DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best way to transport / carry?

Buel

Reactions
Hello.
I am still lugging the mini around in it's cardboard box that it came in....what is the best carrying case / similar to transport it?

Great that you Lol but have you got any useful advice or not, Reef?

Personally I think the flymore case is quite good ..............BUT..........there is the concern about squashing props. I used to store the rear/bottom props pointing slightly forward under the drone's nose but a couple of days ago I cut away the forward shoulders of the recesses for the rear motors which allows their props to point more towards the front than previously. The red lines drawn on the attached are an attempt to depict the cutting plane, the yellow lines are the base of the 'old' walls.
The front props point forwards atop their arms and are between 3 blocks of foam as shown in the attached. The middle block of foam is loose and tethered to the case, the two outer blocks of foam are glued to the case.

Attachments

• flymore case mods.jpg
    flymore case mods.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 198
Reactions: JohnDRhodes
Personally I think the flymore case is quite good ..............BUT..........there is the concern about squashing props. I used to store the rear/bottom props pointing slightly forward under the drone's nose but a couple of days ago I cut away the forward shoulders of the recesses for the rear motors which allows their props to point more towards the front than previously. The red lines drawn on the attached are an attempt to depict the cutting plane, the yellow lines are the base of the 'old' walls.
The front props point forwards atop their arms and are between 3 blocks of foam as shown in the attached. The middle block of foam is loose and tethered to the case, the two outer blocks of foam are glued to the case.
Thank you for this, really appreciate it. Being as I am a newbie, I have to ask - bending the props is bad news?

bending the props is bad news?
Bending as you might bend the bow of a bow and arrow, maybe not so critical..within limits but not good.........BUT..... twisting them so that the front edge ( leading edge ) is not as much above the rear edge (trailing edge) as it should be i.e. reducing the "pitch", and or flattening the blade so that the curvature from leading edge to trailing edge is reduced, is BAD. It reduces the amount of lift that the blade produces at any given speed, meaning that the motor has to spin faster to generate the required lift.
It appears that this loss of lift and excessive speed and probably excessive power consumption has produced a number of problems including "uncommanded descents" resulting in crashes or drone loss.This distortion seems to most frequently affect the rear props and can cause problems in forward flight (they have to lift the rear of the drone so that some thrust from each prop pushes the drone forward) especially when the battery is getting low. A partial, stop gap, save the drone, solution is to turn the drone around and fly backwards ( which puts the load on the front props) get it hopefully to safety and DOWN.
There are loads of threads about this in here that will provide some light bedtime reading

As wonderful as DJI drone designs are, their accessories and peripherlals could use some additional thought. As I read about the Mini's Fly More case to be a little tight the same can be said for the Fly More case for the Mavic 2 Pro. Yet the Fly More case from the M2P accomodates the Mini perfectly, complete with controller, batteries, gimblal hood, range extenders and everything you'd need short of chargers. I'm not so sure why DJI couldn't design bags with a little more breathing room. I guess Naugas in China are an endagered species, thus the conservation of Nauga hides.

Another option is this $16 case from Amazon. It's so small it easily fits in a backpack. But if you need more protection and waterproof you can also buy an Apache 2800 (from Harbor Freight Tools) for $22 and the innards from the amazon case fits perfectly in the Apache hard case and leaves enough space for everything else you need... plus a sandwich for lunch :). The 2800 is also just small enough that I can get it in my backpack if I don't want to carry it with the handle.

MM Cases.jpg

Thank you for this, really appreciate it. Being as I am a newbie, I have to ask - bending the props is bad news?

It's a long story that all MM owners need to read:

DJI makes this prop guard, which might be a safer way to carry in a coat pocket or backpack.

Thank for sharing that Kyle. That prop guard seems to make more sense than most of the others. It appears that the props sit contained but not restrained while the body of the bird sits on the two horizontal rails. The top props only need to keep from flopping around (top props no flop ? ) and I think it makes it comfortable to put the mini in a case laying down... or carry in a non form fitted case or (scarily) a pocket.

What a lot of folks don't realize is that this type of plastic develops a memory and if deformed over a very small period of time it will become permanently deformed- and dangerous. If there are any skiers here who've ever left your boot buckles unbuckled overnight you'll know exactly what I mean. Mini props are extremely thin and will bend if you look at them the wrong way.

Reactions: JohnDRhodes
I’ve just bought this case for my Mini: Mavic Mini "Smart Edition"

It’s not the cheapest case (I got it cheaper on eBay) but it’s well-made and the foam insert is very high quality. It holds the Mini unfolded and it stores the controller with the sticks attached. It doesn’t store the charging hub but I don’t use this “in the field“ so not a limitation for me - being as compact as possible with the Mini unfolded was my priority.

Even if the auction is now closed, do you have the ebay link ? Thanks

Hello.
I am still lugging the mini around in it's cardboard box that it came in....what is the best carrying case / similar to transport it?
I just bought this bag on Amazon:
TOMAT Mavic Mini Shoulder Bag, Portable Carrying Case Backpack for DJI Mavic Mini Drone Traveling Case Accessories, price $27.99.
This bag seems to be well made and is perfect for hiking. I can even carry my ipad and mount in the bag.20200810_100340.jpg20200810_100410.jpg20200810_100641.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rpeeps
Last time I used a Li-Po bag for the batteries and stored them in another bag. Just to be safe at 5 miles in the air...

Ta, has it arrived yet? If so did you get clobbered for import duties? I am not sure what the situation now is with regards to stuff coming from the EU

Ta, has it arrived yet? If so did you get clobbered for import duties? I am not sure what the situation now is with regards to stuff coming from the EU

It arrived quicker than the eBay forecast - ordered on 4 Aug, delivered on 8 Aug. No import duties in the UK as we're still part of the EU. It's a great case.

Hi Buel,
I have been taking rc quadcopters, trucks, buggys, planes, wings, and even trains with me or mailed ahead of time for many years.
The best "case" if you are going to be traveling, would be a good hard case that keeps each piece of equipment in its own little spot. Also, you want it to have several locking mechanisms not just one and a spot or spots to provide 1 or 2 locks (I like the rotating number locks that don't require keys), and finally water proofness, if you are going to be on a boat a lot or around water... Now, you can completely water proof your bird so you dont need to ever worry about it,, but you can google that one. I now also use a tiny working GPS in case my case gets jacked or lost, I can find/locate where it is exactly at the press of a button and be ready ahead of time (stretch out or find a good weapon) to get it back or just kindly ask the receptionist at baggage claim that you have a black case about 3 meters from where you are standing and would like it back. The gps units are inexpensive now as to what they used to be and you can buy a single use calling card to activate your GPS for a month.
Now if you are hiking, touring a city, or what have you, a backpack with a hard enclosure that has several velcro tie down straps are awesome. What you want is something that will not allow your stuff to move around and get damaged. The soft bags are good if you are walking out of your car and to a park bench. But if you are really huffin it, don't chance breaking anything cause you will regret it and not be able to get those sweet azz shots. Good luck ? I've gotta go...

Reactions: vindibona1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S