DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best WATER rescue device? MY RESULTS

M-A-C

Reactions
I want to thank all who took the time to respond it my original thread “Help! What is the best WATER rescue device?” especially TedS and JMTremblay on MavicPilots site for their detailed responses. Since I posted my request on both the Mavic and Phantom sites I will post this on there as well. Since someone asked for an update on my decision here it is. I decided to do this as a separate thread due too much off topic discussion on my original thread.

There appear to be 4 types of products out there. My evaluation is for crashing on water not landing on water. Some factors in my decision by product.

Getterback: A device that does not work unless the water depth is greater than 10 feet which is not good for many lakes. Also it allows the drone to end up on the bottom of the lake. It is a one use product. Bobber will be difficult to find due to very small size.

Round Floats from many Chinese vendors: Need to purchase 2 units one for each drone. Looks like they will break off during a crash. My concern is wind resistance if I get into a headwind. Also they look silly. They typically raise the center of gravity of the drone so if a drone was to auto land on water they would most likely allow the drone to flip over. A lot of volume to carry around and put on and take off.

Flat floats from Phantomrain.com: Need to purchase 2 units one for each drone. These look like they will definitely survive a water crash and would be reusable. A concern is wind resistance if I get into a headwind. Another concern, the drone props have to overcome the weight of these floats and the downward wind resistance as they block downward air flow. I was concerned with reduced flight time. A lot of volume to carry around and put on and take off. After a crash the float would end up on the surface with the drone below it, but the profile would be difficult to see unless the water was flat. Any waves and there was only going to be something 1-2” floating on the surface. Not easy to find. After one comment about this type of device, I realized that high end life vests are worn uninflated. They are only designed to be inflated when and if a person hits the water they can manually activate them to fill up. Higher end units automatically activate. In all fairness these floats appear to be designed for landing on water within short distance from the pilot and may very well work fine for that application. Also if your drone decides to auto land on water this device may work fine but any rough water and it could flip as the float raises the center of gravity which will enhance its ability to flip.

I purchased the DR9 Drone Life Preserver from drone-retriever.com and 2 sets of reflectors.
They arrived yesterday and were mounted to my Mavic Platinum.

Side evaluation: The reflectors look nice. Last night I placed my drone at the end of a field about 3 football fields away on a tree branch several feet above the ground.
My dad came over about 8:00pm and it was dark, I told him that I wanted to see if he could find my drone in the field as I wanted to see if the reflectors helped. He only knew that he was looking for my Mavic Platinum and he used my new LED flashlight. He spotted reflections at about 2 football fields from the drone and became curious. As we approached with the flashlight pointing at the drone it lit up like a beacon. Although not a water device it will definitely help locate a lost drone in the woods.

This morning I flew the drone with the life preserver attached to the top. No issues it flew so well that I couldn’t notice any performance shortcomings. After 1 min of flying you don’t even notice that it is on the drone. There was absolutely no wind so flight time was only reduced by about 5 min. My drone usually has >28min of flight time and hovers at 4800rpm after precision takeoff. With this unit attached and hovering the rpms increase to 5600 or 16.7% higher. So 28min less 16.7% gives an estimated flight time of 28 - 4.7 = 23.3min which I can live with and I actually got. A nice feature about this device is that it makes handling the drone very easy as it does work like a handle when attached to the top of the drone. Yes the stress level when flying over water does drop knowing that if the drone or in my case when the drone crashes it will be saved and easy to find with an orange air buoy floating on the surface of the lake. Also it is so compact that it easily fits into my drone bag when not attached to the drone.

The quality of the unit is excellent. When my dad saw it he told me that the activator that they used is the same type used on professional high end marine life vests which had been redesigned to accept a much smaller CO2 cylinder [he is an engineer]. I asked him to estimate what it cost me, to see if I got a good deal. His guess was $50.00 more than the delivered $79.00 price.

Finally, if you want a straight forward competitive comparison of rescue devices their website does a good job of providing insight on this product as well as various other types of devices. Also if you have or had a water event this site tells and shows what to do to after the drone goes swimming. I just purchased a gallon of methanol on Amazon.

Hope this is helpful to others and it is only 1 opinion, so do your own research.
Fly safe and thanks again for the insight provided.
Maureen

"" Flat floats from Phantomrain.com: Need to purchase 2 units one for each drone. These look like they will definitely survive a water crash and would be reusable. A concern is wind resistance if I get into a headwind. Another concern, the drone props have to overcome the weight of these floats and the downward wind resistance as they block downward air flow. I was concerned with reduced flight time. A lot of volume to carry around and put on and take off. After a crash the float would end up on the surface with the drone below it, but the profile would be difficult to see unless the water was flat. Any waves and there was only going to be something 1-2” floating on the surface. Not easy to find. ""

The Wind Resistance of the Rescue Jackets is 5 minutes of flight time lost with 5 to 10 mph winds .
The Super Low Profile of the Rescue Jackets allow it to handle much bigger waves and rough waters as shown in several videos. Remote Landing and take offs.

If your flying with VLOS finding the drone is easy as the bottom of the NEON color is bright and big at the bottom of the Unit.
Designed that way. The Bigger Foot Print on the bottom of the Unit.

Very Cool keeping in mind that the Rescue Jackets extend VLOS to 2800 FT in broad day light.

Your research would be much more respected if you actually used the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets , RESULTS implies that you used the Rescue Jackets when you did not.
There is not a concern or worry that these will not work , so the stress level is ZERO when flying over the water . where those cartridges can fail as we have pointed out..
Resuce Jacekt for fish Tackle..jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

Last edited:
Glad to see you went with the DR9 Drone Life Preserver, this would definitely have less impact on flight characteristics

Here are some real Results when we put the Air 2 Rescue Jacket on the Phantom 4 Pro a much heavier drone just to see how it would hold up in a crash.
Notice the battery still working under the Water using the Phantom Wet Suit , pretty cool .

Are the other circuit boards waterproofed as well ?
What's the use of the battery still working, will that allow "find my drone" to work while it's in the water ?

Glad to see you went with the DR9 Drone Life Preserver, this would definitely have less impact on flight characteristics

You should at least do some research before making such claims as DEFINITELY have less impact on flight characteristics .
The DR9 Drone Life Preserver weighs more than the Rescue Jackets and is positioned on the drone without a counter balance.

The best thermal camera Systems , the best Flotation devices such as the Rescue Jackets have a counter balance. :cool:

Do yourself a favor and type in DR9 Drone Life Preserver in You tube and than post its flight Characteristics.
you will find evidence of Prop intrusions on the drone because its top heavy and very few videos of it flying .

Look at our videos of the Rescue Jackets in full sport mode - Vertical Up and Down no warnings .
Sport mode 2800 ft out no Prop Intrusions. This is do to having that Counter Balance.

As far as "what use is the battery working under water , its the sole reason of why
the Wet Suits Protect the battery which allows them to fly in the Rain. Both the Air 2 and the Mavic 2 and Mavic Pro Wet Suits have the same system.

This is also allows the Drone to Handle the Splashing associated with landing on the Open Seas.
Protecting that Battery on the DJI Drones is Powerful.

The phantom still running under water is an awesome display of how the the Wet Suits protect the battery. . . :)

Reactions: hiflyer201
I think a better combination would be the Phantom rain wetsuit and the DR9, that overcomes most of the flight issues for the smaller MPP.
You get waterproofing/ additional flotation and the ability to retrieve the drone from the water

DR9 does weigh more, but it should be ok if mounted inline with the COG.
For me the rescue jacket would be less aerodynamic and act like a sail, but this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I want to thank all who took the time to respond it my original thread “Help! What is the best WATER rescue device?” especially TedS and JMTremblay on MavicPilots site for their detailed responses. Since I posted my request on both the Mavic and Phantom sites I will post this on there as well. Since someone asked for an update on my decision here it is. I decided to do this as a separate thread due too much off topic discussion on my original thread.

There appear to be 4 types of products out there. My evaluation is for crashing on water not landing on water. Some factors in my decision by product.

Getterback: A device that does not work unless the water depth is greater than 10 feet which is not good for many lakes. Also it allows the drone to end up on the bottom of the lake. It is a one use product. Bobber will be difficult to find due to very small size.

Round Floats from many Chinese vendors: Need to purchase 2 units one for each drone. Looks like they will break off during a crash. My concern is wind resistance if I get into a headwind. Also they look silly. They typically raise the center of gravity of the drone so if a drone was to auto land on water they would most likely allow the drone to flip over. A lot of volume to carry around and put on and take off.

Flat floats from Phantomrain.com: Need to purchase 2 units one for each drone. These look like they will definitely survive a water crash and would be reusable. A concern is wind resistance if I get into a headwind. Another concern, the drone props have to overcome the weight of these floats and the downward wind resistance as they block downward air flow. I was concerned with reduced flight time. A lot of volume to carry around and put on and take off. After a crash the float would end up on the surface with the drone below it, but the profile would be difficult to see unless the water was flat. Any waves and there was only going to be something 1-2” floating on the surface. Not easy to find. After one comment about this type of device, I realized that high end life vests are worn uninflated. They are only designed to be inflated when and if a person hits the water they can manually activate them to fill up. Higher end units automatically activate. In all fairness these floats appear to be designed for landing on water within short distance from the pilot and may very well work fine for that application. Also if your drone decides to auto land on water this device may work fine but any rough water and it could flip as the float raises the center of gravity which will enhance its ability to flip.

I purchased the DR9 Drone Life Preserver from drone-retriever.com and 2 sets of reflectors.
They arrived yesterday and were mounted to my Mavic Platinum.

Side evaluation: The reflectors look nice. Last night I placed my drone at the end of a field about 3 football fields away on a tree branch several feet above the ground.
My dad came over about 8:00pm and it was dark, I told him that I wanted to see if he could find my drone in the field as I wanted to see if the reflectors helped. He only knew that he was looking for my Mavic Platinum and he used my new LED flashlight. He spotted reflections at about 2 football fields from the drone and became curious. As we approached with the flashlight pointing at the drone it lit up like a beacon. Although not a water device it will definitely help locate a lost drone in the woods.

This morning I flew the drone with the life preserver attached to the top. No issues it flew so well that I couldn’t notice any performance shortcomings. After 1 min of flying you don’t even notice that it is on the drone. There was absolutely no wind so flight time was only reduced by about 5 min. My drone usually has >28min of flight time and hovers at 4800rpm after precision takeoff. With this unit attached and hovering the rpms increase to 5600 or 16.7% higher. So 28min less 16.7% gives an estimated flight time of 28 - 4.7 = 23.3min which I can live with and I actually got. A nice feature about this device is that it makes handling the drone very easy as it does work like a handle when attached to the top of the drone. Yes the stress level when flying over water does drop knowing that if the drone or in my case when the drone crashes it will be saved and easy to find with an orange air buoy floating on the surface of the lake. Also it is so compact that it easily fits into my drone bag when not attached to the drone.

The quality of the unit is excellent. When my dad saw it he told me that the activator that they used is the same type used on professional high end marine life vests which had been redesigned to accept a much smaller CO2 cylinder [he is an engineer]. I asked him to estimate what it cost me, to see if I got a good deal. His guess was $50.00 more than the delivered $79.00 price.

Finally, if you want a straight forward competitive comparison of rescue devices their website does a good job of providing insight on this product as well as various other types of devices. Also if you have or had a water event this site tells and shows what to do to after the drone goes swimming. I just purchased a gallon of methanol on Amazon.

Hope this is helpful to others and it is only 1 opinion, so do your own research.
Fly safe and thanks again for the insight provided.
Maureen

There is also the drone retriever at drone-retriever.com. i'm not inclined to test it with my drone, but the videos are impressive

I always use it when I fly over water now. I have not formally tested reduction in flight time, my guess would be about 5 minutes. Although it looks cumbersome, and needs to be attached without obscuring sensors ( which can be tricky), it is another flavor of a water rescue device. These pics are from my M2P. It does block the "safe landing" sensor, which has pros and cons.

Attachments

• drone retriever on M2P #1.jpg
    drone retriever on M2P #1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 78
  • Drone retriever on M2P #2.jpg
    Drone retriever on M2P #2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: DirtyDrone
There is also the drone retriever at drone-retriever.com. i'm not inclined to test it with my drone, but the videos are impressive

I always use it when I fly over water now. I have not formally tested reduction in flight time, my guess would be about 5 minutes. Although it looks cumbersome, and needs to be attached without obscuring sensors ( which can be tricky), it is another flavor of a water rescue device. These pics are from my M2P. It does block the "safe landing" sensor, which has pros and cons.

Your a bit late to the party, didn't you read the OP's post, she got the DR9 from Drone-Retriever. ?
Also why would you mount the DR9 underneath the drone, doesn't it get in the way of landing ?

Your a bit late to the party, didn't you read the OP's post, she got the DR9 from Drone-Retriever. ?
Also why would you mount the DR9 underneath the drone, doesn't it get in the way of landing ?

My bad. i did not read the original post thoroughly. I have a sometimes bad habit of skimming.

Also my bad: I didn't realize it was called the DR9. The sticker on mine says "Drone-Retriever," and then has the company's website, so I thought the name of the device was "Drone Retriever."

But, hopefully there was some useful info in my post. Like photos showing: a) bottom mount; b) mount on M2P (OP has an MPP); and c) the zip tie position and proximity to battery release.

Re: bottom mount:
a) I figured a top mount would make the drone overly top heavy. ; and

b) As to landing with a bottom mount, true: it can't be done. But, it makes the hand catch, (which I do frequently when flying near water, given beaches rocky shores etc,) easier.

In any event. I gather that I need to read closer in order to be considered on time for the party.
ed

Reactions: hiflyer201
keep us advised please. It sounds as if you could be expecting another crash. I think you mentioned in your first post that you have had more than your fair share of bad luck.

Here are some real Results when we put the Air 2 Rescue Jacket on the Phantom 4 Pro a much heavier drone just to see how it would hold up in a crash.
Notice the battery still working under the Water using the Phantom Wet Suit , pretty cool .

Definitely a better product from a supplier who isn't afraid to show extreme testing!

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Finally, if you want a straight forward competitive comparison of rescue devices their website does a good job of providing insight on this product as well as various other types of devices
Glad you like your purchase. I would be skeptical about the "straight forward competitive comparison" whether false or true though. I think the drone retriever website could "maybe" have a little bias for there own product. Best to do your own research.

Glad you like your purchase. I would be skeptical about the "straight forward competitive comparison" whether false or true though. I think the drone retriever website could "maybe" have a little bias for there own product. Best to do your own research.

Haven't yet seen a product website that isn't biased towards it's own product, probably would defeat the purpose of having a product website ;)

I went with the drone retriever as well, but only plan on using it if I were flying over open water. Wouldn’t bother over rapids as I do a lot of video over these types of water.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3