DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best video settings for fireworks

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’ve just been asked to video light up night (which includes fireworks) with my Air2S, and yes, I do have my Part 107. I noticed that most just use auto exposure but I was wondering if there was a better way? My only experience with fireworks has been with a DSLR which gives me a little more control. Thanks in advance.

Definitely don't want to be using auto exposure because it can't change rapidly enough for the fireworks.

Best to set manually, to where the unlit background is dark. If you don't mind getting just portions of it, adjust the iso as needed for video. (The shutter can't be slowed below 1/25, with the exception of using hyperlapse mode for a video)

For photos can usually look at doing 1 to 4 second long shutter speeds and time the shots before the anticipated explosions.

It's not as easy with the drones that have fixed apertures locked at f/2.8 because you can't use the aperture as exposure control.

I used auto settings for filming the whole display in 4k on Nov 5th. Came out perfectly
Only filmed the lot, and been taking stills from the footage.

Most common mistake I see with fireworks imagery is overexposure.

Underexposure is fixable in post. Overexposure is clipping. Total loss of data.

Reactions: Dbez1
I shot this in auto and was pleased with the end result. Late sunset in the first half then returned later that night for the fireworks in the second half.

Reactions: Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu