DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to save a flight path and do it again - precisely!

DieselE

Reactions
I need to shoot a forest area and then do it again after works and then again when it is in bloom. What's the best way to do that so as i can mix between the images on a slow fly past and show the time lapse differences over 9 months? I need to be able to name and save the flight path. Will it be accurate enough (I'll shoot 4k so as I can adjust the images slightly to align). Cheers.

I need to shoot a forest area and then do it again after works and then again when it is in bloom. What's the best way to do that so as i can mix between the images on a slow fly past and show the time lapse differences over 9 months? I need to be able to name and save the flight path. Will it be accurate enough (I'll shoot 4k so as I can adjust the images slightly to align). Cheers.
Im going to recommend Drone link for this particular project or Drone Deploy but I think you can get away the drone Link which cost a lot less . Both programs can deliver and pick up exactly where you left off but Drone Deploy is capable of much much more autonomous missions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and land on Water.

The most used program for repeatable video flight paths is Litchi.
It's very affordable and extremely capable.

Thanks guys - you run these apps INSTEAD of the DJi one? They have all the core functions (like set RTH height etc) and will keep my stick speed/reaction settings and camera tilt speed settings? Thanks

Thanks guys - you run these apps INSTEAD of the DJi one? They have all the core functions (like set RTH height etc) and will keep my stick speed/reaction settings and camera tilt speed settings? Thanks
Depending on which you chose you can use one or the other (never both at same time!) when you chose and all settings and such are locked in as most is stored in Drone once set not app dependent. For me Litchi was the way to go over 5 years ago. I like how it uses voice of telemetry downlink. So like newer RC rigs it is constantly repeating (You can select which, how often or turn off) the flight data so you don't have to look down as much.

I know many Pilots that use the Litchi App and it's GUI and never touch the Go App again. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: djsteen
Thanks guys - you run these apps INSTEAD of the DJi one? They have all the core functions (like set RTH height etc)
The core functions come from the drone firmware and are the same with any app.
and will keep my stick speed/reaction settings and camera tilt speed settings? Thanks
Litchi has as much information as you program into it.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
I believe that both Maven and Copterus (iOS only) will do it. I have both, but not had the chance (lockdown/weather) to try them yet.

I use litchi with a Mavic 2 Zoom and love it. Yes, you use it instead of GO4 and it has all the same settings and menus you need. You can also fly waypoint missions that you create in the app, or create missions on your desktop computer, then retrieve them in the app and fly them as often as you want. Litchi will work with most DJI drones, but not all so make sure you check compatibility before you purchase and download it. Cost is $25 and it is available in both android and ios devices. It also works great on the Smart Controller, which is where I use it. Check out some you tube videos on it and dronlink, which I do not have.

Does Litchi work with MA2 tho?
I don't think litchi waypoints work with MA2, at least that's what I read somewhere. I believe the program is compatible, but the waypoints don't work as of this moment. People assume it will in a future update, but make sure you check it out before you download it that is the main feature you are looking for.

Thanks guys - you run these apps INSTEAD of the DJi one?
You don't necessarily need to use Litchi instead of the appropriate DJI app.
You use it when you need the features it excels at like waypoint flying and use the DJI app for general flight.
I find the DJI app is better for most things but Litchi is the go-to program for waypoint flights.

You don't necessarily need to use Litchi instead of the appropriate DJI app.
You use it when you need the features it excels at like waypoint flying and use the DJI app for general flight.
I find the DJI app is better for most things but Litchi is the go-to program for waypoint flights.
I'll 2nd that, that's basically what I do as well.

Does Litchi work with MA2 tho?
Will Litchi run on the Mini-2?

Would I be able to establish a path to a particular 3D waypoint, and then essentially push a button to tell the Mini-2 to go to that waypoint?

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
OK. Are there any options that are known to work on the Mini-2?

Worst case, I guess I can just record spherical coordinates, in the form of compass direction from the home point, distance from the home point, and elevation above the home point.

Unless my caffeine level is still too low this morning, that should define a unique point in the space around me.

Thx!

TCS

The OP did not state aircraft or DJI App, thus this thread went to the most popular app, Litchi. If you use the Fly App you will have to use one of the other Apps. If however you use Go 4 then Litchi Applies and excels at what it does.

It unlike the others doesn't use the old and now new to some of you Virtual Stick Control. You tell it to go and fly, what to look at where you fly, how long to do it and how fast to fly along that route. Once you launch, that's it, it flies that route independent of range or loss of signal so gives a better option for those who can use it around/under objects that might block the signal...YMMV.

As to newer aircraft you just have to wait for the availability of the DJI SDK for your aircraft if and when DJI wish to release it. DJI didn't include any promises to do so, so best to hope they do provide that outlet for developers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett