even like doing upgrades for programs I already know.

If you create a list of things you want to do I'll be happy to search for simple and quick tutorials if you choose to continue with DR. It really isn't all that hard once you figure out the icons and what they do. That's the hardest part. There is a lot jammed in the program but you don't have to learn it in giant size meals. Bite sized learning will get you there.
Yes, this. Wish I could remember the tutorial I used, but they are out there and you can continue to do more things as you are ready

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent